• STomnibus
    STomnibus

Mega income from toll booths

Article originally found in sc4ever.com

Toll booths are quite possibly the most unbalanced thing in SC4K. For a modest fee, you can get 20 cents per month for every car or bus passenger that travels through the toll. This can be abused to make massive amounts of money. I've had a city that made $10 000 profit per month on tolls alone.

Toll booths are pretty simple. Your Sims usually travel from residential to industrial, or residential to commercial. If their route goes through a toll booth, they give you $.10/month. Toll booths add a few minutes to their trip, and give you money in the process.

Build a ground highway to connect your residential and industrial zones. Make sure it's the only road connecting them. Place avenues at the ends of the highways, and connect them. Now, put toll booths all along the ground highway. Do the same thing between residential and commercial zones.

Now wait a few months, and check your income. You should be making huge amounts of income from the tolls! As long as the sims have to take that highway to work, they'll pay a huge amount in tolls. A well set up network will give you more money from tolls, than you will get from residential taxes. (Sick, no?)

Even Sims that take the bus have to pay the toll. But, busses don't make congestion like cars do, so they can drive around the toll more easily than cars. Make sure they can't, so you can get income from bus fares, and the toll.

If the highway gets cramped, build another one, set up the tolls, and connect it to the same avenue. Build bus stations to reduce congestion, and make more money at the same time.

Why ground highways? Ground highways are cheap. Highway toll booths handle the most amount of sims. Sims drive the fastest on highways, so more sims will be able to get to work. A good highway can have 8 tolls, giving you $1.60/month for every car or bus passenger that needs to travel on that highway. Sims pay 10 cents on the way to work, and 10 cents on the way back.

Toll booths cost $5 a month to maintain. So, as long as you get 50 cars going through, you'll break even.

One last word of caution: Toll booths add up to your commute time quickly. If your sims have a commute time more than 100 minutes, they'll start to lose their jobs, and leave your town. You'll still get bucketloads of cash, but a few buildings will rot. It's nothing to worry about on a small or medium map, but be careful in region play.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

You can't believe, but I did this too, but on every road that didn't had building face on it I put tolls. Thanks for the tips.:thumb:

Share this comment

Alguém sabe me dizer como fazer estradas de terra? Tem no jogo ou via mod? E no meu jogo ainda não descobri que os Sims pagam tarifa de ônibus, aonde consta isso? Obrigado.

Can anyone tell me how to make dirt roads? Has the game or via mod? And in my game have not figured that Sims pay bus fare, where it appears? Thank you.

Share this comment

There is an extra-evil trick which I invented a long time ago which I nicknamed the 'coin wringer', it exploits the fact that Sim's only care about their commute time to work, they don't care about their commute time from work. See where I'm going with this?

So make a one way road or roads to the work sectors. The only way back should be via a gauntlet of toll booths, you can't build toll booths on one way roads, but you don't need to because sims can't travel back along the one way road they came on. The Sims have no choice, having gone to work, they have to come home, no matter how much it costs them. This exploit allows you to generate arbitrary incomes. (Note: They might eventually decide to walk back along the one way road rather than pass through the 50 toll booths—apparently abandoning their car—there are cunning ways to make one-way filters such as bus on a one way road, then onto rail which doesn't permit walking and absolutely forces them to go through toll booths on the way home).

Note that you can also toll pedestrians. This may be a little surprising, but the toll booth does not discriminate, every sim passing through it gets tolled, even those on foot.

Share this comment