Victoria County

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Thorshafen - Where it all began

Sign in to follow this  
heitomat

Thorshafen_Head.jpg

Thorshafen is situated on the northwestern tip of the Kreutzberg Peninsula. Archeologists have found traces of Viking settlements in Thorshafen that dates back to around 900 AD, which makes the city the oldest in the county. Historians believe that the name of the city comes from the Norse "Thórshafn", which essentially means Thor's harbour. According to Norse mythology, Thor was the god for protection of mankind. It is believed that Thorshafen's role as an important pit stop for the Vikings on their journeys between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe, influenced the Vikings to rename their settlement after this god. Also, the shape of the land on which Thorhafen is situated, resembles a hammer. This could have been inspirational for the Vikings as well.

During the second world war, Thorshafen once again became an important harbour city. During the occupation of Axis forces, the city's calm bays proved to be an important place to seek refuge before patrolling the North Sea and the English Channel. Due to this, the city suffered from heavy bombing by Allied air forces, leaving the city more or less in ruins. One of the oldest buildings still standing is Thorshafen Fire Station, seen in both the header and in the picture below.

Thorshafen_01.jpg

The City Hall is only a few years younger than the fire station. Being built close to the harbour, it was nearly destroyed by Allied bombs. Today, in addition to housing the City Council, it also serves as a museum of the city's history, with exhibitions of archeological findings, Viking household items and more.

Thorshafen_03.jpg

Almost every European city, even most villages, have a church. This is Thorshafen Dome, completed in 1860. Traces of a church at this location traces back to 1100 AD, and religious ceremonies have taken place at this location ever since the Viking age.

Thorshafen_04.jpg

After the war, the rebuilding of the city and the lack of architectural planning, has resulted in a wide diversity of styles throughout the city. Probably the most eye catching buildings are the Harbour Hills Housing Project, initiated by the City Council in the sixties. Advertised to potential buyers with the slogan "You'll never find a view like this!", referring to the outstanding view of the harbour, the critics used the slogan sarcastically about the appearance of the buildings.

Thorshafen_02.jpg

Most of the industrial harbour has now been moved out of the city center. Still, Thorshafen is an important city for distribution of goods.

Thorshafen_05.jpg

A lot has changed since the Vikings ruled the shores of Thorshafen. Nowadays, most people don't come to Thorshafen with boats, but by train or car. Thorshafen is the end of the motorway B-11, and the rail station is the terminus of the West Kreutzberg Line. If you want to stay on the train for the whole Kreutzberg tour, you can also follow the Kreutzberg Ring to the east and back to Victoria.

Thorshafen_07.jpg

Typical for the West Kreutzberg Line is long hauls with lots of commuters heading south for Kempler and Victoria. Originally the trains were fitted with double decked carriages to serve more passengers without making the train too long for the shorter and older platforms. Over the years, the number of commuters have increased insanely, leaving no other options other than adding more and more carriages. This is the late morning commuter train making it's way south through the Thorshafen suburbs.

Thorshafen_06.jpg

I'll leave you with a night shot. Hopefully you've seen enough to visit Thorshafen once again in the future?

Thorshafen_Mosaic_01.jpgThorshafen_Mosaic_02.jpg

All the best,

- Eivind

Sign in to follow this  

9 Comments

Recommended Comments

You've done it again; made an update with plenty of information and eye-pleasing pictures. Good use of Nordic mythology.

Share this comment

Nice and well-planned as usual! I would have liked to see a closer shot of the garbage zone in your seaport, but anyways, you've carried another fantastic update!

Share this comment

• TheMentalist: Thank you. I promise you a lot more of both harbours and railroads as Victoria County develops. 
  • Frdm920: Yes, I was actually kind of disappointed by seeing it, as I think it is way too long.. But it looks cool, though. Anyway, thanks for your comment. 
  • Benedict: Thank you very much, my friend. Your comments are always appreciated.
  • ImVhOzzi: Thank you very much for the kind words. I always make stories in my head regarding the background and history of the cities I build, so why not share them? The Vikings left traces many places in Europe (not always in a positive way, though), and I thought it would be fun to add some Norse history in Victoria County as well.
  • TekindusT: Thank you, my friend. I promise you a closer look at the garbage docks in the next update.
  • maniv: The flats in the picture are the Winchester Flats from marcszar's Hallfield Estate set. Thank you for stopping by. 
  • Schulmanator: Thank you for your comment, my friend. And I agree. I like the first picture the most. Night shots with well lit BATs are always nice.

Share this comment