Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onlyplace4

The Wild West

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I decided to start this thread as I have received a lot of positive feedback on the STEX with regard to the Wild West Lots and BATs I have posted there.

I would welcome suggestions and ideas for further BAT's/Lots to add to the series, and also for ides for improvements, alterations, etc., etc. In fact, if it concerns the Wild West I'd like your comments as this will help me to produce Lots/BAT's you want/need/dream about 9.gif

If you do request a particular model I will do my best to come up with the goods, but my mind tends to wander at times and I just do what comes to mind. However, I do love modelling, so requests are likely to be met with enthusiam 19.gif.

One comment I have often received is that my Lots are really BATs as most of them contain a custom model. Well, I agree and I disagree ... which is typical of me 2.gif To me a BAT is the gmax model, not the finished article as there is no way of getting the BAT into the game without it sitting on a Lot! Now I kow that the first comment there will be, no a gmax mesh belongs in the 3ds section, but I would have to say that a gmax mash is entirely different to a 3ds mesh, and thus disagree. I know it's a small point, but I thought I should say why I put custom models in the Lots section 9.gif

Ok, back to the subject in hand - The Wild West.

If you have a request for a particular building I would welcome some details of the buidling, and if it is an actual building, at least some reference material to work from. I generally work from one or two photos, but I can kinda guess as to most of it provided I have at least a front picture.

If you have a request for a generic model (ie. not historical), then just fill me in on what you want and I'll see what I can come up with.

Other suggestions etc., are most welcome as my aim is to produce packs of these lots when I have run therouhg my current list of models to produce, and at that time I will also be producing the lots as growables as well as ploppables ... which should satisfy a lot of the comments I have received on the STEX.

The list I am currently working to, and which will come at the rate of about 5 a week, is:

Barber's Shop/Baths
    Doctor/Dentist - this will operate like a small medical centre
    School - there will be two versions, one to operate like an elementary school and one like a high school
    Firehouse - no need to say what this will operate like!
    Chinese Laundry
    Town Hall
    - I could do with some advice here on how to provide this as a reward
    Diamond mine
    Sawmill
    - this is a huge project that will come as a series of 6x6 lots ... don't expect this soon 2.gif
    Homesteads and ranches
    Shops and stores
    Adobe houses
    Partly built houses
    Indian settlement
    Fort

That's the list as it stands today, but I have no doubt it will change/grow!

Finally, I would like to say thank you to all the people who have downloaded my lots and left me feedback. A few votes would be nice though 3.gif

Oh yeah, and a great big thank you to the people who run, administer and moderate this site ... keep up the great work 44.gif

These will go great with my cactus flora mod. I am going to download all of your and some of Peg's lots and show you what is going to be possible with your new lots and my saguaros. I am going to make a ghost town CJ one of these days, and your lots will be used a lot. 2.gif 

Here is a pic of my cactus flora mod if you have not seen it.

<ahttp://stex.simtropolis.com/lots/johnb/johnb_desert%20flora%20mod/Ghost%20town5.jpg align=baseline>

<ahttp://stex.simtropolis.com/lots/johnb/johnb_desert%20flora%20mod/cactusin3dsmax.jpg align=baseline>

Expect some pics of a western ghost town made with your lots later today in this thread. 2.gif

Here are the screenshots I promised. I threw this ghost town together very quickly. I did not have time to make an actual desert town the way I want to someday yet. That will only be possible after you release the rest of your wild west lots.

These pictures do show what is possible to do using my cactus flora mod. There is also sage brush that Teriusu made a while ago. We can make some other desert vegetation and even some snakes and etc. This is going to be great. 9.gif

<ahttp://www.imgcity.net/server/primary/desert%20town1.jpg align=baseline>

<ahttp://www.imgcity.net/server/primary/desert%20town21.jpg align=baseline>

<ahttp://www.imgcity.net/server/primary/desert%20town31.jpg align=baseline>

Btw: those stagecoaches and horses on the left I got from Pegasus Old West props. I made a quick lot with them just to show them off. There are many other ones from BSC as well.

If you would like to know which desert mod I used and other lots PM me. To get my cactus flora mod search for Johnb on the stex.

• Original Poster
  • Looking good, especially with the train going through 9.gif I have the meshes for the stagecoach, conestoga and chuck wagon ... Pegasus and I must have visited the same site at some time, though for the life of me I can't think where I got them from ... it's my age, the braincells must be dying 18.gif I am going to be putting together a props pack when I have finished the main series of models which will include such little things as skulls (as one would expect to find in the desert lol), indian tepees, snakes, bison, horses, mules, etc., etc., so suggestions for props would also be most welcome.

I am putting together a small town of my own from these buildings and will post some pics of this soon.

One of the models I am working on, but which might be a time before it's complete, is a Mississippi river boat ... I tend work on a large model, then move on to a small model that I can complete quickly, then go back to the large one and do a bit more, and so on and so forth 9.gif

Anyway, glad you are all liking the Wild West stuff ... much, much more to come soon! Watch this space29.gif

I don't always have time to leave comments on the Exchange, so I came here to thank you again for the great Wild West stuff.  I absolutely love it and use it whenever I can.

