Sign in to follow this  
fort wayne

A Challenge to all you Mayors out there

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Here is the challenge. I am new with Simcity all together and I am building my first city. All was great until around 75k people. I had strong demand for R$$ and R$$$ and CO$$, CO$$$ and High Tech. ( I taxed out the rest of the demands so they would grow in my neighbor city. ) I couldn't ever bring the demand down and my city just kept growing. So, I thought I would be smart and pause the game and zone a lot of residential R$$ and R$$ and zone a lot of CO$$ and CO$$$.

Then all of a sudden everything built out and my demands for both finally dropped. But then they continued to dip below the line and went negative. I have never been able to correct this situation now. Best I can hope for is that I get a small amount of demand for commercial followed by a small demand of residential. But as soon as I get the demand in goes away, then the cycle repeats itself. My city does not grow any longer its stagnant.

So yes, being new I realize I shouldn't have zoned so much at once. I think this game starts out in harmony with everything in demand in balance. Once you lose that balance all breaks loose and its nearly impossible to turn things around. I am thinking I may need to nuke this town and start over but I am partial to it since its my first undertaking.

So can any mayor out there right this ship so to speak, what should I do? At this moment I have about 26k commercial jobs and 4500 high tech jobs with a population of 71k sims. I will attempt to attach my photos below. It appears I am having trouble so I will pos this then try to add pictures. Any help on how to post pictures? I screen shot them and saved as jpeg on good quality then tried to upload. The photos that you take with the game say they are too large to upload?

• Original Poster
  • Here is the challenge. I am new with Simcity all together and I am building my first city. All was great until around 75k people. I had strong demand for R$$ and R$$$ and CO$$, CO$$$ and High Tech. ( I taxed out the rest of the demands so they would grow in my neighbor city. ) I couldn't ever bring the demand down and my city just kept growing. So, I thought I would be smart and pause the game and zone a lot of residential R$$ and R$$ and zone a lot of CO$$ and CO$$$.

Then all of a sudden everything built out and my demands for both finally dropped. But then they continued to dip below the line and went negative. I have never been able to correct this situation now. Best I can hope for is that I get a small amount of demand for commercial followed by a small demand of residential. But as soon as I get the demand in goes away, then the cycle repeats itself. My city does not grow any longer its stagnant.

So yes, being new I realize I shouldn't have zoned so much at once. I think this game starts out in harmony with everything in demand in balance. Once you lose that balance all breaks loose and its nearly impossible to turn things around. I am thinking I may need to nuke this town and start over but I am partial to it since its my first undertaking.

So can any mayor out there right this ship so to speak, what should I do? At this moment I have about 26k commercial jobs and 4500 high tech jobs with a population of 71k sims. I will attempt to attach my photos below. It appears I am having trouble so I will pos this then try to add pictures. Any help on how to post pictures? I screen shot them and saved as jpeg on good quality then tried to upload. The photos that you take with the game say they are too large to upload?

post-430634-0-01731100-1315595243_thumb.

71k sims and 30k jobs, there is your problem. The workforce constitutes 60%+ of the sim population IIRC, so basically you need more jobs. Once you create the jobs for the already existing residents then residential demand will pick up again.

Okay, now I've seen the picture - My advice would be to bulldoze some of the residential, particularily the R$$$.

Edited by Ion_Cannon  

• Original Poster
  • Well can't upload my photos, any suggestions? It says I reached my quote with the one pic I did upload. How do you past the picture large like I see in other posts?

If my sim population is too large relative to my jobs how can I correct this because there is no demand for commercial as most of my buildings state about half full and all state low customers. Wish I could show the pics to you all.

Instead of attaching the image to a post, use an external image hosting website and link the image from there using the "insert image" button. Try imageshack for example.

The demand simulator can do wierd things, I can't guarentee what I said will work, but its worth a shot, if it doesn't work you don't have to save it.

If you're heavily taxing the R$'s, you're not allowing your workforce to grow, therefore the jobs aren't being taken. A store with 30 CEO's and 1 Cashier will never succeed. Turn the tables, up the R$$$ and drop the R$'s.

Edited by catfriedrice  

• Original Poster
  • My tax rates on medium and high commercial have been around 3.9% all game yet at this time no demand. I do have higher tax rates of about 10.4% on R$ and about 7.5% on R$$. My goal was to have a city of skyscrapers so I drove out low R$ and dirty industrial. I have seen others who have done this so I wonder why its not working for me?

What drives what? Does residential drive commercial and if so what drives residential. My charts indicators are green to the max with the exception of safety, that is about half and environment is down a little. Well educated at around 180. Everything is in place yet no demand for residential.

Demand works like this: Sims need jobs that pay their wealth level. This is provided by either industry, commercial, or civic services (schools, hospitals, etc). Now, for industry, demand is driven by how many sims of a specific EQ range there are. Commercial service is driven by number of sims of a specific wealth level, while commercial office appears to be linked to this as well, but it appears that there are other factors that help drive it as well. Another factor in demand and jobs is that commercial and industry do not produce all of their jobs in the wealth level they seem to represent. High wealth commercial services produce very few high wealth jobs, with the bulk of the provided jobs being for low wealth sims.

This is why balance is important.

