Sign in to follow this  
Wookienator

Barsoom Project not like I expectet

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey guys

I am a huge fan of the idea of building a futuristic city

So, of course, I had to download the Barsoom project mod as a basic for upcomming custom building...

But (There is always one) I have some problems with it

At first I am very confused about how to install it correctly...Yep I read the manual and I put the files into the "plugins" folder. the I started to delete some files, so the game looks exactly like on the Green and with the old SC4 UI and streets (and some minir stuff)

1. A lot of building that contain streets still have the martian streets - How to fix that?

2. The large Hospital causes a CTD everytime

3. Some menus still have the red look (terraforming,...). I removed the "Terraforming icons" file

4. Is it possible to get the old icons back, for streets eg, if I decided to keep the vanilla roads.

I think this are all questions I have for the moment :D

!!! I have installed no mods or anything beside Barsoom Project and used a clean and fresh updated installation of SC4 Deluxe edition on STEAM !!!

Thank you for help!

Side note: If Terring will ever read this Thread: I am huge fan of your work. It is very inspireing.

Hey guys

I am a huge fan of the idea of building a futuristic city

So, of course, I had to download the Barsoom project mod as a basic for upcomming custom building...

But (There is always one) I have some problems with it

At first I am very confused about how to install it correctly...Yep I read the manual and I put the files into the "plugins" folder. the I started to delete some files, so the game looks exactly like on the Green and with the old SC4 UI and streets (and some minir stuff)

1. A lot of building that contain streets still have the martian streets - How to fix that?

2. The large Hospital causes a CTD everytime

3. Some menus still have the red look (terraforming,...). I removed the "Terraforming icons" file

4. Is it possible to get the old icons back, for streets eg, if I decided to keep the vanilla roads.

I think this are all questions I have for the moment :D

!!! I have installed no mods or anything beside Barsoom Project and used a clean and fresh updated installation of SC4 Deluxe edition on STEAM !!!

Thank you for help!

Side note: If Terring will ever read this Thread: I am huge fan of your work. It is very inspireing.

Well it's a long story friend. Your problems are due to wrongly installing the mod, causing the  SimMars code to interfere with normal sc4.

However installation of this mod is tricky. Here's what I did last time.

1. Download the text file which gives you a link to an external site then download the real mod from there.

2. Open the zip folder and copy the folder inside "Zz Memories of the Colonies" into your plugins folder My documents/SimCity4/Plugins These are the futuristic Earth lots.

3. Now go into the Barsoom Project.zip folder again and go to "original simmars" folder.

4. Go into the #Mods sub folder and delete everything except for the file "MarsRover.dat" which just adds futuristic hydrogen cars to the streets of your cities.

And that file is optional;if you don't want it you don't have to save it. You delete everything else in "#Mods" folder because they turn the ground red and screw up sc4 and make it SimMars.

5. Once that's done go into "#Textures" folder and delete everything except:   base&overlay1.1.dat , base-add.dat  , and foundations.dat These files are required. You can also choose to keep  highwaytextures.dat    and  retainingwalls.dat  These files change the maxis freeway texture into the simMars futuristic texture. They are optional. If you have the NAM, make a subfolder in your Plugins folder just for these files named "zzz" and put the files in it.

6. Now this is the most tedius step. in the folder "original simmars" go into every one of there folders: +Commercial, +Industry, +Residential, -Civic, -Landmarks, -Parks, -Rewards, -Transit, -Utility. You need to delete all the .sc4lot files in these folders and sub-folders but keep the .sc4model , .sc4desc and .dat files. Keep your eye on the file endings. And start with the first folder and work your way to the bottom.

By deleting the Martian .sc4lot files you make sure that they won't grow in your city because they have red dirt lot texture.

7. Keep the folder #Props and don't do anything to it.

8. Copy the revised folder "original simmars" into your Plugins folder. When you open the game you should see them.

I am basically the expert of all futuristic things besides Terring. I invite you to join our futuristic group.

http://community.simtropolis.com/groups/73-new-horizons/

We are the people who are born ahead of their time. We try to recreate future cities just the way we like 'em.

