Sign in to follow this  
zwr100

Trouble with farm roads

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm having trouble building farm roads the way I want them.  I have built some cities and filled every bit of Agricultural land, so I know the basics, but want to improve my design.

I want to fill every bit of avaialable farm land with farms.  The result is a big amorphus blob of farms.  I want the road around the outer edge to be a paved road, instead of a dirt road.

Is there a way to change the type of road it makes?

I know I can make roads before I zone, and I like that option except...  Is there a way to keep the farm resource areas highlighted while using the road construction tools?

Last but not least: am I creating an unneccessary problem for myself - will the paved roads allow too much traffic and destroy the farms?

If something I've asked is in a tuturial, I'm sorry.  I've doen them all, but my memory is terrible.  Could you specify which one?

You can simply remove the roads and place new roads, or click the road and upgrade it to a paved road (but can't make it wider that way)

Here's a trick I've been using.

Create 2 extra farm fields.

Destroy the two fields adjacent to the road you want to rebuild larger.

Remove alternating sections of the dirt road. IE: For a 3 segment road, delete the first and third.

Reconnect the road segments using larger roads.

Repeat with any remaining segments.

Rebuild farm in exact same configuration.

You can also still see the farm resource area highlighted when using the dirt roads. It dissapears if you use a paved road type. Open your roads first, select and deselect dirt road, open the overlay, then select the dirt road directly. The overlay should still be there.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the good suggestions.

I guess I was hoping I was missing something and you actually were able to build farms with paved roads, or curved ones for that matter.  Maybe in a future up[date 2.gif  In the meantime I'll be making curved dirt roads, then building the farm, and then upgrading certain roads ><