Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cpodurgiel

God Mode - Terrain texture paintbrush???

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I hope this is news to everyone else, and I'm not repeating already known info. I've searched, and searched, and came up empty.

I was messing around with the God mode terrain toos, and was able to produce this:

GodModeTerrainBrush.jpg

I noticed the exemplar of the existing GodMode tools used Comp1OperationID's in the range of

0x00000000 through 0x0000000A however, the following were unused:

0x00000001

0x00000003

0x00000006

0x00000007

I modified one of the existing tools, changing the value of property Comp1OperationID (0x8A020205) to 0x00000007

It painted this texture on the landscape, however, I've yet to find a way to change what texture is painted.

Anyone with more modding experience have any interest in this?

• Original Poster
  • Thanks,

My hope (and at this point it's only a hope) is that we could make paint custom textures, snow, tall grass, dirt, sand, etc.

Pretty interesting. I'll bet there's either a property that controls which texture is used or you would simply replace the existing textures (fsh files I would guess). I'm sure one of the real experienced modders could point you in the right direction. Why don't you PM them. I would guess they'd be interested in this.

• Original Poster
  • First, the good news,

After more testing, I've discovered that changing the value of property Comp1OperationID to 0x00000003, and adding the following properties:

Comp1DecalTextureID

Comp1MaxDecalRotation

Comp1MaxPlacementsPerCell (may not be necessary)

allowed me to choose the texture that is applied.

The texture must type 0x7ab50e44 (FSH) with a GID of 0x891b0e1a

The IID of the texture is used as the value for Comp1DecalTextureID

Now, for the bad news:

1) The texture is not "scaled" properly (looks very pixelated).

2) The textures applied are not saved with the map. Similar to the God Mode Rain tool.

Hmm.... I'm not sure if anything can be done about the scaling.

Zoom functions are normally done by the instance id of the texture. That's all the scaling I ever knew of.

There's not going to be any way around the saving bit though. I've never seen anything that looked like it would allow saving that kind of stuff. Maxis just never bothered implementing it.... Guess they figured no time was left.

Interesting... But, whatever the flaws, what about a snow texture ? It could enable us to take pictures of snowy landscapes for our CJ's...

You know I was just thinking.....maybe the texture pixelation could be solved by altering the resolution of the texture image.

Like if a 256x256 image is pixelated, then maybe a 1024x1024 would not be. The logic being that perhaps it paints the whole texture across a finite amount of cells, say 8x8 cells, which would mean that the texture is scaled to fit that size.

• Original Poster
  • .....maybe the texture pixelation could be solved by altering the resolution of the texture imagequote>

Karybdis: That definatly sounds logical, when I get the chance I may play with that some to find out for sure.

natuurzoon: I'd love to be able to release this tool, however anything that is "painted" is not saved with the city, so the next time you load that city, those textures are gone.15.gif

mabey this could be realesed just so people can use it to make pretty pictures for CJs. If you do load it onto the stex you should probly put a warning in that it wont be saved so that people don't start make allsorts of threads complaining that it isn't saving

WOW!! I think even without beng able to save it, this would be a great release. Comparable to the ploppable water.

Or, better yet, the rain mod. You can't save that either, but it gets used.

Hope you release this soon. Good Job!!

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: Karybdis You know I was just thinking.....maybe the texture pixelation could be solved by altering the resolution of the texture image.

Like if a 256x256 image is pixelated, then maybe a 1024x1024 would not be. The logic being that perhaps it paints the whole texture across a finite amount of cells, say 8x8 cells, which would mean that the texture is scaled to fit that size.quote>

Well, I've tried this now, and no luck. 27.gif

I've read you posts in much of the tacked R&D threads. You did such a great job deciphering the SC4 file types, I'm hoping you can help figure this out as well. 

I created a custom texture (256x256)

PaintTest2.jpg

And here's the result when painted.

Paintbrush.jpg

It's no so much that it's pixelated, but rather the image is repeated over and over on top of the other instances with a little displacement each time it seems.  If you look closely you can make out the "4 corners" (where the colors meet from the center of the texture) in most of the "tiles".