• Original Poster
  • Even though I tax out the R$ I still end up with many low wealth residents. And with my sims traveling over to my industrial city for jobs wouldn't the low wealth sims of that town come across to my big city to fill that void?

It's still a mystery to me why I have no demand at all across the board. My tax rates for commercial are below 4%. Someone stated that I need more jobs. My population is 71k, with 27k commercial jobs and around 5k hi tech. But in my industrial city I have 14k low wealth/zoned sims with 21k jobs between low end commercial and industrial. That nets about 6k more jobs that my big city sims can fill.

I don't know, but I can seem to stimulate the industrial demand either. Both cities are negative demand for their intended purpose. It's like I am in a severe recession. I even lowered taxes to help stimulate the economy but its effects were short lived.

In cities where you see that R$$ /R$$$ has taken over R$ that is not normally by the process of taxing out the R$, it is just that R$$ will always have priority over R$ and in turn R$$$ will have priority over R$$. 90% of your jobs - or something like that, should be taken by R$ & R$$ sims. In a lower population city R$$$ will cripple it. What is your breakdown in terms of rich sims, middle class, working class?

• Original Poster
  • In my chart jobs and population the breakdown is as follows.

R$ 18k sims taxed higher to drive demand to my industrial city, I think around 10.2 %

R$$ 43k sims – If I get any demand at all its in this area - taxed around 8.3%

R$$$ 10k sim - taxed around 7.5%

Keep in mind that my neighbor industrial city has about 14k sims and 21k jobs with most all sims R$ as I tax this way so demands shift to my larger city.

My education level in my big city is around 175, my mayor rating is around 80 and the largest age bracket is the 21-30 crowd.

• Original Poster
  • Well I have dropped my tax rate on R$ down to 9.5 and sure enough demand jumped positive and has stayed positive. I then dropped R$$$ down to 6.6 %, I was wrong early in what I had stated as my starting point was at 7%. Dropping the R$$$ did nothing for demand.

Commercial is still flat over all sometimes bouncing positive only to fall negative shortly after.

What has changed is that I increased my population from 71k sims to 77k sims. My new breakdown is as follows.

R$ 22k sims increase of 4k

R$$ 45k sims increase of 2k

R$$$ still 10k sims no real increase

Interesting when I left the city the commercial and industrial jobs look to be the same. Seems I have only increased my population without adding any jobs. That sound right?

I had started a second neighbor city and it was very small about 750 sims. I had decreased taxes on industrial to try and spur demand. I was puzzled because demand dropped negative for both in this city. Frustrating that right off the bat this city had no demand. Well, when I made the changes above on the big city and increased the population I then went back to this new city and there was all kind of demand for industrial. What happened? Are these two events related and if so what turned the industrial demand around?

R$ provides demand for ID/IM generally. What you do in city X will affect ajoining tiles provided there is a road connection, this is why the industrial demand has jumped. You don't need to bother getting anymore R$$$ at your stage anyway, all they will do is abandon and complain. 10k R$$$ is more than enough in a city of 80k. I generally leave taxes at the default 7% and lower them over time, I often tax R$$$ at 15-20% to stop them growing. Provided they are happy though, they won't abandon, meaning they are great for propping up your finances.

• Original Poster
  • But what about the lack of job growth? I added population but no job growth, I still can't prop up commercial and the taxes are at 3.9%. And I don't have much land available to zone for all the R$ demand I now have.

If I grow my industrial cities R$ population will that then hurt my big city? I am under the impression that I need to keep the population to a minimum in my industrial city so the jobs there can be filled by my big city's residents?

It looks like a stock market would help boost commercial and it appears I have met the requirements with 27k commercial jobs and a good mayor rating yet the game will not make this option available to me yet. I don't understand this?

My tip: Download a skyscraper from the STExchange (Like the Bancorp tower), then put it in. Forcing commercial growth may help. It may not work, but that's all I can think of.

Edited by wilsonbiggs  

What taxes did you drop the R$ and R$$ to? It's also worth noting that education has a huge effect on the demand created, and new sims will start with 0, that is why you must let the simulator run. If you're running out of space use higher densitys? I managed to cram 680k sims into a small tile, all the jobs being in other tiles of course.

• Original Poster
  • I have changed my tax rate on the R$ from 10.4% to 9.9%. That is all I needed to do to get demand from negative to strong positive.

I did not change the tax rate on R$$ and its at 9%. I do have some demand here now.

I changed the tax rate on R$$$ from 7% to 6.6% but still negative demand. It might pop up positive but then go right back to negative and then repeat. Appears negative more tho.

I looked at my education level based on age and on the low end, ages 1-10 it is around 150 and by the end, age 81-90, its about 170. Education shows a solid green bar and trending upward.

I had also lowered my CO$$ and CO$$$ tax rates from 3.9% to 3.4% but still no demand to speak of.

You say to zone more density if I am short on space but yet you had me lower my tax rate on R$ thus creating lots of demand that I must zone low density to relieve. What am I am missing here?

Also, should I be doing something with my other cities or tiles as you call them to help things out? Not sure how these neighbors exchange workers and demands I guess.

Thanks for all your help btw.

Ah I see now. Low density does not mean low wealth residential, likewise high density doesn't mean high wealth residential. For each density each wealth level can growm for example a medium density could have a low wealth apartment block and a medium wealth condo or a high wealth luxury condo. Lot wealth is independent of lot density.