Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bLUEbYTE

Inter-city Commute - Possible?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Hello,
    I am just beginning to populate a new region, and I want the cities to be more or less seperated as residence cities, industrial- dump(dirty) cities, commercial cities etc...
    So I am assuming that, a "job" city (commercial or industrial) should be adjacent to at least one residential city, i.e no more than 1 cities are travelled for cummuting.
    Maybe even this is too optimistic, I am not sure, so I want to know that such a thing is possible...
    Please note that I am playing vanilla SC4 Deluxe Edition (no 3rd party mods). And I want it to stay that way.

Here is the picture of my region to give you an idea. All city blocks are large blocks.
    screenshot3po.jpg

So, here I want to make the labeled block an Industrial city, and a residential city to the block to the south of it, for instance.

With proper Avenue/road/rail networks, will it be possible?
    Also note that, the north block is very steep, so I can not build any other type of transportation network there(other than ave, road, rail). 
    Thanks in advance.

It is possible. For best results, build an all-residential city adjacent to the Industrial and Commercial City.

Welcome to the community. PM me if you need help.

Edit: I found this article on the subject. I thought you might be interested.

Article

• Original Poster
  • Yay, that will be neat then. Can't wait to begin 4.gif

Thanks for your kind reply and warm welcome, Constantina. 

Edit: Kudos to Mrfood11 for this cool region.

• Original Poster
  • Hello,

I am having a problem. They don't commute. I made the connection with monorail. Maybe I also need a road connection since the cities are primitive at the moment?

Here are the pictures, ordered by location, north to south. First three pics are from the industrial city, and the last one from residential.

industrial19feb0011493407088as.jpg

industrial19feb0011493407497jm.jpg

industrial19feb0011493406494jj.jpg

konuthent119nov0011493405733rp.jpg

Speaking of intercity commuting: I've built a few large cities in an area of a region, and people actually commuted via ferry to another city, and via light rail to another.

you do in fact need a road connection - or else development won't happen

in finer detail, areas will develop if sims can get TO work, not FROM work. You could build a one-way road (can't neighbour connect i think) to work but not one back. This will force sims to use MT

also you need bus stops furthed together - about every 10 tiles or so

btw - nice use of zoned industrial - it makes industrial areas so much neater