Sign in to follow this  
WVJimbo

Scrolling issue.

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hey I'm new to the forums and for a while now, I've had an issue on my one year old Windows 7 laptop that I've never experienced before on my older Windows XP desktop computer. Even though I have the "edge scrolling" option enabled in the in-game option menu, moving my mouse to the edge of the screen doesn't allow me to move the game camera around in the relevant direction (although the arrow keys still enable me to move around, but I'd love to use the mouse if it's still possible).

Game specs:

SimCity 4 version: Deluxe

SimCity 4 updates installed: unknown (I only recently discovered how much downloadable content there was for this game)

Currently using a custom resolution (1366x768)

System specs:

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium with service Pack 1 (64-bit)

RAM - 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)

Processor - AMD Phenom II P920 Quad-Core Processor (1.60 GHz)

Video Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series (256 MB dedicated video RAM)

Total hard drive capacity - 454 GB

Page File: 2357 MB used, 7228 MB available

DirectX version: DirectX 11

So far I've tried using both the laptop trackpad and a wireless USB mouse, but neither of those types of input devices make a difference for my problem.

Welcome to Simtropolis...

...Even though I have the "edge scrolling" option enabled in the in-game option menu, moving my mouse to the edge of the screen doesn't allow me to move the game camera around in the relevant direction...

Are you able to hold down the right mouse button and move around? If so, could you happen to be operating in Window mode - one indication could be that you see the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The edge-scroll doesn't work in that mode.

Regarding updates... You can get them at SC4 Devotion. Click on the EA Support button on the left side of the page. You might check to see if you have an updated game by checking the properties of the SimCity 4.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps folder. If it is 1.1.640 or 1.1.641, you have the most up-to-date version. Anything else is not updated fully.

• Original Poster
  • Are you able to hold down the right mouse button and move around? If so, could you happen to be operating in Window mode - one indication could be that you see the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The edge-scroll doesn't work in that mode.

Yeah, it still lets me hold the right mouse button and scroll around that way.

It always starts up in Windowed mode with the taskbar still appearing at the bottom of the screen, and I'm not sure how to make it start up in full-screen mode on it's own. It's not really a problem since I can get around this by bringing up the task manager, right-clicking the SimCity 4 application, and then clicking "maximize." Apparently right-clicking my desktop shortcut, clicking properties, and setting it to run in maximized mode doesn't help either, but that specific bug isn't a huge problem for me.

Either way, maximized or windowed, I'm still having the same issue with edge scrolling not being present.

Regarding updates... You can get them at SC4 Devotion. Click on the EA Support button on the left side of the page. You might check to see if you have an updated game by checking the properties of the SimCity 4.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps folder. If it is 1.1.640 or 1.1.641, you have the most up-to-date version. Anything else is not updated fully.

Okay thanks, I'm not currently running the most updated version but I'll deal with that later (unless you think doing so right now may help).

Edited by WVJimbo  

It always starts up in Windowed mode with the taskbar still appearing at the bottom of the screen, and I'm not sure how to make it start up in full-screen mode on it's own. It's not really a problem since I can get around this by bringing up the task manager, right-clicking the SimCity 4 application, and then clicking "maximize." Apparently right-clicking my desktop shortcut, clicking properties, and setting it to run in maximized mode doesn't help either, but that specific bug isn't a huge problem for me.

You're close. If you right-click on the shortcut and go to Properties, you'll see a window with a "Target" line. Simply add "-f" (no quotations) at the end with a space after the last thing on the line (and delete a "-w" if there is one). This will change the game to full screen and you shouldn't have to mess with the maximize thing any more. The target line should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -f

Okay thanks, I'm not currently running the most updated version but I'll deal with that later (unless you think doing so right now may help).

Not having the updates shouldn't affect the scroll issue. But some items that you might download from the various sites might not function correctly without the updates.

• Original Poster
  • I meant to reply to you earlier, but adding "-f" to the end of the target box did fix my scrolling problem. Thank you very much!