• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Tutorial: Nardo's way of a temperate deciduous forest

Sign in to follow this  
Nardo69

Quite some has passed since my last update. I had been busy with the village competition over at simforum.de but now I am back with a small tutorial. There will be another final update of Rammelsbach before we move on.

BTW: I built the village for the compettion exclusively for the competion. After the competition will have been finished this weekend I am eventually going to show the village here, too! 2.gif

But now for the tutorial: 

Nardo's way of a temperate deciduous forest

My home is Germany, or more exactly South Germany with a lot of dense temperate deciduous forests. I like the different tree mods but they have one thing in common: compared to the woods I love they aren't by far dense enough.

I tried then with SimFox's great tree models but if I placed them in the desired density structures get lost in an indefinable greyish green. Soi I developed my very own way to create the variety of green in the desired density:

FT01: The area for the forest

That's the area I want to plant trees. The forrest roads are already laid out include a watchtower from kwakelaar's great city wall set as some nice eyecandy.

FT02: base tree 1

The basic skeletton of my woods mainly consists of two of SimFox's trees - the first is the "Big Round Tree" which is also VERY suitable for any kind of solitaire trees on fields etc.!

FT03: The forest skeleton

I plant them not too dense. Pls don't make my mistake and rotate the map frequently while planting or any kind of trees will look a bit ... uniform at the end!

FT04: Base Tree Nr. 2

The second "Skeleton" tree model is SimFox's Large Plane Tree, one of the most versatile tree model available at the moment. Unlike the Big Round Tree clicking frequently on the same place change the tree modell giving a greater variety,

FT05: Base tree skeleton 2

The sekeleton is finished. Don't place these trees to dense or you might have problems to insert other tree models!

FT06: After Adding Filler Trees

Here I added quite some CP trees, namely larches and broad leef trees. Deciduous forrest have a large variety of green (which I do like) especially end of May and in Junde so don't be afraid to mix different modells!

Note however that the larch trees are mainly located at the border of the forest which will lead uis directly to the next step(s)!

FT07: Trees for the borders

Forrests in my homelands mainly consists of two areas: the inner forest and the borders. While the inner forest is mainly dominated by not too much different trees as the big trees consume most of the sunlight the borders have a incrdeible number of different trees - larches, cherry trees, walnut and chestnut trees just to name some. In addition to them you find also a lot of bushes and scrubs in the lower area forming something as a wall between free fields and the wood.

This wall has an important function as trees do get sunburn. The trunks of the trees inside the forest don't stand sun (except for winter sun) and exposing them to sunlight will lead to the death of the tree.

In Simcity the forest border is IMHO the most important area of the forest as it is the area which is mostly not covered by other trees!  2.gif

In this example I will plant a lot of Simfox's chestnut trees at the borders.

FT08: Bushes

Another really important tree model from SimFox is the Small Mapple Tree as it is the best model IMHOP for larger bushes and scrubs available - for fences as well as filers on the forrest border!

FT09: Increasing Density

Not a European tree yet I like to plant some of the Eucalyptus trees in the forest due to its visibal big branches to finish the forest of.

FT10: The Result

And that's the result after it's done. Before I developed that method I prefered tree lots now I prefer Mayor Model Trees.

What do you think?

Have fun!

Bernhard 44.gif

Sign in to follow this  

1 Comment

Recommended Comments