Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aldara6166

Not Receiving Subscription Emails

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I have searched to see if anyone else had this problem, but no search results were relevant for keywords such as email, notification, etc.  I appologize if this is addressed elsewhere already...

I have subscribed to numerous threads, including all of my favorite CJs.  I have noticed though, that I'm not really getting many emails from SimTropolis anymore.  No, this isn't in relation to the new method of one email containing multiple thread updates...but rather the fact that some days I get no emails at all.  So, I go check threads manually and find that there have been numerous updates that I've missed because I got no email notification of the update.

Anyone have this problem as well?  Anyone have a solution? 42.gif

are you refering to threads you subsribed to before the change over, aldara?

if so, you'll have to resubscribe to them - the old subscriptions got kicked out during the last update (the urls for the pages are slightly different, as it is).

hope this helps. 9.gif

If a thread you have subscribed to gets a reply, it should be sent to your inbox. Some e-mail providers suspect Simtropolis e-mails as 'spam', so if you have set the option that deletes suspected e-mail upon reciept, you may miss out on thread updates.

If you choose to disable the option that deletes suspected mail upon reciept, make sure (if possibe) that suspected mail are sent to a separate or a special Junk Mail folder. Some e-mail companies may allow you to report Simtropolis e-mails as 'not spam', so it gets sent to the normal folder.

• Original Poster
  • Greg - Nope...I'm referring to all of my NEW subscriptions...I had procrastinated in deleting old emails just prior to SimTropolis 4.0 going down...so I just copy and pasted titles in the search function to subscribe to all my favorite threads once SimTropolis 5.0 was up... guess in this case procrastination was a good thing.  3.gif

Constantina - No...SimTropolis emails don't come in as spam...they never have.  Plus, I have Gmail through Google which has a Spam Inbox...every spam that comes through shows when it does...so, for example you might see Inbox - 6  Spam - 1.

Keep in mind the system is a little different now, the forum will only send out 1 notice to your email that a reply has been posted, and will not send out subsequent notices until you revisit that thread. 

This is a drastic improvement over the previous board, in which it would constantly send out emails, clogging up the email server and eating the bandwidth -- esp. when the recipients no longer have a valid email address and/or they no longer care for their subscriptions and instead of just unsubscribing, they block the notification emails.  This was a real weakness with idealbb.

However, if you have never received an email from Simtropolis, than there's an issue somewhere.  Try using another email address...??

• Original Poster
  • Thanks Dirk...based on your reply, I think I see what is happening now.  I got some updates initially, but largely nothing after that.  I read the email updates, but didn't visit those threads.  So, basically to keep it all coming I need to read the email update but at the very least click the link to the thread so that the server knows to send me another email next time there is an update...

Is that correct thinking?

Originally posted by: aldara6166

Thanks Dirk...based on your reply, I think I see what is happening now.  I got some updates initially, but largely nothing after that.  I read the email updates, but didn't visit those threads.  So, basically to keep it all coming I need to read the email update but at the very least click the link to the thread so that the server knows to send me another email next time there is an update... Is that correct thinking?quote>

That's correct, you must revisit the thread so that the system knows you are still actively subscribing to it... otherwise it will not send out any subsequent notifications.