Mankato is no Manhattan, yet it has a small collection of noted skyscrapers. The city is known for its relative density, compared to its population, and this is in large part to its downtown, whose "main street" style three- to five-story buildings still house apartments and businesses, and are relatively free of abandonement.
The Edgerson State Building and Judicial Center, named after Thomas Edgerson, mayor of Mankato from 1892-1898, houses the city's courthouse, city council, and numerous other government offices. (The historic city hall, which will be featured soon, houses a small amount of the offices of the Mayor, but is also largely a museum. The majority of work is done in "the Edge," as it is sometimes referred to.) It also houses the main headquarters for the Mankato Public School System, as well as KMAN, Mankato's public radio station, which explains the large antennae. It was built in 1929, finished weeks before the stock market crash, and became the tallest building in Mankato, and remained that way until 1962, when the Thompson Tower, now the ITM Tower, replaced it.
The 20-story ITM Tower, built in 1962, became the tallest building in Mankato at 255 feet upon its completion. It was one of the first buildings in the Midwest to reflect the International Style, and became a model of functionalism. It originally housed offices, its largest tenant being the Bank of Southern Minnesota, now defunct. In 1983, it was bought by the ITM Company, and made its world headquarters. The ITM Company is a company that specializes in "business solutions." Nobody knows what ITM stands for. In its rear plaza, the New Memorial Column was built in 2001 as a memorial for the Native Americans that originally inhabited the area Mankato now stands on.
On the left is the 24-story Bell Insurance Tower. Built just four years after the ITM Tower, in 1966, it became the tallest building in Mankato at 295 feet. It currently houses the Bell Insurance company. The Guise Building, built in 1986, is 230 feet tall and has 17 stories. It was named after Ethel Guise, the daughter of late-19th century millionare Leonard Guise, upon her death in 1981.