Hangzhou

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The Beginning

Sign in to follow this  
zakuten

Hangzhou huanying nin! -- Welcome to Hangzhou!

Hangzhou is a city in Zhejiang province, China, actually the provincial capital. With a population at six million and growing, it's one of the rising stars among Chinese cities in the eyes of the world. However, Chinese have long renowned Hangzhou for it's beauty. In fact, this ancient city was the object of ebullient praise by Marco Polo himself, as it was the capital of the Southern Song dynasty at the time. Hangzhou's most famous landmark is West Lake. Built by man, the lake is considered one of the most beautiful places in all of China.

My CJ, though, will be a bit different. Using NHP's Hangzhou map (link below), I'm going to build the city, from scratch. Please feel welcome to watch me develop this city from a tiny village to the metropolis it is today in reality!

Map by NHP at the link below:

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25276

Overview, with editing to add West Lake. (Note, West Lake not authentic to real form)

hzover.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for the beginning! The city of Hangzhou begins as a small tea-farming town at the shores of West Lake. Known as Longjing tea, due to a neighboring village, the tea here is some of the best in the world to use for green tea. Currently, Hangzhou only has 182 people, with long commutes from their houses in the valley to the farms in the nearby mountains, in the tea forest areas.

(For future reference, this maptile is named Gucheng-qu, or Old City District)

The Village: 

Still without paved roads, this is the beginning of the great city. As you can see, it's rapidly, and a bit chaotically, developing, as economic reforms make the Longjing tea a valuable export.

guchengquoct70212965932.png

The Tea Farms: 

Situated in the hills, these farms hold green gold. The small bushes between the trees are Longjing (Dragonwell) tea bushes. Many small farms have sprung up here to harvest the tea.

Chaqiu (Tea Hill) farms:

guchengquoct25021296593.png

West Valley farms:

guchengquoct19021296593.png

(I'd also like to add that if you know some better ways to simulate tea bushes through agricultural lots, I would be eternally grateful.)

Sign in to follow this  

4 Comments

Recommended Comments

niceeeee , recreate asian city's is very hard, good luck
i'am making hong kong, shenzhen and guangzhou !

you should get more asian stuff
start here http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/somy000/index.htm

there u can get asian low buildings for that you are doing in this phase

sorry for my rude english

Share this comment

Mm, I might add some, but I feel a lot of the asian bats are too "refined" for this stage, I want the town to feel like it's just been first built, and I think Maxis houses are good for that feel. Once the city develops, so will it's character.

Share this comment

I appreciate the concern. Don't worry, you'll start seeing more and more custom content as it goes along.

Share this comment