• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Engineering problem on I-39 bridge construction

goose0183

George Finley here, lead engineer for the EBDC Operations Subcommittee. I'm also in charge of the design and construction of the ICP1. Nearly 7 year into this project, we have never had such a problems building a simple bridge! Granted, it is a diagnonal ground interstate bridge, but we have had no problems with other networks building these types of bridges. The location of the problem is the proposed I-39 Sunshine Bridge, which will cross the Emerald River and passing through the future heart of St. Matthews. Mechanical and Structural Engineering Departments from Louisiana State University and the University of Washington have been contacted to offer possible solutions. Users on Simtropolis reading this journal are also encouraged to offer solutions. The problem is simple......when using Diagonal_Bridge_Enabler.dat, we try to drag a elevated highway diagonal bridge across the "empty chasm", but the network line stays red, saying Failed to Smooth Terrain. If you have any possible solutions, please offer them. Otherwise a straight bridge will have to be built at much greater cost and awkward positioning.

blogentry-660751-0-13894200-1393550004_t

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

There should be diagonal bridge pieces in the Highways menu that allow you to build a diagonal bridge. Otherwise it will take some terrain modifying trickery, which isn't difficult but is non-obvious.

Since I don't use the DBE for MHW/Project Symphony, I don't know if such a piece exists.\

You can modify the terrain so that the water level is just below the bottom of the river. More info can be found on SC4Devotion, but I don't have the post at hand. A well-picked search should do the trick, however.

Share this comment

Thanks for the input! We have decided to forgo a diagonal interstate as it is just too cumbersome....other network types work fine with diagonal bridges, so we will utilize those in cases where deemed necessary, such as the rail network. Keep it coming!

Share this comment