Introduction | Part 1: Docklands (Update 1), (Update 2), (Update 3), (Update 4), (Update 5) | Flood!, Flooding Continues
Docklands is a modern office area in the eastern part of Canterbury. The docks were formerly part of the Port of Canterbury, at one time the world's largest port. They have now been redeveloped principally for commercial and residential use.
In the Middle Ages, ships tended to dock at small quays in the present-day Isle of Cats. When British Empire increased its trade with overseas territories, the quays become insufficient for large number of vessels. In 1802, the first new dock was opened, followed by other projects completed in the 1805-1830 period. In addition, several warehouses and working-class homes were build in the area.
During World War II Docklands were converted into naval port and supply warehouse with humanitarian aid and arms support for Allies. In 1962, construction of the Newport was started, finished in 1968. Old docks as no longer needed were finally closed and abandoned in 1981.
In 1994, new era for Docklands has started. First line of Docklands Light Railway was opened and City of Canterbury announced new redevelopment project for the area. Today, thousands of Canterburians work in this area, but in a middle of the day, when everyone are at work, Docklands look deserted.
Any feedback is more than welcomed. Leave a comment. More coming soon!