Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MsLynn

Industry and Commercial won't grow

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I had to delete my old city (losing money) and started a new one. Several times, because for some reason my industry and commercial won't grow. I've been playing with this SC4 for over a year now and never had this trouble. Residential is booming! But nobody has a job until I make a road out leading to the next region.

Could this be a bug? And do you really need a pic of this?46.gif

Is there demand for Commercial and Industrial development? Are there builidings popping up and then abandoning, or is there no development at all?

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: vandewal

Is there demand for Commercial and Industrial development? Are there builidings popping up and then abandoning, or is there no development at all?quote>

Absolutely no demand at all, which is puzzling, considering I'm not having any trouble in the other regions. I've tried starting the city in different areas, ie north, east, southwest etc and it's the same thing.

I zoned anyway, but of course nothing happened.

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: HunterIrked

Does that happen in just that city, try another city, or even another region...quote>

I really really like this particular region segment. It's one of the larger ones and took me a long time to create it to where I could put in a ferry system eventually. But to answer your question, it is just this city, so far, that I'm having the trouble in. I kind of wondered if it could be because I destroyed the original.

Welcome to Simtropolis.

I think that problem happened to me as well some time ago. It's probably some kind of a bug.

I'm not sure if/how I got rid of it though... but sometimes it helps when you just save, go back to the region view and then return to the city. If that didn't/doesn't help maybe try to destroy the city once again (with the god mode 'restart' button) and start zoning again.

I can't guarantee that this works though.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the welcome PhilsCafe. 4.gif

I have been using the God mode to get rid of the cities. Wipes it out, makes it nice and clean and I'm thinking all is set for a new city. When it fails I God mode it again and I've exited, looked at other regions (to see if the zones are working properly there) then come back into the original region and try again.

Seems to be an isolated problem.

Anyway, are there really patches for SimCity4?

Couple of things come to mind. The game contains some limits called demand caps. If you don't have enough Sims or infrastucture, your demand dies until you meet the requuirements. Get more R

I just posted a few days ago with a similar problem in one of my cities, except that commercial and industry grow, while residential does not. I thought that this might have something to do with installing Simgoober's heliport, but now I'm not so sure... But anyway, have you tried plopping commercial or industry pieces on top of zoned land? I found that when I plopped a residential piece on top of residential zoned land that I was able to get some people in my city, maybe the same thing would work for you with commercial and industrial pieces.

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: N_O_Body

Couple of things come to mind. The game contains some limits called demand caps. If you don't have enough Sims or infrastucture, your demand dies until you meet the requuirements. Get more R

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: s313802

I just posted a few days ago with a similar problem in one of my cities, except that commercial and industry grow, while residential does not. I thought that this might have something to do with installing Simgoober's heliport, but now I'm not so sure...

But anyway, have you tried plopping commercial or industry pieces on top of zoned land? I found that when I plopped a residential piece on top of residential zoned land that I was able to get some people in my city, maybe the same thing would work for you with commercial and industrial pieces.quote>

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pieces'.

'pieces' would be a mod where you can plop the buildings down without waiting for them to grow... i don't use it anymore because it's too complex...

as for your problem (very tedious, but very thorough), i recomend...
    >god mode obliterate
    >save
    >exit game
    >re-enter game
    >open city area (don't start city yet)
    >raise terrain by a few levels
    >lower terrain by same number of levels
    >save
    >exit game
    >re-enter game
    >start city

(if you want to try without exiting/re-entering game and see if that works first, since i am just making stuff up that MIGHT help... then again, i've never had this problem)

you could also try deleting the city file from your region folder and loading the game and re-terreforming the tile as it would suddenly be a flat piece of land/water

first method to try to keep your city while completly changing all the terrain by the game memory standard?, the second to start the city square over completly

keep in mind this has never happened to me before as i have never restarted any city as i tend to region shift constantly 18.gif

• Original Poster
  • Thanks johndg240, for explaining about the pieces. I don't know anything about mods for this game. But I'd sure like to look into it.

As far as your remedy goes, yeah, looks like I'll have to recreate the whole entire area. I tried again last night and actually got a couple commercial buildings to grow, but that was a bit shaky at best.

Oh well, part of the fun is creating the areas.

One thing that I always do in my cities:

I have a main drag for commecial, backed by several blocks of residential, like this:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

---------------------------------------

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

=====================

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

------------------------------------

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Where ------ is a street

where ==== is a road

You can have as many cross streets/roads as you like, and rapid transit as needed, but this is the major pattern.

Another trick is to replace an abandoned R building with C zoning.