Sign in to follow this  
PatternRec

How do trains work?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Now that we can create tunnels I'm more interested in how commuters use trains. I understand that commuters will drive to a train station, but what happens when they get off? Do they have to be able to walk from the station to their destination? Do they transfer to local transportation? Would love some more info so I can start planning some more commuter rail.

I often notice large amounts of people walking from the train station but after that I lose them! I always place a bus stop near as I can to the train station!!!

Train stations are for traveling between cities only.

- Sims can walk to the station or drive and park there

- Sims will travel to stations if another city, connected by rail and also in possesion of a station, has something not available in your city (extra jobs/shopping etc.)

- Railways are the most reliable way of intercity traveling because trains are so fast

- The numbers on the trainstation can be wrong, so don't put too mach value on them.

- Stations also bring in a few tourists even if you have 0 tourism buildings, which helps your commercial.

If you have sims that need jobs/shopping in a nearby city, placing a station near your residential is a good idea. If you have lot's of commercial and need other cities to supplement your shopper count, placing a station near your commercial is also a good idea. It's another highway entrance for all intent and purposes.

If you want travel within your city, you'll need to use streetcars instead.

- Travel from and to streetcar stops is always by foot (so you need to build them close to your buildings)

- Streetcars will always move to another stop where they can pick up new sims, sims who happen to have a destination near the stop will get out

- If a streetcar is full, it will head towards the nearest place where it can unload sims it has on board

- Streetcars work best when placed in a long line without intersections, the less options the streetcar has the better

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the info Spline. I've got a nice simple rail connecting two cities right now, and tunnelling under one to get commuters from the far end of the city as well as connecting to the trade port. It's working great!

• Original Poster
  • Now that I have my rail system up and running, does anyone know why I have a train with a recycling symbol on it coming into my city? I didn't know rail had anything to do with recycling.

• Original Poster
  • Oh and one more thing I forgot the mention: sims who enter your city with the station can bring their foldable cars with them or teleport a taxi to the station. 

You'd think in a world where teleportation is available they'd have abandoned the foldable cars a long time ago. I guess some people will always hold on to the past...

Oh and one more thing I forgot the mention: sims who enter your city with the station can bring their foldable cars with them or teleport a taxi to the station. 

You'd think in a world where teleportation is available they'd have abandoned the foldable cars a long time ago. I guess some people will always hold on to the past...

You guys are kooky! :rofl:

- The numbers on the trainstation can be wrong, so don't put too mach value on them.

Yes.  I don't think I've puyt down a train station yet that didn't have an immdiate "I wish the mayor would build another train station!" - even thought the number says only 75 people used it.  When you put it down the local tourists (I assume) crowd to the new station.  Give it a while to sorty out.

• Original Poster
  • I've just gotten the train station bug I read about in a different thread. One of my stations now has 2000 people currently waiting with 870 minutes as the current wait time yet it also says 0 commuters per day. I bulldozed the station for now. 

Previous to this I think but am not sure that the rail connection to the Trade Port had stopped working. Sigh.

Just kidding here.  Each time I see the name of this thread I want to post:

"Well, first you need to lay rail down between one place and another.  Then you build a vehicle with a large engine, capable of plulling huge loads, and give it wheels which will run on the rails.  Next you put cars behind the engine and the engine hauls the cars from one place to another.  That's how trains work, in a nutshell. :)"