Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squeakors

Greyscale in Paint? Please help!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Is there anyone that knows if it is possible to make a greayscale map in paint or something similar besides photshop? Also I know how to make bitmaps for the region and I know how to do the sizing.

Thank You for any replies. Kyle K. Riverton, Wyoming

^^^yes, but that literally means black and white. It just changes everthing in the image which isn't white (RGB255,255,255) to black (RGB0,0,0). So no, paint cannot create grayscale, and no, this is not an RTFM situation. 20.gif

You can't convert a image to greyscale in Paint, but you can make greyscale images. Let me explain:

A greyscale color is a color where all values in RGB (stands for red, green, blue if you didn't know) is the same. The color greyscale:87 is the same as rgb(87,87,87). So, you can do it in paint, but it's not easy. Here's how you do it in Paint:

There's not any good ways in paint to get a image just as many pixels in height and width as you want to have. That's why I'm recommending you to download IrfanView . Install and open the program.
    Goto Image > Create new (empty) image... Make a image with the dimensions you want and save as a bitmap (no compression). Open the image in paint and start to paint! The only thing you have to remember is to make all colors you paint with greyscale. You set it in the menu Colors > Edit colors.... Click on Define custom colors.... Type in the fields red, green and blue: 67,67,67 if you want greyscale:67. For the color greyscale:156 type 156,156,156.

If you want to be totally sure that your image is only greyscale, go in to IrfanView again (you have downloaded it, right?) and go to Image > Convert to Greyscale. Done and done!

Got it? Well if you don't, I don't have a clue what to say more. Good luck, Squeakors.

Date: 2/20/2006 5:03:24 AM
    Author: iquere
    There's not any good ways in paint to get a image just as many pixels in height and width as you want to have.
    quote>
    Are you kidding me? Image -> Attributes -> (enter desired width and height)

I agree, though, that it would be very tedious to convert the palette to greyscale, and even worse to get it back to the default.

Date: 2/22/2006 12:55:15 AM
    Author: Keiran Halcyon
    Date: 2/20/2006 5:03:24 AM

Author: iquere

There's not any good ways in paint to get a image just as many pixels in height and width as you want to have.
    quote>

Are you kidding me? Image -> Attributes -> (enter desired width and height)

I agree, though, that it would be very tedious to convert the palette to greyscale, and even worse to get it back to the default.

quote>

Sorry. I must have missed that. Thanks for correcting me.

Squeakors, if you still read this thread, please read this.

DON'T use paint for making greyscale images. It's so damn hard, and also unnecessary. I recommend the following:

Serif Photoplus 6.0 - That's what I use. Great and proffesional. (And free!)
    GIMP - Even though I've never really used it, some say it's great. (Also free!)
    SCRACC - Simple but still good for simpler maps. Also comes with a function of making configs to your map. (Superfree!)

I can't remeber anything more. Oh, right, you can also use the Landscape Designer to make generated maps (you don't make them yourself, but they can be pretty cool).