Sign in to follow this  
Pipcard

Is there anything wrong with using little to no custom content?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I sometimes hear people bashing others over using just Maxis content. I know custom content makes it more interesting, but can you stop the bashing?

Also, does every CJ have to have some sort of storyline? With dialogue, etc?

Hey Pipcard,

Really?!? You hear people bashing others over lack of custom content? That's sad. They really shouldn't be doing that, you should report these to a moderator.

There is nothing 'wrong' with using no custom content, but remember it makes the game athsthetically better. It's there for your benefit.

CJs do not have to have a story, by no means. Some of the best CJs are merely showcases. Although it is best to give captions on pictures to explain the images.

-ROFLyoshi

..i think the idea of a completely vanilla city journal (no mods, no NAM, no custom content, no cheats) goes against the orientation of this website...the only way someone could achieve anything with a vanilla CJ, would be to use it as a platform for explaining the deeper logarithms and core functions of the original game..a game that has many flaws and bugs, by the way.....

..but 'no' and 'little' are very different because 'little' can change into 'plenty' but 'no' will always be 'none'

..ROFLyoshi is right about aesthetics (even though its spelled wrong) ....for instance, the CP Meadowshire terrain mod has 1000x more terrain textures then the vanilla game..why not??

..lastly..

a city journal only needs one thing....there is only one thing that is absolutely essential to a CJ...and thats good pictures..

...not great or breathtaking pictures (which are better)..but just good....which means no grid and no UDI, no undeveloped zones..that sort of thing....photography is an art form too, and the pictures of your city should reflect it in that sense....if they dont, you can be sure that i will skip any dialogue or story, or even text.

Like is said above, No, there is nothing wrong with using maxis only for a CJ

Like ive said and many have said countless times, Simcity is like art. A CJ is a showcase of your art. Whether you draw with crayola crayons, or sculpt out of marble, you can still create beautiful works of art. Its not what you have, its what you do with it. And there have been some great CJ's based off of Maxis content. Custom content just helps. Its like, take Maxis content. Thats like a large artists pack of 50 crayons 40 pencils, etc. Now create art with that. You are more than able to do so. Custom content however is like this. You are granted access to a large art store, and you are able to use anything in there. You can create the same art, you just have more to work with, like that certain color that wasnt in the pack that you had at home. Both art pieces are fantastic (unless your as good an artist as me, then your stick figures still look horrible) and you can take pride in what you've done4.gif

Originally posted by: kolnikov inc
..i think the idea of a completely vanilla city journal (no mods, no NAM, no custom content, no cheats) goes against the orientation of this website...the only way someone could achieve anything with a vanilla CJ, would be to use it as a platform for explaining the deeper logarithms and core functions of the original game..a game that has many flaws and bugs, by the way.....

quote>

Just to answer back at what you said, No it doesnt go against the site orientation. Simtropolis is a fansite built, designed, and showcased to bring fans of the Simcity games together and to share ideas, thoughts, designs, and anything Simcity related. To go against the site orientation would be to hampen any one of those and any one who opposes. This site may be a dirktatorship, But its a benevolent one 40.gif

And yes the game has flaws, but thats one thing that makes it fun. Trying to work around problems to gain an ultimate goal is what this game is about 48.gif

I wouldn't dare to say "bashing". It's true that the first thing some users say is "get some custom content" but it's just their opinion and this doesn't mean a CJ is bad. Just a matter of tastes.

I've seen great CJs using only Maxis stuff, like CSGDesign's Natural Growth (now it has its own website), Benedict's Port Sin or Tyson4's SC4 Unplugged... More over, some time ago it was trendy to make "natural growth" CJs and they were quite popular...

..i think the idea of a completely vanilla city journal (no mods, no NAM, no custom content, no cheats) goes against the orientation of this website...the only way someone could achieve anything with a vanilla CJ, would be to use it as a platform for explaining the deeper logarithms and core functions of the original game..a game that has many flaws and bugs, by the way.....quote>

I didn't know this site had this orientation and I've spent here a year and a half as an active user... City Journals began (we're going back to the year 2003) as a kind of "look what I've made" thing. There was no custom content because it didn't exist but the spirit of them hasn't changed. In my opinion, the spirit of all CJers, including me is still seven years after "look what I've made".

that's why i used the word 'orientation' ...because the site's foundation ..(which is different).. is based on the mutual appreciation of 'sim' games, yes that's true, but it is oriented towards the exchange and display of custom files.

and im also not sure why you would think that every object a person creates is automatically art. i think that art is an attitude, a lifestyle and a way of seeing the world. a true artist doesnt 'do' or 'make' art. a true artist is art..and by being so all his actions and designs have no choice but to be an expression of that art. so if you cannot let art infiltrate every aspect of your existence then you can only hope to get closer to the artist mind.