Join the group and you'll have acess to over this page with over 100's of cool future plugins and mods!

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/55039-list-of-futuristic-buildings/

Wanna build a future city? See how we make them:

Also you might want to check out my stuff too.

http://community.simtropolis.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=524348

• Original Poster
  • Steps 1 -3 are already done like I mentioned in my post :D But thanks anyway

I will try anything you told me, but I am curious cause this contains more than the official manual covered...But I will give it a try

I will try anything you told me, but I am curious cause this contains more than the official manual covered...But I will give it a try

I had that problem like you too. That is how I solved it. Yeah I'm a geek, I know.

• Original Poster
  • Okay my result

Everything is now like I expected it form this mod :) thank you very much

All streets are fitting and my game does not crash when I place the hospital ;)

But I would not delete "BlockAllMaxisBuildings_DATs_V2" and the "Maxis Content Removal System"...so the mod will automatically stop all Maxis building from building and will also delete the maxis buldings from the menu

I guess this is why you deleted so many files from the Commercial, Industry,...folders right?

Greetings

Now that's very interesting. I have Barsoom Project installed just like I have wrote in the manual and everything works fine. Inside the Barsoom Project, I have the SimMars and Zz Memories of the Colonists, where the lots of the second folder overwrite the lots of the first one. I tried to make the installation as easy as possible, but I failed. I'll attempt to fix it, but not now. I'm busy with the part 2 of Barsoom Project. I'll see what I can too.

I feel like an idiot. Wrong, I am an idiot!

Now that's very interesting. I have Barsoom Project installed just like I have wrote in the manual and everything works fine. Inside the Barsoom Project, I have the SimMars and Zz Memories of the Colonists, where the lots of the second folder overwrite the lots of the first one. I tried to make the installation as easy as possible, but I failed. I'll attempt to fix it, but not now. I'm busy with the part 2 of Barsoom Project. I'll see what I can too.

I feel like an idiot. Wrong, I am an idiot!

To make the installation easier, why not just remove the martian lots and mods prior to uploading it. Doing it once like that saves many users from doing it multiple times.

• Original Poster
  • I am pretty sure the mistake is not caused by your stupidity and more because every computer and every system is different. But with the help of Konstantin everything is working perfectly now ;) Thanks again

To make the installation easier, why not just remove the martian lots and mods prior to uploading it. Doing it once like that saves many users from doing it multiple times.

Thought about that, too while hitting my head against the wall to figure out what I am doing wrong :D

I tried it and the result was messy. I even get complains for that! By the way, I make some updates in the description of I hope that this will help new users to deal with any problem.

Thank you very much :D

• Original Poster
  • I am pretty sure this will help a lot of people

Thank you guys

@Konstantin

Thank you for inviting me to the group ;) I really appreciate it

And I will check your files out as well :)

• Original Poster
  • Nice stuff

have to find some time to check them out

But for now I will stay with terring's list, because I think it is quiete complete and gives me fast access to a lot of good stuff

Greetings

6. Now this is the most tedius step. in the folder "original simmars" go into every one of there folders: +Commercial, +Industry, +Residential, -Civic, -Landmarks, -Parks, -Rewards, -Transit, -Utility. You need to delete all the .sc4lot files in these folders and sub-folders but keep the .sc4model , .sc4desc and .dat files. Keep your eye on the file endings. And start with the first folder and work your way to the bottom.

By deleting the Martian .sc4lot files you make sure that they won't grow in your city because they have red dirt lot texture.

A shortcut for this to make it not quite so tedious would be, while you are in those file folders you click on the box in the upper right corner of your "my computer" window where it says "search" and type in that box ".sc4lot"  It will search for and display all '.sc4lot' files at the top and you can highlight all of them and delete all of them in one single action.

Edit:  I just saw that, Barsoom project part 2?  Well now, you all might just hook me in too with that.

Edit:  I just saw that, Barsoom project part 2?  Well now, you all might just hook me in too with that.

Part 2's objective is to relot all rewards, airports, seaports and grownable lots. This means less Maxis stuff and more SimMars stuff. No more Maxis blockers. More in