• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

A grand tour

Sign in to follow this  
needgames

Widening_Titel_3.jpg

When reaching 2,000 inhabitants Widening had become attractive enough to be able to build luxury hotels. You can see one in the first picture of this update. It’s the large tower alongside the avenue. It’s located in the middle of the business district, which stretches out along the whole length of the avenue. On the other side of the avenue are the low budget hotels.

Originally six of these towers were planned, but after one was constructed it became clear that the market had become satisfied, so offices were built here instead of hotels. The luxury hotel is the best tax payer in Widening, in terms of quantity. The hotels as a sector, however, come in third place in the ranking of most profitable businesses, after the offices and the industry, respectively in first and second place. The shops pay very little tax.

Widening_18.jpg

At the moment Widening has 5,209 inhabitants, of which 57% are unqualified workers, so the balance is rapidly shifting in favor of the qualified workers, which is a good thing, since even though there are less of them, they pay more taxes. The next picture shows some of my favorite unqualified worker’s homes.

Widening_19.jpg

Overall satisfaction of the unqualified workers has dropped again, by 3% this time. Widening is still not in danger, but the trend should change at some point. Although the unqualified workers are very pleased with their jobs and the services the city provides, their appreciation of the environment has greatly diminished, by 18%. The heavy industry they have to live close to is really becoming a nuisance. For some unqualified workers the satisfaction with the environment now shows in the red, in those locations where air pollution is really heavy. Let’s hope the manufacturing industry, that has recently discovered Widening as a good place for their operations, will emit a bit less bad smelling smoke. This picture shows one of the nicest looking bad guys, an old fashioned factory.

Widening_20.jpg

Let’s move to the better parts of the city, the qualified workers area. The next picture shows some of their nicer homes late in the afternoon. The overall satisfaction of the qualified workers has developed a bit better: it dropped by just 1%. Their appreciation of the environment has even risen by 3%. I have no idea why that is. Their appreciation of the shops in Widening has however dropped from 100% to 89%. I don’t think there’s much to be done about that at the moment, since there is no more demand for that business type, and all qualified workers have shops very close to their homes.

Widening_21.jpg

The next picture shows some really nice offices. In front of it you can see a billboard. These can be seen all over the city. I guess Monte Cristo gets paid for those.

In the near future the emphasis will be on establishing offices in Widening, since by now there is so much heavy industry that one token is produced. That is not a bad thing in itself, but for the moment I intend to let the city have a balanced development, so this one token will eventually be consumed by the city itself. There is not really a point in producing tokens of heavy industry at the moment, since in solo mode it can only be traded with OmniCorp, an unscrupulous company that pays almost nothing for tokens.

Widening_22.jpg

Now that Widening has more than 5,000 inhabitants two new services have become available: the elementary school and the Ferris wheel, both to be seen in the next picture. Those kids must have really good lunch breaks. Before placing these services the city made almost 10,000 per turn, but that has been reduced to 2,561. Nevertheless the treasury has accumulated 1,407,270. I guess a turn is really short when you place buildings one by one.

Widening_23.jpg

This update ends with a picture of some shops. The last piece of information for now is that the water shortage has magically disappeared. This confirms that it is a bug, since no water is being produced by something else than the utilities building, and a city that grows cannot reduce its water consumption.

Widening_24.jpg

The next update will be when Widening reaches a population of 10,000.

Sign in to follow this  

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

Thanks, Ny. I like to go into all the details of a city, makes it come alive. It's also a great way to learn how to play a game. Writing about it gives me extra focus.

Yes, of course, Stef. You'll find it in the next update. I'll try to fit some in occasionally as the city grows.

Share this comment