• Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

Facts, History, and Information

Dallas, Texas

DallasNightPano.jpg

photo by Matt Clarkson

Geography:

Area: 385.0 sq mi (99.7 km2) Dallas city limits include several large man made lakes used for water for the rest of the metro area

Topography: Located on the great plains, Dallas is mostly flat with scattered hills and shallow valleys created by streams; the Trinity River runs through the middle of Dallas

Climate: Humid subtropical. Mild winters, occasionally strong cold fronts move in bringing snow and ice. Hot, dry summers. Spring and Autumn are both pleasant and warm, but stormy.

Demographics:

Population (2010 census): 1,197,816 (9th in the US) Metro Population: 6,477,315 (4th in the US)

Density: 3,697.44 sq mi (1,427.38/km2)

Diversity: 56.6% White, 23.2% African American, 2.5% Asian, 16.4% other race, and 1.3% from two or more races. Latinos make up 43.1% of the total population.

Religion: Located in the "Bible Belt" there is a large Protestant, Baptist, Presbyterian, and Catholic influence. Islam, Buddhism, and Judaism is also have sizable communities.

Economy:

Metro GMP (Gross Metropolitan Product):$379,863 million

Major Industries: Cotton, Telecommunications, Retail, Banking, Oil, and Natural Gas

Fortune 500 Company Headquarters: 12; Metro: 24

Transportation:

Major US Interstates: Interstates 20, 30E, 45, 635, 820

Major Airports: Dallas Love Field, Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport

Mass Transit: DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) Light Rail and Bus service

History:

Throughout the 16th to the mid-18th century, Caddo Native Americans inhabited the Dallas area. In 1841, John Neely Byran built a log cabin near the Trinity River and surveyed the area. After the survey, in 1844, J.P. Dumas laid out .5 square miles of blocks and streets near present day downtown Dallas. Dallas was incorporated in 1856. Right before the Civil War, Dallas county voted in favor of secession. The war did little damage to Dallas; however, the Reconstruction Period brought myriad hardships and challenges to Dallas. Slaves were emancipated in June of 1865. In 1871, Dallas officially became a city.The major north-south (Houston and Texas Central Railroad) and east-west (Texas and Pacific Railway) railroads crossed in Dallas in 1873. These railroads quickly made Dallas a center for grain and cotton in the South. In 1880,the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad was built in Dallas and caused the city to become the cotton capital of the world. In 1904, the Trinity River flooded and reached a depth of 52.6 ft. with a width of 1.5 miles. Although only five people died, over 4,000 were left homeless, and there was an estimated $2.5 million in property damages. This devastating flood caused the city to think of ways to try to tame the Trinity. In 1911, largely due to Dallas being the cotton capital of the world, the Federal Reserve Bank opened its eleventh regional branch in Dallas. During World War I, aviation became a concern for Dallas, and so Love Field was purchased in 1927 and became Dallas' municipal airport. During the Great Depression years, Dallas fared relatively well. In 1930, oil was struck 100 miles east of the city in Kilgore, causing an oil boom. This new discovery of oil caused Dallas to quickly become the financial center for the oil industry in both Texas and Oklahoma.In 1936, the state of Texas chose Dallas to host the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition. The Exposition lead to the creation of Fair Park, an art-deco filled complex that serves today as the fairgrounds for the Texas State Fair, the largest in the country. Fair Park additionally houses numerous museums today. In 1958, a version of the integrated circuit was created in Texas Instruments. this creation lead to Dallas promoting high-tech development and the creation of the term "Silicone Prairie" due to the large amount of high-tech manufacturing companies based in the Dallas area. On November 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on Elm Street in Dealey Plaza. Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy from the nearby Texas School Book Depository. Today, that building has been converted into a historical museum dealing with both JFK's life and assassination. Although the assassination dubbed Dallas as a "Hate City", the 1970s and the 1980s turned Dallas into a real estate hot bed. Dozens of skyscrapers were built. In 1983, DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) was created and began light rail and bus operations. After the 1980s, Dallas experienced a lag in growth largely due to the Savings and Loan Crisis. However, in the late 1990s, the telecom industry boomed in Dallas. This, along with another boom in the high tech industry, created a building boom for Dallas today. Currently, the recession and hard economic times have not been heavily felt in Dallas. Unlike most other major US cities today, Dallas is still a real estate hot bed and is experiencing a construction boom in downtown and the surrounding areas.

In the next update, I'll show how far I am in recreating Dallas in Simcity 4.

Sign in to follow this  

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

Yes, I'm so ready for this! Bring it on! I've dreamed about recreating Dallas and just never could get anywhere with it, so I'm ready to see what you have.

Share this comment

Awesome, I LOVE DALLAS! Almost every city I make some how incorperates parts of Dallas in it. I can't wait to see what you have coming!

Share this comment