Sign in to follow this  
citiesxlfan42

Viruses and SC4

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello!

So, I play Sim City 4 on my desktop at home. It has run quite well for a long time. However, it recently has been freezing, over and over again. I took it to the Geek Squad, and they found over 500 viruses and pieces of malware on the computer. The problem is, I barely download anything over than SC4 plug-ins. I'm worried that all of these viruses were slowly contracted over time from downloading plug-ins, and it worries me deeply. Also, I transfered it off the ailing computer, and took all of the plug-ins and regions to the laptop. A little over a week later, the hard drive died. I'm concerned about SC4 plugins now. I love the game, but I really dislike playing vanilla SC4. I'm not sure what to do or what to think here. Thanks,

citiesxlfan42

I hope this problem is not from here , as I have downloaded several hundred items from here .

But I have not experienced any problems other then , the occasional CTD , Knock on wood right .

Good luck .

I would be quizzing them on exactly where those viruses were (I'd be requesting an itemised list of the path of each purported virus).

On their own, SC4 plugins really can't do anything. The scope for modifying something outside of SC4 is basically nil unless it's a loaded DLL, which you should only be downloading from someone trustworthy like BlueLightning, Lowkee, SimMaster or Buggi.

The problem is, I barely download anything over than SC4 plug-ins

citiesxlfan42

If you downloaded plugins from legitimate sites; Simtropolis, SimPeg, SC4 Devotion, etc - definitely no malware / virus. You picked it up somewhere else.

If you picked up your plugins from a torrent or other questionable site, you takes your chances. (This community does not support torrents / illegal downloads.)

The recommended exchanges mentioned on this site are all moderated. It sounds to me like you may have collected some material from other places, or have been using torrents or other unapproved download sites. Turn on your firewall, and beware of any free anti-virus programs. These are often malware, and blithely deliberately infect your machine.

For what it costs, a solid, dependable AV program is needed on all windows machines.

• Original Poster
  • No, I have not used any sites other than SimPeg, SOMY, Simtropolis, and SC4Dev. It may be something unrelated, as the laptop was found to be loose sensors due to sudden movement. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

citiesxlfan42