Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rochefort

St Raphael Marina - A Rochefort Tutorial

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hi everyone and welcome to another tutorial.

I've just been on a brief business trip to St. Raphael on the Cote D'Azur, France and while I was there I took a trip around the resort's marina..one of the biggest in the area. I was inspired to try to reproduce it as closely as I could once I got back, so I took plenty of photos and here's the end result.

My apologies if this posting is a little jumbled up for now. I haven't quite got to grips with the new forum set up and I don't seem to be able to space out my posts as I would want. Hopefully I'll sort that out soon and maybe edit this at a later date. For now, your patience is appreciated...as is any advise on how to set this out with the new program.

So here goes...St Raphael marina (or at least my interpretation of it) step by step.

First of all we need a site for the marina. I seem to have a lack of genuine coastline in my selection of current maps so please forgive me placing it in a river. Please note that this method can only be used on undeveloped cities as we will be raising and lowering the land. This will destroy any development you already have. You are still able to build the marina in a developed city but you will have to make extensive use of Mayor mode terraforming tools and have LOADS of patience.

1proposedmarinasitesr5vi.jpg

Next, you need to find a base level for the terraforming of the marina. Choose a land tile at the height you wish to build and level an area around it using single road tiles.

2determinebaselevelsr4wg.jpg

Now, using crtl + alt + shift open God mode to reveal the full range of terraforming tools and raise the whole land level by one click.

3choosegodmodesr7ky.jpg

Your patch of levelled ground will now look similar to this.

4raisedlandsr0th.jpg

Now go back into Mayor mode and select the levelling terraforming tool. Use the leveller to spread your site area out into what will become water again. If you are going to reproduce this marina the shape will need to be something like this.

5levelledlandsr8zq.jpg

Once you are happy with the general shape, pop back into God mode and lower the whole area one click and check how it looks.

6levelledlandonceterrainlowere.jpg

On the land you have now created, "draw" your marina shape using roads.

7drawmarinacloseupsr4mk.jpg

8drawmarinazoomoutsr2qi.jpg

Now back into God mode once again, raise terrain one click again and cut the exact shape you require using single road tiles (or the Mayor mode levelling tool if you have the skill and steady hand that I do not possess). Important.....you must make the internal face of the marina (where your jetties will go) 2 tiles wide and any linking walls only 1 tile. This is because you will need to run a road or street up to the jetties. Its a hard one to explain so pay close attention to the pics and you'll get the idea.

9singletileterraform1sr8cr.jpg

10singletileterraform2sr5il.jpg

Lower the terrain one click and check the shape. If you're happy that's the last time you'll be doing that...if not, you'll just have to keep going til you're satisfied. Thankfully I was happy so the next step is to place your jetties and road/streets. I have used the standard in game marina but you may have a favourite download you wish to use.

11terraformcompletezoomjetties.jpg

Now I am using jeronij's breakwater set in the next step as that is how most of the walls around St Raphael marina are formed.

12addbreakwatersr2ux.jpg

13breakwatercomplete1sr6sg.jpg

14breakwatercomplete2sr5fk.jpg

15breakwatercompletezoomsr0kh.jpg

After completing this, you'll be left with empty tiles along the marina walls in between the jetties. I have filled these with simple parking lots by Swamper77 but you can do what you like. I think they look pretty good and I'm grateful to Swamper77 for making them.

16jettyparking1sr2ve.jpg

17jettyparking2sr0ut.jpg

Next I am going to add jeronij's excellent maritime control tower to complete the tutorial element of the thread.

18jettyparkingcontroltowersr1e.jpg

19jettyparkingcompletezoomsr0m.jpg

From here on in, it's down to your imagination and your plug in folder. Here's how I arranged it using a few BATs mainly by Simgoober, lots more of Swamper77's parking lots, standard in-game grass lots and a few ploppable trees by Andreas Roth.

20marinacompletezoomsr4pp.jpg

21marinacomplete1sr3xd.jpg

22marinacomplete2sr3ob.jpg

23marinacomplete3sr4hi.jpg

Well that's all for this one. I hope you can take something from this and apply it to your city building, but if not thanks for reading.

Regards

Rochefort

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the comments everyone and a very big thank you to josefmayor for translating the tutorial following the request by villavicencio.

I work partly from home and next week I will be installing a fairly major bit of translation software, so from now on I may post my work in both English and French.

Originally posted by: Rochefort

Thanks for the comments everyone and a very big thank you to josefmayor for translating the tutorial following the request by villavicencio. I work partly from home and next week I will be installing a fairly major bit of translation software, so from now on I may post my work in both English and French.quote>

It's no problem at all.
    I decided to try it out on an Island I just recently made in my region
    gunisland.jpg
    It needs some more work but hey not bad for the first try right?

• Original Poster
  • josefmayor:

Superb, I love it! I'm trying to encourage people to post examples of any the creations they've come up with along the same topic lines. I get such a kick out of seeing how other members interpret what I offer up or what they were already doing for that matter.

villavicencio:

Merci de vos mots aimables ! (oh lordy, I hope that says what I mean it to. If not blame Babel Fish)

Rochefort

Decided to try my hand at this. Heres is a giant marina area slash waterfront area for what shall be the signature city of mynew region. Anyhow partly inspired by real life in which the marinas I see have hotels, confrence centers, shopping and public park areas.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the post Bluesence.

All I can say SimNewbie83, is that you've taken a simple idea and produced something breathtaking. That is simply superb !!

Originally posted by: Rochefort

Thanks for the post Bluesence. All I can say SimNewbie83, is that you've taken a simple idea and produced something breathtaking. That is simply superb !!quote>

Thanks!! see what a little tutorial can do for all us newbies. Hehehehe