Sign in to follow this  
coreyo

City taking a long time to load

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi everyone. I started playing SC4 again but I'm having some issues. When I first start SC4 and go to load any city, even start a new one, it takes upwards of five minutes to load. No matter what region or city I select, it always takes at least a few minutes. When the city loads up, everything is fine. I don't experience any crashes or major issues. The kicker is that once I exit back to my region and load that city again or load any other city in that region or another, it loads up just fine. It only takes a long time to load when I first start up the game and load the first city. Per the sticky, here's my info:

-Running SC4 Rush Hour with the latest update plus the latest NAM update. No other extras are installed that I know of. 

-Specs:

Asus G51vx Notebook

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2.00 Ghz (2 CPUs), ~2.0 Ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

286 GB HD w/ 143 GB available

4096MB RAM

Page File: 1983MB used, 6204MB available

DirectX 11

What I've tried so far:

-Desktop shortcut is set up so I can run program as an admin, I have this in part of the shortcut "-d:directx  -f -CPUcount:1" without quotes of course, I've tried running in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP 2 and 3 and Windows 2000.

-I have put the game down to lowest settings. I have also tried running under software rendering instead of hardware. 

-I have NOT done a fresh install yet but will try tomorrow.

If I remember anything else, I'll drop another post in here. Thanks in advance!

I'm having the exact same issue: first tile takes a solid 3 minutes to load then all subsequent tiles load much faster (30 secs). Since you stated you have the latest NAM, I highly suspect it to be the reason why the first city you load takes forever: I never had this problem before installing NAM 31.

ANyways; the NAM devs are working on 31.1 which will likely sort this out as the controller file size will be much smaller.

Mine doesn't even load at all...

You need to start a new, detailed, thread.

Second post for everyone else on this thread:  Are your GPU 3D settings marked such that they are only set if the requesting program does it?

• Original Poster
  • Mine doesn't even load at all...

You need to start a new, detailed, thread.

Second post for everyone else on this thread:  Are your GPU 3D settings marked such that they are only set if the requesting program does it?

I changed the settings for my card but no difference. Magneto: Good point. Now that I remember, the problem might have started when I installed the new NAM version. I'm going to try removing it and report back.

• Original Poster
  • Sure enough, uninstalling the NAM worked! I think I'll wait for the next patch for the NAM. Thanks everyone for your help!

I think it happens with a lot of us. I just twiddle my thumbs or dust off my keyboard while it's loading.

I just watch tv or listen to a song! I just assumed it was because I just started using custom content now. I have the pervious NAM but I did originally install the new NAM but uninstalled it when my cities wouldn't load at all. Now just the person who started this thread said the first time I load a city it's between 3-5 mins but then after that no more than 30 seconds. Go figure.

I could go grab something to eat in the time it takes to load a plugin heavy city of only 24,000 on a large tile. The new NAM is also causing the game to crash during saves, then I lose what ever I've done. Makes me scared to play, honestly. Saves are my only safeguards against crashing.