Tarkusian Cities

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Traffic Data And Highway 104 Preview

Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Just back for a quick update, the first in quite some time. RL and getting things done on the MIS setup have occupied my time as of late, but I've got some interesting things to show here.

This pictures aren't terribly exciting, but they show how work is now progressing on Highway 104 (formerly Highway 4) near downtown. As you can see, there's a lot of earth getting upturned here. Some of this land will be redeveloped, and some of it will go toward improving 104, which will certainly need it as the main connector to downtown. Still some rough slopes in here, which will be fixed as part of the improvement project.

u151dr2.jpg

u152rm2.jpg

I also wanted to answer some of the interesting questions Joan (Jmouse) asked regarding the transportation systems and their development. It's far from being a "dumb question", and actually a very good one. Throughout this MD, there's been a lot of focus on two cities, Wakeman and Argentum. The ways in which I'm dealing with these two cities is quite different, and I would like to at least start describing how I plan everything out.

There are two main goals I have for all of my transportation systems--1) in-game functionality and 2) realism. The situation with the systems in Argentum is rather interesting, as I will illustrate by showing my Traffic DataView for the city tile in which downtown Argentum is located.

This is the overall Road Traffic load on the city's networks.

u153fj8.jpg

As you'll notice, most of the city's roads are green and properly functioning. There are a couple of yellow and red spots, however. Those are local residential streets, which I have mostly mitigated through various means--these include personal modifications to the Traffic Simulator, re-design and also the installation of the CAM. Eventually, I will probably be switching over to the Traffic Simulator that mott has worked out for the NWM [link]. If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out his thread, as he has some very interesting and insightful things to say about the game's pathfinding engine and transit networks in general, and has offered his Alpha versions up for download.

So more or less, the network layout appears to be uncongested. Here's the overall Road Traffic volumes for the city tile.

u154vc5.jpg

Traffic volumes are more or less evenly spread out across the city, though there is one notably dark blue path down in the southeast corner of the city. Interestingly, though, if you were to look at the roads that were getting the most use, the vast majority of them would be Avenues. The highway system, in this pic, is barely being used. Of course, part of the highway system has been disconnected from the surface street network as a result of massive construction. However, one of the main things I am aiming to do with the re-design of the regional highway infrastructure is to make sure it gets used. As you will soon see in coming updates, the addition of the RHW Modular Interchange System (MIS) will assist a great deal in making sure Argentum has an effective highway system.

There is also a severe lack of realism on the current highways in the region, particularly with the placement of exits/interchanges, lack of directness, and the overall highway density. The region was mostly built before I really knew much about scale--it's kind of become a guinea pig for "retrofitting" an older, existing city and increasing its realism.

Here's another couple of Traffic Volume counts I thought I'd show you all for the heck of it.

This here is the Pedestrian Data:

u155ia1.jpg

And one that will probably shock you. The Bus Data:

u156pq8.jpg

Looks a bit empty, doesn't it? wink.gif That's because it is. That's right, there are no buses running in Argentum. Actually, no mass transit of any kind. I'll elaborate on my reasoning behind this in later updates.

The situation with Wakeman's traffic planning is an entirely different animal, and will also be explained later. It's been a very carefully controlled system.

Sign in to follow this  

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.