Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theterminizer

Help with creating a large NED-based map

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Alright, forgive me if I'm asking a common question, or if I'm not up on the latest mapping techniques. I haven't spent much time around the forums; I'm more of a STEX kind of guy. I tried searching but didn't really find anything relevant, though I surely didn't look hard enough because there's a lot to wade through. But if you can help me out here, hopefully I'll be on way to producing many maps for the STEX.
    I've tried making maps many times in the past but could never get it right. I recently tried my hand at it again and seem to be having much more success, and I'd like to try some larger and more complicated regions. I've always used rebel13's tutorial for creating maps because I really like the USGS Seamless website. I looked at MallowTheCloud's tutorial, but I didn't like the way you had to find data square by square using coordinates; it was often hard to find what I was looking for and I couldn't pick the size I wanted.
    In either case, if the region you want is too large, it will be delivered in pieces. That's fine if I'm doing a small region (like the one I will upload to the STEX tonight) but the next two regions I want to do are too large for either method. For example, one region I want to do is the proposed State of Jefferson encompassing large parts of northern California and southern Oregon. Seamless splits this into four pieces equaling about a gig of data, and they neither line up nor are the same brightness/contrast so there are very visible seams between squares. I haven't even attempted to get all the pieces using MTC's tutorial.
    Is there a better way to get large amounts of NED data, or is piecing together the only way to do it? In that case, is MTC's way better for piecing them together; i.e. do they fit together better than the "Seamless" data?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll be stuck uploading regions that can fit in one Seamless download, and nobody wants that.

Well, the program listed in my tutorial actually allows you to load multiple squares of data. The only problem is the free version only allows up to four (I believe) squares to be loaded. They are seamless, though.

Another solution is to use a larger scale DEM data. It's not nearly as accurate on smaller scales, but when zoomed out to state-scale, it's pretty accurate. It can be found here:

http://edc.usgs.gov/products/e...n/gtopo30/gtopo30.html

I know about the old proposed state of Jefferson. 9.gif I personally like the idea of "Cascadia"... a nation from northern California, up the west side of the Cascades to southern British Columbia. 3.gif

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: MallowTheCloudWell, the program listed in my tutorial actually allows you to load multiple squares of data. The only problem is the free version only allows up to four (I believe) squares to be loaded. They are seamless, though.quote>
    Interesting. I'll have to see how much I can get in four squares and that might actually do the trick well enough.
    Another solution is to use a larger scale DEM data. It's not nearly as accurate on smaller scales, but when zoomed out to state-scale, it's pretty accurate. It can be found here: http://edc.usgs.gov/products/e...n/gtopo30/gtopo30.htmlquote>
    That might be more what I'm looking for in this case. I will definitely give that a look.
    I know about the old proposed state of Jefferson. I personally like the idea of "Cascadia"... a nation from northern California, up the west side of the Cascades to southern British Columbia. quote>
    Me too -- because it would include me in that, and any attempt at secession (well, since the Confederacy, anyway) is a-ok with me! Thanks for your help. I'll see what I can do with this.