Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Transit improvements in Taraville

Sign in to follow this  
Retep Molinari

I haven't done many true urban projects lately. What's up with that?

Not tons of custom content in this update: just playing with trains.

Sami%20playing%20with%20trains%2012-24-2

Since the initial tram system was laid in 1907, Taraville has grown into a major city. Since 2000, it has been the capital of the newly united Syldav Union. (Did you miss that saga? You can catch up here.)

The corridor shown below has been a source of problems for years. The trams are greatly slowed from climbing the hill and the three curves(two of 90 degrees). Furthermore, the stop located at the top of the hill was used by less than 100 passages a day. Since becoming the capital of the Syldav Union, the large avenue to the left led to a bridge to the government complex. Something had to change.

tarravilesep42451262146.png

Planners came up with a bold--and expensive--proposal: tunnel past the hill! portals would be built in the middle of the roads, with a subway connecting the two surface rail sections. The subway would run from the bottom left of the above picture to the upper right.

Planners estimated that the project would save 10 minutes from the trip. With just 5 minutes of headway between trams, this equaled the savings of pulling two trains out of service which could then be used elsewhere.

First, the south portal was built into the hillside.

tarravilesep19245126214.png

Here you can better see the two curves the trams had to navigate. The portal would be placed over the short section of avenue on the right. The avenue in turn would be changed into a two-lane street with better pedestrian access. Finally, the large parking lot to the right would be demolished.

tarravilesep15245126214.png

The northern portal and surrounding areas, after construction.

tarravilefeb15246126214.png

A closer view of the developments.

tarravileoct16245126214.png

Of course, the roads over the hill had to be rebuilt as well.

tarravilenov42451262146.png

And finally, the finished product!

tarravileoct24269126215.png

Until next time!

Sign in to follow this  

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

Great use of the Tram -> Subway transitions! And the finished product looks great! Although you may want to add a subway stop, to compensate for the lost tram stop at the top of the hill. Keep up the good work!

Share this comment

The I-Flats are the redeveloped Balboa City Industrial area, as I remember NOT contributing to it. It's ok, you've made it epic.

Share this comment

CTMandR: I'm glad you like how I used the tram-to-subway transitions! The reasons I didn't wanna put a tram stop at the top of the hill are:
  1. From the intersection at the top of the hill (where the station would be) its an unnatural turn right to the north portal
  2. The stations are prettly close together
  3. I wanted to maximize the speed of the subway
  4. Not that many people were using the tram stop.
That said, I was going back and forth on that all day at work before I finished in the afternoon (I know, how nerdy!).

ROFLyoshi: You're almost there! I may need to make a new post with the unanswered questions!

Schulmanator: Choo choo!!!! Yeah. Sometimes, in my mind, cities exist for trains and trams!

Share this comment

Definitely some nice work on the trams. I like the use of the RTMT transitions. Question for you Retep...is rail the preferred choice of MT for the working man of Minden?

Share this comment

Wow! Someone read the single post from Minden (to the east or Taraville, which this post is about).

Acutally, the rail serives from Minden to Taraville--where most of them work--isn't that good. I have some light rail explansions planned, but they are way down the road!

As far as Taraville, 60% of trips are made by mass transit; a little less than half of this is by rail. By most standards, that's a very high rate!

Share this comment