Sign in to follow this  
relion65

Random Die Off Event

25 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ive been playing simcity 4 for a long time... and this is the first time this has happened... i got a city to a population of over 1,125,000 with quite a bit of high density commerical and residential development... and then all of a sudden, the cities population dropped to do 989,035. Where did a massive pop die off come from, especially when there is no dirt industry, commute times are like 30-35 min, which is not bad... and there was no indication watsoever... the only things ANY of my advisors are complaining about is my traffic advisor about an overloaded avenue... that it. Also, now matter how hard i try now, the cities pop wont go over a mil... and residential areas have severely decreased pop all over the city. so what in the world happened? Also, im running nam.

post-342346-0-04585500-1355418080_thumb.

The Sims population is cyclic. Take a look at your Population by Age graph. If it is skewed to the right, you need more younger Sims to replace those that actually die of old age. Sims are not immortal. Take a look at the Population by Age display. Lots of blue areas are older Sims who need museums and libraries to keep them happy. It doesn't stop them from dying, however.

Interesting. Rather than a die off, you seem to have had a move out. One that massive is saying something about not enough jobs in the right categories. On your jobs and population graph have you had a specific class of Sims move out? Were you having a spate of no-job zots? How is your ratio of C+I:R? Should be around 1:2. (Easiest way to see this is on the opening dialogue for the city).

• Original Poster
  • Look at the first picture i provided... almost 100000 medium wealth moved out and a good portion of high wealth moved out, but also notice how low wealth increases by almost 100000, so it wasnt just one class.(at first 200000 people moved out! the population dropped to 925,000 and i managed to get it up to where it is now) Also, cant access it right now, but i know from memory it was like a mil+ in pop, like 522,000 commercial jobs and like 75000 in industry... 50000+ of that is hightech... so i would say the C+I:R is good... wanna know what happened? i rezoned ONE TINY industrial zone in the middle of my city into high density commercial and almost 200000 people decided to move out for some reason... and what i cant understand is with such a mass moveout why didnt it affect the commericial sector? ALL commericial and industrial areas still have pretty much full employment... not like my residential skyscrapers that are now like 1/4 full unlike the 100% full they were... LOL(i know you said not enough jobs... but there is more than enough jobs... )

Says he has NAM. Did you by any chance look at the desirability display when this happened? Something drove those Sims away. Starting to sound like you created a NIMBY effect. This can happen if you bulldoze a pollution control BAT lot.

• Original Poster
  • ummmm... ive been playing this game for a long time now... but i really didnt get like super in depth in it until recently... so moose, i have no idea wat your reffering to... the only mod installed is the newest nam... so maybe you can explain it little more in depth wat you mean... also, i dont see why people would move out in first place... i have very, very low tax rates across the board... i use that one feature of nam to generate my money... thats why i have like 30 billion simoleons... so idk really...

NIMBY ::= Not In My Back Yard. When you canned that industrial pod did it leave a big blot of pollution? If so, what did you do to clean it up? The desirability display is the bottom one in the first row of auxiliary displays. When something goes to pot, you need to check the various information panels and graphs to see what has happened.

Also, at the time this was going on did you see anything on the dashboard that might have given you a warning? Not enough players pay attention to this set of Sim-opinion polls. [The dashboard is the default display of horizontal graphs you have when you open a city. You can turn it on by using the bottom right selector button next to the RCI thumbnail.]

All those displays and graphs are there to help. Every player should have a good handle on them.

• Original Poster
  • I think it's glitched or something. People just won't stay... I've tried everything... I just don't know... The population just keeps dropping... Its now at 800000...

It ain't over until it's over. Did you try the buildings I linked you to? What's your traffic situation look like? You have nothing installed except NAM, correct? Install the Census Repository Facility and post a screenshot of your information screen so we have some clues to work with.

If all else fails, you could always upload your city's region to Dropbox/somehere and I could check the problem for myself.

• Original Poster
  • Well my sc4 is messed up anyways... It decides when it wants to work and if I hit the windows button, go do something, and then try to reclick sc4, it quits everytime... And it also rages on saving sometimes or it'll rage for no reason... But i just installed the crf and a twin towers thing plus a few more Nam subcomponents... So ill see ways going on...

• Original Poster
  • Giggles you just made me very happy... You just fixed my sc4. I can alt tab now without it rage quitting! Alright now i can properly try and fix this... Lol

nope i take that back... it tried switching between my browser and sc4 and it crashed... but at least it shouldnt crash while im playing now... ROFL

• Original Poster
  • My computer should be able to handle that tho... i have an amd athlon 64 fx-62 2.8ghz dualcore processor, 4gb of ram, an nvidia geforce 7950 gt graphics card... even today its still a pretty nice gaming computer even tho the parts are four years old... i use chrome for web browsing... and i play in full screen. Even that doesnt come close to using up all 4gb of ram, and apparently my swap file is like 10gb. Im also running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. Also, i had no idea that sc4 has a windowed mode... or i wouldve seen it before now... especially with how long ive been playing... LOL

Well, you shouldn't have a problem with switching. However there are a couple of no-nos.