I agree with the suggestion that a set of transit-enabled streets (these could maybe be pedestrian mall tiles) would be excellent.  The alleys are nice, but I'd like to see a little bustle in the town - perhaps some people props would add to the flavor.

I'd like to see you put more ground around some of the buildings and make them irregularly shaped sometimes.  SC4 is, of course, pretty much a squarepants game, but I like to break out of the old rectangular mode sometimes.  This would also allow you to develop some interesting props, flora, and textures ... I don't think the desert/cactus terrain looks very good next to these buildings ...

A couple of info items:

-As I reported to you on the Exchange, the plop cost for the hotel was, indeed, 110,000 Simoleans (I changed it to 2500 with the SC4 tool).

-Alleys - I'm getting a building on two of the bare dirt and alley end lots.  Anyone else have this? 

Also, what is the deal with that special money cheat lot (it shows up in the Parks menu as an open grass area, has a pinkish ground texture, palm trees, and plaza sculpture, shows as having been created in 2003, and, if you plop it, messes with your income by 4 trillion Simoleans).  Once I tracked down where the silly thing came from, I deleted it. 

The walkway corners detract from the flexibility of these lots, because you can't get them to look right unless you have exactly the right kind of building in exactly the right place.

-Not a Wild West lot, but the Rapunzel tower is obnoxiously huge.  Also, I can't get the night lighting to work - just me?

I know, I know, b1tch, b1tch, b1tch, some people are never happy.  Bottom line is I think Wild West is the greatest, and thanks again.

JohnB, I really like this idea.  Two observations:

The saguaros look too much like Gumby.  IRL, they have more of a ribbed texture, and the color is more of a grayish-brown highlighted, uneven, dirty green.

More flora and props!  Yucca trees.  Prickly pears.  The occasional burnt-out wagon and that omnipresent icon of the old West, the skeletal remains of a longhorn steer would be MINT!

Good stuff, though.

Date: 2/18/2006 4:14:45 PM Author: pasternakski

JohnB, I really like this idea.&nbsp; Two observations:

The saguaros look too much like Gumby.&nbsp; IRL, they have more of a ribbed texture, and the color is more of a grayish-brown highlighted, uneven, 'dirty' green.
    More flora and props!&nbsp; Yucca trees.&nbsp; Prickly pears.&nbsp; The occasional burnt-out wagon and that omnipresent icon of the old West, the skeletal remains of a longhorn steer would be MINT!
    Good stuff, though.

quote>
    Actually my saguaros do have ridges or a ribbed texture on them. You have to understand something with Sc4 BAT. When it comes to tiny details like ridges and etc, they basically dont show up at all. Anything smaller then a meter does not show up.

To show you what I mean, here is one of my cactus models in Gmax before render.

saguaro3.JPG

You cannot see all those details once rendered. That is one of the things we have to deal with in Sc4. We have to compromise a little when it comes to small details. 2.gif 

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the feedback pasternakski. I have fixed the problem with both the alleys and the hotel ... new zip files have now been uploaded. The 4 billion simolean thingy was just something I had in the same folder and it got copied into the original zip file by mistake 43.gif ... sorry about that.

I have now started to make sure that all my files are simply put up as .dat files as this makes keeping track of them in the plugins folder so much simpler! 9.gif When you grab the new alleys zip file make sure you delete anything that says WildWestAlley from your plugins ... or it could get messy! lol Likewise, if you d/l the revised hotel make sure you delete the old files first.

I'm glad you like the Wild West stuff ... I love making it! 19.gif

Not had any probs with the lighting on Rapunzels Tower myself ... not sure what the problem could be there.

Anyway, much more to come in the Wild West theme ... ahhh ... the advantages of working from home 9.gif

• Original Poster
  • Growable versions with jobs etc., will follow once I have assembled all the models I need for all the lots and can release them as packs. At the moment I am working on a number of further Wild West models, but have been kinda side-tracked as it is the children's half-term break 46.gif and I have really got my teeth stuck into the large sawmill project I have been doing (more info here ).

Rest assured growable lots will follow, as will rewards etc., as and when I release the Wild West packs ... could be a while though as I want to cover enough to enable people to build realistic frontier towns, cities and landscapes.

I am really enjoying your lots and was about to start a small one city region just to experiment with them.  After looking over your list I think I'll be patient for awhile and wait for a few more lots to be uploaded.  Keep up the good work. 10.gif

• Original Poster
  • Sorry not been doing a lot on this lot for a little while as I have been concentrating on my sawmill project, but as soon as that is out of the way I will be back to the Wild West theme with avengeance face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hey, stud.  Glad this place is still alive (although the bunnies and duckies thingie was a bit much - maybe Dirk needs a driver upgrade).

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along that I have built an entire park (12x14) in one of my cities using the Wild West stuff - it's the greatest.  I'll post a jpeg of the result one of these days, maybe you'll get a kick out of it.

