Sign in to follow this  
dmplant

Can't find an Image Editing Program to convert my files to 16 bit greyscale. Help?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've searched and found several image editing programs trying to find one that will convert my picture so I can import it into the Terraformer. Are there any editions of Photoshop or other program that I can use to convert my files into a 16 bit grayscale PNG for the Terraformer?

• Original Poster
  • Yeah but when i try anything other than a 16-bit the elevation gets messed up and everything comes out under water. I've taken grayscale maps from maps off the STEX that were 16-bit and they were fine. maybe I'm doing something else wrong?

If you feel that you need a converter, you could use GIMP. It's free to use and has most of the features that Photoshop has. It can also open and save a variety of formats. It can be found at www.gimp.org.

• Original Poster
  • I tried the GIMP but it doesn't have an option to save as a 16-bit grayscale PNG. I've tried a variety of programs and converters but none can save it as a 16-bit. I've tried to import a bunch of different images with different Bit depths (8, 24, 32, and 48) but the only one that doesn't render all blocky and underwater is a 16-bit image I got off the STEX.

Try saving your map as a 256 step jpg (8-bit).  PNGs are highly over rated.  The regular in-game renerer prefers the longer scale and jpg files.

Originally posted by: dmplant

Yeah but when i try anything other than a 16-bit the elevation gets messed up and everything comes out under water. I've taken grayscale maps from maps off the STEX that were 16-bit and they were fine. maybe I'm doing something else wrong?

quote>

Elevations, grades and sea level may require or be affected by the so called "Height Mods". Read your map's description or readme and check if it requires some specific height mod. When you create the region, SC4M/TF will ask you for the height mod. Make sure that you enter the correct value there. For a region created with SC4M/TF normally you don't need to have the height mod, but in some rare cases you may need it (if it changes the sea level too). Also check if you have accidentaly installed an (unneeded) height mod.

But if all you want is just import a grayscale map, then why use SC4M/TF and not simply import the region the classic way? In such a case you will need to install the correct height mod, if needed, or uninstall all height mods otherwise.

Beware, the various "Terrain Mods" (Columbus, Italia, Meadowshire etc) typically contain a modded version of the "Terrain Properties" exemplar, which means that they conflict with the Height Mods. The Height Mod must be loaded after the Terrain Mod, to take effect. Most mapmakers don't mention this in their documentation. Check the readme in any of my maps on the STEX, to see how these should be installed.