Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Preview XIII: The Times They Are A'Changin...

Sign in to follow this  
deathtopumpkins

I've been playing around the past few days in Harbormouth, which is a town located on a barrier island directly to the north of Hawthorne Creek.

Most of the town needs more detailing before it can be shown off (lots of marshy coastline...), but here's a random shot of a rural intersection on VS Route 1 Business:

harbormouthdec220912619.png

This intersection was a rather busy one, even after the opening of the parallel VS-1 Freeway (visible in the lower left), still seeing over 1500 cars per hour. As development continued at an extremely rapid pace in the surrounding area, these roads became a traffic nightmare, and the VSDOT decided something had to be done with the opening of the North Island Technology Park (surrounding VS-1 and spreading along the coast), which brought hundreds more commuters.

In conjunction with the proposed traffic solutions, the Hawthorne Creek Regional Planning Office proposed a comprehensive redevelopment of the surrounding area to make it more desirable and give it a more "urban" feel. The final plan included new Elementary and High Schools, a fire station, and some medium-density commercial and residential, centered around a new avenue that interchanges directly with the VS-1 freeway.

harbormouthoct211712620.png

Quite the little suburbia now, isn't it?

Sign in to follow this  

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

Because it looked cool as a fire station, it fit in the space, and, well, because I put it there!

But it's really more to keep the nuclear power plant just off-screen from catching fire. ;) And that is the subject of a future update...

Share this comment

Why only use things for what they are supposed to do? Well actually it is doing partly what it was supposed to do, being a fire station and all but you all know what i mean right?

Share this comment

When you think about it, it kinda makes sense to have an airport fire station in rural areas, because the roads aren't as good and usually you will be covering a larger area with several villages, so it provides quicker response times and means you don't need to fund loads of fire stations for each village

Share this comment

Connor, some really out- standing farming and agricultural development here..
i wish very much that I could put together such fine looking rural areas as you have
shown a skillful knowledge of creating...

thanks always for your continued city building excellence's

brian

Share this comment