Sign in to follow this  
ConsultingGeek

Suggestions, help and stuff

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm about to get SimCity 4 and was wondering if there were any mods that I absolutely should have. Also if there's other things that improve the game and generally the best things to have I guess. Sorry if this is the wrong board to post this in.

If you browse this forum a bit, you should find several similar threads with topics such as "must-have mods" or "recommended mods". This question is very popular, and it will inevitably lead to hundreds of people rubbing their personal "download hall of fame" collections (which often contradict each other) in your face.

But... do you want to play according to any other person's taste or preference? Or do you want to play according to your taste and preference?

If your choice is the former option, then you'll soon have more suggestions than you can deal with.

If your choice is the latter option, then my answer is always the same:

Play the game first. Without mods.

See what you like. See what you don't like. Get a feeling for what the game enables you to do, and for where the game limits you.

Then go hunting (or asking) for mods that will overcome these limitations and help you to achieve what you want to achieve.

The only musts are the official game patches, the rest is up to you ultimately. There are a zillion different ways to play this game, and as a consequence, there are a zillion mods that may be good for you - or not.

I strongly recommend going for quality ("this is exactly what I need so urgently, and what I find myself using all the time") instead of quantity ("hey, now my menus are cluttered with all the stuff that I may eventually need one day... or maybe not?").

Recommended :

SC4 Update : http://sc4devotion.c...ndex.php?page=7 ... depending on version

BAT Nightlights : http://sc4devotion.c...dex.php?page=14 .... Update 1.1.640.0 ... it will be first one under Recommended Downloads

The update must be installed first, then the BAT nightlights

NAM, Network Addon Mod : http://sc4devotion.c....php?lotGET=851 ... requires registration and login for download

NAM Hotfix : http://sc4devotion.c...php?lotGET=2787 ... requires registration and login for download

You need NAM installed first before you install the hotfix

CAM, Colossus Addon Mod : http://sc4devotion.c...php?lotGET=1008 ... requires registration and login for download

BSC Cleanitol : http://sc4devotion.c...c.php?lotGET=97 ... requires registration and login for download

Cleanitol is a must have program, while it is not a mod it will save you a lot of frustration when installing mods that have redundant or outdated/obsolete dependencies

SC4 Terraformer : http://sc4devotion.c....php?lotGET=731 ... requires registration and login for download

Most maps here on the STEX are in SC4M format that can only be opened and installed with SC4 Terraformer

Building Props 1 & 2 and Day of Peace Mods : http://screwpile.wor...ex/maxis-files/

These are mainly dependencies but will save you from the dreaded brown box on most mods

Gizmo's Dark Nite Mod : http://gizmo.webspac...ods&sa=daynight ... requires registration and login for download

or

SimFox Day Nite Mod : .... located on the STEX

The day/nite mods are up to you and while they are not essential mods some buildings require or will look better w/a dark/nite mod.

As far as graphics are concerned it is a matter of personal choice, there are many mods that can alter the terrain, the water and the rocks, you can even have a snow covered city if you wish.

To address buildings, the choices are limitless. While the STEX has some quality BATters if you want highly detailed building then the LEX is for you. Word of warning, most of the buildings on the LEX almost always have dependencies but they tend to be of higher quality. My personal favorites are SimGoober and Matt325 who are excellent BATters and most of SimGoober's work can be found here on the STEX while most of Matt325's work can be found on the LEX.

If you want to spice up your cities with better vehicles then there are more choices here on the STEX but be warned that some replace the default vehicles in the game so you must be careful when installing them and pay attention to the readme's.

All of this has to be taken with some forethought. For example, you might not want CAM immediately. It is a major mod and changes the way the game plays, as does NAM, and several of the other major mods, like the SPAM, which is missing from the above list.

Any list like this is the personal choice of the writer. If you want to play like him, feel free to take his recommendations. Not everyone plays the same way.

All of this has to be taken with some forethought. For example, you might not want CAM immediately. It is a major mod and changes the way the game plays, as does NAM, and several of the other major mods, like the SPAM, which is missing from the above list.

Any list like this is the personal choice of the writer. If you want to play like him, feel free to take his recommendations. Not everyone plays the same way.

I'm about to get SimCity 4 and was wondering if there were any mods that I absolutely should have. Also if there's other things that improve the game and generally the best things to have I guess. Sorry if this is the wrong board to post this in.

the original poster asked what improves the game NAM fixes pathfinding for traffic and it is almost always recommended. CAM, can operate w/the standard game w/o needing to add CAMpatible lots but saves frustration later when you find a nice mod (building) but needs CAM installed first and it is assumed from the post that the original poster has a clean game w/o mods installed.

please note that the beginning of my post starts with Recommended and not Essential meaning you can use the recommendations or not; it is a matter of choice. SPAM was not included since i have CAMpatible lots that can handle SPAM related tasks (farming demand). those mods were not listed since the original poster stated "and generally the best things to have" and it is not assumed that he wishes to have a purely agricultural based city and as you are aware CAM, NAM and SPAM affects all cities within a region and for all games and it is assumed that the original poster wishes to have ease in terms of mod management (i.e. removing SPAM if wishing to start a pure metropolis)

• Original Poster
  • Sorry for not replying to this sooner, been really busy and haven't even got to play the game yet. I think I'll go with what T Wrecks suggested and just play it w/o mods, then see what I want to improve/add and stuff. I will look at all the mods you other guys linked though.

Hey there! It's a leisure time game, and not designed for hurry. If you need relaxation, just put it in low gear and enjoy the animation while building slowly. This lets out your creative juices without stress.

If you are jammed for leisure time, there is something wrong with your life. Shake your head, and consider how you are living.

@Consulting Geek, at the risk of repeating what several others have said in a more succinct manner, I'll throw in my two-cents:

I won't presume to tell you which mods or custom content you "should" download, because it's all a matter of personal preference and depends on what you want to do with the game. There are purists who play the game strictly out of the box, with no tweaks. That is totally fine, and you should not let anyone tell you otherwise. You should play it according to how YOU want to play it. But it's not a fast-playing game with a time limit or final high score to beat.

Personally, I'm a very artsy type of person and love to create things for personal pleasure. That's my hobby...I like to design stuff. It's who I am...part of my core personality. So I download the content which I find unique, and which will helps me create exactly what I'm wanting. I've been known to rip out whole sections of a city and redo them simply because I may not like where I previously located a highway. Yes, in the process it means Sims will suddenly have to find a different way to work, or a different PLACE to work. But if my vision changes and I decide I want to change the way a city looks, I'll pull out a diagonal road, then destroy everything around it and relocate landmarks, just to achieve it. I don't play SC4 quickly; I take my time with it. There's no goal to meet, or challenge to beat. That's how it is for a lot of us. For many of us, this game is a creative outlet.

So if you're looking for a game that you can just quickly plop this and that here or there, then watch as a mega city rises like a phoenix, you're going to be disappointed. If you just want to build some roads and zones, and put in some utilities/schools/civic buildings, etc...it might quickly get boring. And as I said, if that's what you want to do with the game, that's fine. It's up to you. I'm just saying, in general, that if you want to get the most out of the game, it's going to take the time you find hard to invest. :| And believe me, I understand that. And I respect that.

Probably for the best. The game is a canvas that you can consider raw material for your city building art.

Exactly. Very well put.

I just bought it through steam, can you still use mods?

Yes, of course....especially since buying it through Steam gives you the latest patched version, which is necessary for the mods to work properly.

Take a good look at the structure that Steam installs. It is rather non-standard. If you want to use any command line options you may have to do some hand-springs to find the place to put them.