Sign in to follow this  
unorthodox

I want to try something...

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi there!

Please help me by telling me if this is possible. I dislike certain custom buildings in the game and I want others but they grow too often killing the diversity. So, in the first case, can I delete the Lot (to avoid the building to grow) but leaving the Model, so there won't be brown boxes? Does the lot still work if I do so?

Second case... I install some residences in a NYC-based city, they grow all over. In the next city, I don't want them to grow but I still want them to appear, know what I mean? Even in the same city (tile), I want a zone with those buildings, deleting the lot but leaving the model will avoid brown boxes plus making the residencials workables?

Thanks!

thats actually a really good question...im not sure if it would work though...you might get missing texture issues if you remove the lot file...but if it did work it would definitely solve the lot-repetition problem...im gonna set up an experiment and i'll post my results here.

• Original Poster
  • XD

Honestly, I want to know what would happen. Why don't I do it myself? Well, I'm eating my head configuring the RTMT, but I plan to try it tomorrow, anyway I'm willing to know what's the result!

The plot of this: I'm kinda tired of the cancer-Rlots, the ones that only grow cause they've got huge occupancy, so, I allow them to grow freely in a neighbourhood and when I get tired of them, I just delete the lot, but keeping the building. Do you know a workaround? They tell me to reduce occupancy but I can't even make SC4tool work in my system...

sorry for delay..

My results have concluded that removing only the "lot" file from your plugin folder will prevent that lot from growing while leaving any existing lots intact and functional.

experiment1c.jpg

experiment3.jpg

this one mansion seems to dominate all high-wealth areas for me, i think its prevalence is caused by its low stage and its variety of lot sizes. most of Haarlemmergold's lots only have one size and i do get a nice variety in other areas.

..so i removed all three '.SC4lot' files without removing the '.SC4Desc' and '.SC4Model' files...and restarted the game..it appears that they remain in the game with no texture issues and without crashing-to-desktop. the lot also stays functional in terms of population/commuting and no longer grows in the game.

experiment4b.jpg

*also note that the degraded wealth of the lot is not caused by the experiment, it happen because of something else i was messing with.

also check out a "jughandle" intersection i'll be posting in the "show us your..."

The game really seems to conceive of Lots as "containers".  Once the game has opened and unloaded the "container", it discards it and simply cares about the contents (buildings, props and textures) and properties (number of residents/jobs, dimensions, etc.) inside it.  That's why if you change a Lot in the Lot Editor, it generally won't affect update existing instances of it in a city.  And as long as the props and buildings are still contained in your Plugins folder, the game will be none the wiser and the existing instances will look just as they always have.

I've used this trick quite a few times myself--it definitely comes in handy when you're trying to control what grows.

-Alex (Tarkus)

• Original Poster
  • Awesome guys, you've made my day!! Finally I can use some buildings just when and where I want to, without seeing brown boxes, empty spaces or even worse, losing population!

Many and many thanks!