Don't switch away during a save. This can result in minimally the loss of your regional snapshot and worst case corruption of the file with loss of the city. Secondly, don't switch away during the program tear down. All kinds of bad things can happen if you do a "Save and exit" and an immediate ALT+TAB.

I hope you are setting yourself up with the -CPUcount:1 option on the command line to keep the O/S scheduler from trying to multidispatch the program. It is single threaded.

Save frequently. The in-game save is CTRL+s. Better safe than recovering a lot of stuff.

• Original Poster
  • I know all that... no, when im playing in game... and i just want to switch over to chrome real quick... it switches, i do wat i do... try to bring up sc4 and then everytime it crashes... i already put in the cpucount thing...

• Original Poster
  • i used to use firefox... i use chrome because its a hundred times better than ie and firefox... and my computer doesnt like ie or firefox... and its works a 1000 times faster... and at that point i think its my computer... my windows is blown out on top of some other problems and has been for the past year and the only way to fix these problems is with money i dont have... but i'll get that pic of the crf data up soon... or wat makes me mad the most is when i launch sc4, and alot of the times it wont even start... it plays like half of the startup animation sequence(the one with the ea symbol), freezes, and rage quits... try to reopen... does it again... it decides when it wants to work... it was also deciding how long i could play it... if i played for 8 hours and it ctd, it wouldnt let me start up for like the next couple days... its really messed up... and idk IF that's even attributable to my computer problems or if its the game itself and it doesnt like my computer for some reason... irdk...

I've no idea what a rage quit is. Computers are machines, and they do what they are told. Browsers are like religions and your hyperbole shows that you have become a chrome acolyte. I guess being in the business for over 50 years has made me application neutral. I carry no axe for anything.

What you probably need to do is disk maintenance. Windows does a lousy job at this, but they do supply some decent tools. If you've never done any of this, be prepared for a couple of overnight runs.

All the tools are accessible from "My Computer". Right click on your hard drive icon and open the properties pages. You should find both Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter buttons on the first panel. I am not sure where the Check Disk (chkdsk) request is, probably in some "advanced" page. Here is what I suggest you do:

1. Run Disk Cleanup. Nothing else, not even a browser, should run while this is on. It will take a very long time if you've never done it, so go out and play or sleep on it. Watching this run is about as exciting as watching grass grow. When it is finished you will get a page that specifies what it proposes to drop permanently. You need to review this, and if you don't understand what it is telling you, allow it to delete everything listed.
    2. Next run Disk Defragmenter. This is another must stand alone program. It fixes files that have overflowed into more than one disk space, and puts them back together to occupy a single space for quick access and loading. Disks under the Windows file system (NTFS) can really be messed up over time. This program fixes this. You might as well do this overnight if you've never done it before.
    3. Set up check disk (chkdsk) to run. It will not run until you do a cold boot, and then it will run before windows starts. It recovers any lost segments of your disk's master file table that may have been pushed off the end by fragmentation. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to finish. Another unattended task that can just be left to chuckle away to itself to completion.

This should enliven your machine. If you run the first two of these programs at least once a week they are fairly qucik, but initial runs are painful.

• Original Poster
  • I have the newest aso(advanced system optimizer), and i have eset smart security five... its isnt the problems you think... a plugin for skyrim blew my windows out about a year ago and its just been messed up since...

• Original Poster
  • cant fix it... it blew out my windows and i dont have a reinstall disc and that costs money i dont have... so its been like this for a year and probably will continue to be for a while still... LOL

Switch to Linux. It is free. Hop over to Off Topic and look at the Linux Corner thread. You can get Ubuntu here. It is not quite the same as windows but it is supported. You will have to add wine (WINdows executive) from the distribution so you can run windows executables. The default desktop will do for openers, but you may want to look at others, all available from the distro, when you get some experience with it. I actually use the GNOME Classic Desktop which is very much like XP except that the Start button is replaced by a menu. If you look at my last post in the Off Topic desktop thread you'll see it.

Linux will sit parallel to your damaged windows installation and it can quite happily read/write the NTFS files, or you can migrate them to ext4 at your leisure. You'll want to download the live CD image for either 32- or 64-bit as the case may be. I am currently on Ubuntu 12.10. You might want to consider 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) instead, as it is quite solid. I am still getting sends to the developers on component failures on 12.10. However, Linux does not BSOD. It just reloads the failed component after a dump, and continues instantly. You will get by default: Firefox and LibreOffice. You may also want Thunderbird mail and the calendar extension.

Updates are on-line and you can have them set up to be automatic if you wish. You will want wine version 1.4.1