Sign in to follow this  
sachizm

Will a RAM upgrade do anything?

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've done a search but can't see anything on the subject. I have a Samsung i5 laptop with 4gb RAM. I pretty much only use it for simcity. Would upgrading to 8gb RAM do anything? Would it at all help with graphic drop outs where the screen goes black for 30 seconds then comes back with wierd graphic abnormalities, such as all bridges or trees blacked out. Writing this makes me think it sounds like a graphics card issue perhaps? Not sure if I can even update my graphics card but if so would it be worth it?

No matter how big your RAM capacity is....it is clearly a graphic issue....I guess RAM will only help you with a game loading time.

You have enough RAM (SC4 at most uses 2GB being a 32-bit program) but my rule of thumb is 2GB per processor (core) just as insurance that I can run as many process streams as I have processors.

The real solution for you is to use your laptop for what it is intended and do gaming on a desktop.

Would it at all help with graphic drop outs where the screen goes black for 30 seconds then comes back with wierd graphic abnormalities, such as all bridges or trees blacked out.

No. Not at all. What you have there is a Graphics Chip issue.

Update your drivers (Or in the case of nVidia, downgrading them to sometime in 2010 if the latest don't fix the problem is a pretty reliable solution), check to make sure the most recent version of DirectX 9.0 is installed properly and watch your laptop's temperature with a monitoring application or AMD's Catalyst (If you have an AMD/ATI chip of course).

Changing the Graphics Card in a laptop is possible if it's a proper one from nVidia or ATI, but it's never, ever worth the hassle, flat out impossible with an Intel chip, and buying a new laptop is generally cheaper and less trouble.

If you have more than 4GB of RAM and a 64 bit system, I would recommend using this:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Apply the patch directly on SC4's EXE file. It will allow the game to use up to 4GB of dedicated RAM. So lets say you have 6GB of RAM on your system... SC4 can use up to 4 of it while other processes will use the other 2.

I saw a significant improvement to game performance when I installed this patch.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the responses. I will do all the things mentioned.

Simcity does run better on my home desktop but then how could I play it at work?

Thanks for the responses. I will do all the things mentioned.

Simcity does run better on my home desktop but then how could I play it at work?

You should be doing work at work. Computer games in the workplace are a theft of your organization's time and resources. I consider such activity unethical. You might get fired if you get caught.

• Original Poster
  • Not in this case, lots of downtime. I work in a community detention house for underage refugees. Lots of hanging out in the living room, I'm introducing a new generation of Australians to simcity, of course they much prefer playing grand theft auto and the likes on my Ipad. My boss is often sitting next to me.

If playing on a mobile device is critical compared to at a PC, you could try a Remote Desktop program like Splashtop. The Touch Input will be converted into Mouse coordinates by the program. Just remember that you'll be pulling a fair bit of data since almost none of these programs have any inner-network optimisation, they send the feed to a central server first generally.

Have a look here for one that suits your needs if you decide to go that way: http://en.wikipedia....esktop_software

Frame rates won't be spectacular, but it should get that desired touchscreen interface.

Probably the biggest issue would be that if you're on a supplied PC, the Graphics Chip in it will be about as powerful as a plastic potted cactus. Turn the graphics right down and increment them up slowly until you find a decent balance.

Not in this case, lots of downtime. I work in a community detention house for underage refugees. Lots of hanging out in the living room, I'm introducing a new generation of Australians to simcity, of course they much prefer playing grand theft auto and the likes on my Ipad. My boss is often sitting next to me.

I wouldn't call that down time. Sounds like work to me.

Why not put the whole works up on a server and let people play on their own machine? Hope you can get funding for this.

I am not sure teaching immigrants to Oz the American way of building cities is such a good thing, though.

I am not sure teaching immigrants to Oz the American way of building cities is such a good thing, though.

I'm sure that it's better than GTAIII.

No question about that. At least SC4 is not amoral.

GTA Educational Right , that will teach them something , JK I've played it too .

• Original Poster
  • Seems my last reply to this thread did not end up being posted but it was in response to jdenm8's last comment, basically saying I did not understand a word of it. Is it something to do with streaming Simcity from a PC to tablet? Since then however I have done two things that have had an inpact on the graphic drop outs I was experiancing.

1) Updated my Nvidia driver as someone suggested, this did not make things better, just a little different. Instead of most of the black outs, I am getting wierd green black hash patterns

2) Following what someone said on here I realised I have never actually changed the graphics settings inside Simcity itself. I dialed it down a little from the highest settings and..........everything just seems to work. Which is great, but I feel like a bit of a doofus for never thinking of that before.

Infact now I can tab in and out of the program at will without having a graphics melt down, meaning I am saving screen shots in photoshop and can finally do a real CJ!!

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't notice that this thread had received one :)

Seems my last reply to this thread did not end up being posted but it was in response to jdenm8's last comment, basically saying I did not understand a word of it. Is it something to do with streaming Simcity from a PC to tablet?

That's exactly what I was talking about. It'll allow you to use your PC from your Tablet as if you're at your PC (Minus a keyboard) and give you a touchscreen input that may make it more appealing than GTAIII.

Have a look here: http://www.splashtop.com/home

I mention Splashtop because I know for sure that there is an Android client for it. I'm not aware of the quality though, it came preinstalled on my Toshiba laptop and I've never actually used it.

1) Updated my Nvidia driver as someone suggested, this did not make things better, just a little different. Instead of most of the black outs, I am getting wierd green black hash patterns

nVidia graphics cards have a bit of a love-hate relationship with SC4, my laptop, which has a GeForce 630M, runs the game like a dog and I have tons of graphics glitches

Most of my dogs have been fairly swift. Make sure with your nvidia card that you have all the 3D setting marked to allow the loading program to select them. SC4 won't take any of them.