This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trains, and GLR, Subways

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Ok, so since I got the NAM I cannot stand the GLR.  It always crashes my system if I accidentally place a GLR piece on another. (sometimes you just click wrong [shrugs])

Anyhow, I know the GLR is the same as the EL, just on the ground.

Is there any difference in commute times by all three?

What are the speeds/commute times for:

GLR will crash when it's placed next to another transit-enabled piece (ie, stations). this is a game limitation, and nothing can be done about it. so if using GLR, practice practice and practice, and save often. also, lay the rail first, then lay stations.

• Original Poster
  • Oh, well thanks for that.  I didn't read that in the "readme".

The only reason why I like the GLR is I can make 90degree turns. the EL 'kinda' lets me do that, but the Heavy Rail won't let me do that.

I think GLR and EL have the same cost and traffic statistics. We have GLR in Dallas Texas and I've used subway/GLR/commuter rail in Boston Massachusetts. Dallas also has one station of "fake subway" where the GLR goes deep underground at CityPlace, while most of the Boston's suburban subway is really GLR.

In the real world, downtown GLR is really more the exception than the rule. My experience is also that EL is more dense urban than rural, maybe Chicago being the notable exception. But I see a lot of effort to make suburban EL feed into urban subway (available in Rush Hour) or GLR (NAM). The Simulator may go for it, but it's not realistic. You only put in GLR in urban areas when it became an afterthought in civic planning and it's too expensive or time consuming to dig subways (Los Angeles, Dallas).

What does make a lot of sense is either

1) Suburban GLR in a spoke system converging to a downtown subway hub network

2) Suburban GLR going underground in the city center, using a GLR<->Subway transition

3) Suburban GLR connecting to a city center EL system, I guess for aesthetic reasons (poor man's monorail).

GLR being such a hassle, I just pretend regular rail with passenger stations only is legitimate commuter rail and use it exclusively. AMTRAK Metroliner and Fort Worth's TRE commuter rail use standard gauge track, so there is the justification. If you think you're going to get congestion on that solution then allow yourself a right-of-way for future monorail.

When considering GLR/EL/Monorail remember that none of them have parking.  You either need a bus network to get to them or parking garages.