One thing - the saloon seems to be missing its building (when I plop it, all I get is a vacant lot with a few props at the back).  Could you check that out?

Kids, huh?  "There but for the grace of god ..." and so on.  Looking forward to more goodies when you get the time.

• Original Poster
  • I've had that problem too pasternakski face-icon-small-sad.gif I also had the bank turning up on one of the alley tiles. From what I can work out (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this), this has something to do with the way the BAT/Plug-in Manager/Lot Editor randomises the IDs of the various elements, in this case the ID of the building. However, this seems to be cured by converting the model, desc and lot files into a .dat file, so in future all my Lots etc., will be dats. When the STEX is back up and running I will firstly revise ALL the current Wild West lots so that they are dats (makes managing them so much easier too face-icon-small-happy.gif) and then I'll get on with making some new stuff. Would love to see the park you've greated face-icon-small-cool.gif

• Original Poster
  • Would love to see some images of your park 9.gif I've had the same problem with the saloon and the alleys, but this has been cured by maiing the lots as .dat files. They are on the STEX (when that comes back), or if you have the utility to convert files to a .dat that should cure it for you ... PM me if you need help etc. More goodies to follow real soon as the sawmill is currently undergoing final rendering and tweaking ... so, as they say, watch this space! 9.gif Hmmmmmmmm ... odd, when I posted reply above it didn't show ... now it does ... ah well lol

• Original Poster
  • I'm sure it would be possible but it's way past my abilities ... I would have no idea where to start. Maybe one of the modding gurus could be persuaded to do something ... I'll have to sound them out once I get back to this theme in the next few days.

I think they're still having problems with some of the forum parameters and features.  I notice that the thread entries don't go to the top of the column on the first page but trail along after the left-column matter.  I'm sure they'll get it squared away soon (the baby poop green buttons on the page-to-page selection menu could sure stand a little work...)

Anyway.  I looked at the saloon files and noted that maybe the two lots are reversed.  I didn't use the growable, as I don't want this stuff popping up all over town (I like it where I can group it together).  The C$$ lot is said to be "1x2" and the LM lot is said to be "2x1," while the model and description files in those two folders are the other way around.  Just a thought.

Here's a screenie of my little Wild West park in a town I call Silver City (pop. 149,000 and refusing to grow for reasons I don't yet understand).  I try to keep "special areas" like this (I have a lot of fun building university areas, too, with stadiums, specialty landmarks, ponds, parks, and so on) compact, so this is obviously pretty dense.  Note that the entrance is flanked by the sheriff's office, which seemed to me to be fitting.  Check yer shootin' irons on the way into town, pardner, or ride on!

post-141174-12985059027508_thumb.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Looking good pardner 9.gif Thanks for posting that ... nice to see stuff I have made being used ... gives me a warm feeling inside lol

You could be right with the saloon problem. I will be looking at ALL the Wild West stuff again in the next few days after I have finished off the sawmill, and revising them where I feel they need it, then combining all the files as .dat files and re-releasing the models on the STEX (note: I will simply update the durrent files in the STEX but announce it here). At that time I will perhaps also combine a few of the models into a Wild West Pack ... dunno yet on that one, it's a might do, not a defiite do 9.gif

Anways pardner, glad you are liking the Wild West stuff ... there's a heap more to come yet 9.gif

Howdy, Pasternakski.

Listen here, Pahdnuh. 'Round these here parts, theyis only room fer one Mr. Natural. An' that be me!

4.gif2.gif18.gif2.gif4.gif

(NOTE: Only kidding here. Not serious at all.)

I like your Silver City picture. You've done a very nice job incorporating all of OnlyPlace's great Old West BATs/Lots.

Looking forward to more.

Regards,

Vandy

Hey, Vandy, I thought we were ALL Mr. Natural...

Thanks for the kind words about my little Wild West park, but, like I said before, I gotta keep such stuff pretty compact, otherwise it takes over the whole place.  I'm thinking that when our hero gets pretty much all of his Wild West stuff done, I may make a list of what's there (probably should do that already) and fiddle around with some other products (I particularly like Pegasus's fort and Big John's mine) to see if maybe I could put together an entire small city based on just a Wild West theme.  Would need places for people to live and some C and I growables, though, and I think onlyplace4 has plans for that kind of thing.

Great fun.  I just started a new large city in one of my regions, and I've got a little corner all reserved for a bigger and better Wild West theme park.

BTW, onlyplace4, it sure would be nice to see some people props (and maybe some aminals) in this stuff.  It looks a lot like a ghost town without 'em (I know automata are out of the question for now, but I note some of the props in dolhin66's lots are pretty good, although I never responded as positively to that series as I have to your Wild West creations).

post-141174-12985059138818_thumb.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Got a whole range of props planned, as well as growables ... my intention is that in the end you could grow and entire Wild West town ... and now that I have got the sawmill project out of the way I can come back to the Wild West and give it my full attention 9.gif