I hope that last paragraph made sense.  It's difficult to describe.

What sort of values do you have in "Comp1MaxDecalRotation" and "Comp1MaxPlacementsPerCell"? Judging by the names, that might allow you to change this a little.

I'm pretty sure that this was originally a terrain texture changing tool (for beach or snow or something?) so the whole random-placement-to-cover-every-affected-cell deal is probably controlled in the operation's EXE controls. Textures using this were probably meant to have alpha maps so they fade to transparent at the edges (then the awkward placements would not be visible)...have you tried anything like that?

-qurlix

• Original Poster
  • @qurlix - I have thought about the alpha maps, but haven't had a chance to try that yet.  That would probably take care of the edges, but what about the texture it's self.. why is it so "large?

Here's a copy of the exemplar that defines this tool.  I have no idea what half of these do.  I was just poking around when I discovered the effect of Comp1OperationID = 3

ParentCohort    0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000 
    Exemplar Type 0x00000010 Uint32 0 TerrainBrush 
    Exemplar Name 0x00000020 String 0 SmoothingBrush 
    Comp1TextureId 0x8A020200 Uint32 0 0x88F7A2AE 
    Comp1AlignedWithMouseMoveDirection 0x8A020201 Bool 0 False 
    Comp1Width 0x8A020202 Float32 5 100,60,40,25,10 
    Comp1Strength 0x8A020203 Float32 5 0.2,0.15000001,0.1,0.075,0.05 
    Comp1BaseTextureVal 0x8A020204 Uint8 0 0x00 
    Comp1OperationId 0x8A020205 Uint32 0 0x00000003 
    Comp1DecalTextureId 0x8A020206 Uint32 1 0x00000999 
    Comp1MaxDecalRotation 0x8A020207 Float32 1 0 
    Comp1MaxPlacementsPerCell 0x8A020208 Uint32 1 0x00000001 
    Item Icon 0x8A2602B8 Uint32 0 0x4A35B803 
    Item Order 0x8A2602B9 Uint32 0 0x00000028 
    CategoryGodMisc 0x8A3143B7 Uint32 0 0x00000000 
    User Visible Name Key 0x8A416A99 Uint32 3 0x2026960B,0x4A5E093C,0x4A5EA693 
    UIActiveCursorId 0xAA2ED804 Uint32 0 0x071E56FE 
    UIIdleCursorId 0xAA2ED805 Uint32 0 0x071E5703 
    Item Description Key 0xCA416AB5 Uint32 3 0x2026960B,0x4A5E093C,0x2A5EA693 

Whoops....didnt notice this had been posted in recently ^^;;;;

This is very much a long shot, but we can try adding the scaling factors from the terrain textures.... from Readers exemplar browser, use tree view and view the terrain tree....look in any texture exemplar and replicate these properties

09C2AEF1 - Texture Size - Texture Size in Pixels for each Zoom

09C2AEF2 - Texture Mask Size - Mask Size in Pixels for each Zoom

which I figured out awhile ago (they're still unknown in reader)

copy the ones that are 32's and 64's...... I'm hoping that's the natural scaling factor..... I have NO clue what it will do to the tool exemplar though having that in place.

Also try setting these:

Comp1Width 0x8A020202 Float32 5 100,60,40,25,10  (Change to 10,10,10,10,10)

Comp1Strength 0x8A020203 Float32 5 0.2,0.15000001,0.1,0.075,0.05 (change to 0.2's, test, change to 0.05's, test.... for all of them)

It looks as though the tool exemplar might expect a texture of a much lower resolution or is trying to compensate by jumping around the texture randomly for some reason using the mechanism qurlix gussed...

Well its not really unfinished... It was already finished as far as the game allows, and has problems in its finished version. (no saving, pixelated)

We were trying to work on it, but I'm guessing my suggestions didn't work.

Anyone can make their own version of this using Reader and the above data if they want to use it for a CJ etc.