@tekindust ....well my quote, that has been used twice, is in fact referring to tyson4's SC4 unplugged.

natural growth is a valuable concept and CSGdesign's journal is brilliant because of it. but he has also uploaded his own custom content and does not totally restrict his journal by "unplugging" it.

@Z77 ...i would much rather have the materials/tools to chisel marble statues then have globs of mud and a cave wall...

lastly, i joined this site because i was so amazed by how altered the game could get..so i plugged in, and to unplug it? ..to swim up stream..

Two things need to be clarified.  One is that there is no "bashing" on this site.  The moderators will jump pretty hard on that.

The other is that a CJ is your artistic expression of what a city is or could be.  It becomes a matter of individual taste and technical ability.  The better you are, the more people will appreciate your efforts.  Do not be shy about doing anything that enhances your product.  As someone has already said, photographic qualify is important, so you should be prepared to manipulate your images as needed.  Photographic quality does not mean the images have to be realistic.  You can abstract as much as you like or even be impressionist.  There is no rule against photoshop or the gimp.  In fact, I don't think there are any rules except that the CJ must follow the site PG13 rule.

I use a very small, some would say, suite of very carefully selected plugins.  I don't do CJ's for reasons given elsewhere, but I do appreciate the effort and artistry of those who do.  I don't paint in oils either, but I really like some of the works on display in various galleries.  The problem with galleries is you have to have means to travel.  If you want to see some of the worlds best pictures by Titian, you have to go to the little museum off the civic square in Bordeaux.  An expensive trip from the middle of North America.  The same applies to the Mona Lisa (a highly over rated picture of Ginervra Benci), and so on.  Leonardo da Vinci's artistic works are not particularly to my taste, but I really like Titian.  This is an example of artistic preference by a non-artist.  Appreciation is what you get after you get the satisfaction of doing a good job.

From all the questions you have been asking about CJs, I get the impression that you are standing by the water but are being cautious of putting your toes in.  The main thing about a CJ is well-done, captioned pictures.  If you want to make them the basis for a pictorial story, feel free.  I think that if you want to run some samples by the board, you only need to post them with a request for critique.  Ignore the silly comments, but some you will take to heart.  Art is a risk to the ego.

I wish people would just rethink what they type in the first place ( I have erased this comment like over 3 times now) just to prove my case.

It would've been nice if he/she only asked if you want advice as I always ask before telling my answer or advice.

And I keep it positive as much as possible, I agree totally with (A Nonny Moose).

But it's a reality facing the whole internet as recent studies show people act mean on the internet then in real life, so in other words he/she gets the guts to say things they usually don't say, people are indeed mean on other sites, but this is one of my favorite site for a huge list of reasons.

As for your decision on your CJ, if your not completely sure try to chat or send a message to one of the other active CJ writers, I'm sure they can help you on this subject.

and im also not sure why you would think that every object a person creates is automatically art. i think that art is an attitude, a lifestyle and a way of seeing the world. a true artist doesnt 'do' or 'make' art. a true artist is art..and by being so all his actions and designs have no choice but to be an expression of that art. so if you cannot let art infiltrate every aspect of your existence then you can only hope to get closer to the artist mind.

quote>

To reply to you, Art is what you make it. Like A Nonny Moose said, just because an artist like Leonardo DaVinci is popular, you dont have to like his art. Same with Simcity. Its what you make it. I fully understand your point of view, Because its what you see a CJ should be. Its what art style you prefer, you could say. Personally, i like heavily Custom contented CJ's because they bring out the full potential of the community and the game graphically. But i understand the 'Natural Growth' Cj's, because they bring us back to what Simcity was created for. The basic gameplay. They also show us the potential that the game can bring us all around.

@Z77 ...i would much rather have the materials/tools to chisel marble statues then have globs of mud and a cave wall...

quote>

And i see the cave paintings around the world more interesting than the most expensive pieces of art in the museums around the world, Because of their simplicitiy and how interesting they came to be. But, like i said, art is art. Everyone has their prefrences on what they like and what they dislike. Its what makes art, and Simcity, what it is 1.gif

• Original Poster
  • I guess "bashing" was too strong of a word. But what I meant was that I occasionally see some people being slightly hostile towards Maxis content when they see it in a city, and people telling you to "download more from the STEX".

However, when I make a CJ (it'll be asian/futuristic), it will have more custom content than Maxis content. I was just saying there's nothing wrong with vanilla.

I might make the city when/if I get a better computer.

Short answer to your first question (the topic headline): No.

It all depends on what you think is the best for your cities. Personally, I use little to no Maxis content, but some people are in fact doing the opposite, so if you want to try that, just go ahead9.gif