Sign in to follow this  
rainman#9

SC4 Deluxe on 1201n

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all. I've installed SC4 Deluxe on my 1201n (Windows 7, nvidia ION, 3GB RAM, atom 330 dual core): no errors, no crashes, but a lag that make the game unplayable...

I've tried a lot of solutions, but i have not solved the broblem...

My commands on link are:  -CustomResolution:enabled -r1366x768x32 -f -intro43.gifff -EH43.gifff -CPUP -CPUCount:1

I've also tried to:

- Patch from EA.com;

- Enable software rendering;

- set the ION config at max compatibility;

- Disable shadows;

- Activate XP mode;

- Disable Hyperthreading.

I'm desperate, i love this game!!

Please help me!!

I think you've overdone it, perhaps.  Set your graphics options to 'application selected" or equivalent.  The game doesn't understand newer graphic features, not even anti-aliasing, so they just interfere.  Turn hardware rendering back on.

I run with a dual processor, and I did a test on setting affinity to one CPU, and it made no difference, so you might want to discontinue that.  There is a problem in that my graphics system wants to run the game in HD, so I have to use a virtual desktop that runs in VGA to force it.

I assume you have both patches from the EA site.

I shouldn't think that hyperthreading would be a problem, but you should make a test.

Here is my command line, for your information.  My system is an Athlon II X2 with an ATI fusion 3000 GPU 4GB RAM

C:\\PROG\~FBU\\Maxis\\SIMC\~ZMW\\Apps\\SimCity\ 4.exe -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1280x940 -f

(In order to avoid processing colons as emoticons, check the box that says Do not parse emoticons

If you have a lot of plugins, you might want to investigate the size of your swap file (virtual memory).  My file is 10 GB.

The other cause for lag could be background tasks.  Whose anti-virus are you rujnning?

I run with a dual processor, and I did a test on setting affinity to one CPU, and it made no difference, so you might want to discontinue that.quote>

Actually it does make a difference. And it's widely known that on dual processors, the game runs with a much lower risk of crashing to desktop while running on one processor. I do it myself and I have in fact witnessed the difference.

@rainman: I also agree maybe you're overdoing it. I would suggest changing the affinity to one processor. (ctrl+alt+delete/open task manager/click on processes/right click on simcity4 and choose affinity)

Also make sure you're not running other programs at the same time. That could be bogging your computer down. With the Affinity set, and simcity the only thing running, then maybe itll solve your lagging issue. If not, play around with the game graphics settings.

• Original Poster
  •  Thanks for suggestions!  So:

- I have installed only one patch! Is there another update from EA for Deluxe? Can you link me the webpage of both update? Thanks 4.gif

-No plugin installed...

-I use AVG antivirus 2011 free

-I have enabled hardware mode, in software mode worsened the situation...

I will cut some part of my commands... 4.gif

I've also tried to run the game on XP with vmware, but performance may be lower...

Originally posted by: rainman#9

Thanks for suggestions!  So:

- I have installed only one patch! Is there another update from EA for Deluxe? Can you link me the webpage of both update? Thanks

-No plugin installed...

-I use AVG antivirus 2011 free

-I have enabled hardware mode, in software mode worsened the situation...

I will cut some part of my commands...

I've also tried to run the game on XP with vmware, but performance may be lower...
    quote>

Try disabling the antivirus while playing the game.

I am with the Moose, I run the game on Intel dual, and quad core without disabling any of the cores, and I have CTD only on rare ocasions.

'T would appear that blaming crashes on multiple cores is a fad.  Both Tungston and I have run serious tests on this.  I think Tungston is on Windows and I am on Linux, so it makes an interesting sample.  If you are having problems running with multi-processors, you should find some way of checking on what really happens.

I have a system monitor and my X11 interface allows me to run as many desktops as I like.  I run four, and during my tests I ran my system monitor in Desk 2 while running SC4 in Desk 1.  At times I ran other things in Desk 3.  Switching desktops does not affect the programs running in the others, they don't seem to notice unless that actually need input from the keyboard or mouse, in which case you often get a popup on your current desk.

When running only SC4 and Sysmon, my CPUs go to about 70% (both of them).  Sysmon takes about 10%, so the rest is background daemons and the game.  The background seems to be around 20% or less with most of the processes ineligible for a processor in one of several wait states.  This includes CLAMAVD, my anti-virus daemon and my mail-notification daemon along with other background things that keep a Linux system integral.

I think I have caught the dispatcher switching between the two cores for the game.  I am pretty sure that both are not in the page space of the game at the same time.  If this happened, I think the operating system would crash.  A single process, not programmed for separate multiple threads cannot use more than one processor at a time because the scheduler doesn't see more than one process.  Of course the separate safety demon protecting EA's copyright is a separate process, but it doesn't run after the game start.  It just lays there asleep until it gets the kill signal from the game.