Sign in to follow this  
grady_mrd

Does anyone recognize this? !I

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I recently bought Simcity Deluxe again when I found it on sale on Steam. I started downloading mods and stuff right away because that's what made the game fun for me a while back but somewhere in the process I ended up with some industrial buildings that have a lot of boxes. I think they all came in a pack. I hope its just a missing plugin because when you buy Simcity from Steam EA doesn't give you a code to allow you to download things from EA.com....

post-536485-12985112803439_thumb.jpg

My understanding is the Steam version comes with all updates, so you shouldn't need anything from EA. The brown boxes mean you are missing a model for the building used on the lot. You need to check for the dependencies required by the lot in question. These 'dependencies' are other files needed by the lot to function or appear as intended, and are usually listed in the download instructions or a Readme files. If the lot in question came in a pack, and you don't know which one, you might query (?) the lot for a name and post it here. Perhaps someone will recognize it.

There are many descriptions of how to search your plugins for the offending lot by using a binary search.  If you have less than 1,000 plugins, the search will take less than 10 tries.  While you are at it, this is a good time to organize your plugins, and decide which ones you really need as opposed to the ones that are "neat, maybe I can use that sometime".  They will always be on the STEX if your want turns into a need.

You have one advantage in the search.  You only need to look at industrial lots.

• Original Poster
  • I have right around 1100. Is there a program that searches for the missing files or do I just remove some and see if the file happened to be in that part? !I

With 1100 plugins, all of which are suspected, you should not have to do more than 10 tests.  I would get on with it.

First, move your entire plugins structure to someplace else.  Desktop is probably as good as any.  Then with the empty plugins folder, start the game, create a Sandbox region, enter it, and test.  Create some Industrial, and see if the problem occurs.  If not, then your game is intact.

At this point, you can probably put back some known to be quality assured plugins like the NAM and all its friends.  This will narrow the search.  Having done that, test the game again.  All should be still OK.  If not, PM me with a list of your plugins.

Now, having gotten the easy part out of the way, you take the remaining folder(s) of plugins and divide them in two parts.  Do this with some thought, being careful to keep packages together but making about an equal split.

Choose one half, and put it back in your plugins.  Test the game in the Sandbox again, and if the problem occurs, remove the set you just put in, put in the other set and test again.  You should now be problem free, but if not, there is trouble in both halves, and this is going to take longer.  If the first set was problem free, the problem is in the second set, so leave the first set in the plugins folder, divide the second set, and keep going.  Within 10 tries you should have a folder containing only one plugin that is the problem.  You now can investigate that plugin.

And no, there is no program to do this.  It is a simple manual task, and you get to do it your own self.  It is good training on why you should test each and every new plugin.

grady_mrd

I think the building(s) you are referring to comes from Diamond's industrial manufacturers small lots (I-M) : http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=23504

Do you have the dependencies? They are linked at the bottom of the above page or you can copy and paste the following:

Buildings as Props by Maxis : http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=305

BSC Mega Prop Pack jestarr : http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=58

Hope this helps 4.gif