Sign in to follow this  
beyurslf

My first CJ--Platouenia

45 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have finally decided to make a City Journal. The city is just starting off so I thought it would be a good one to begin with.

Here is the shot of the city as you enter it.

Postcardview.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Ok so maybe you want a couple of other shots? Sorry about that. Got post-happy.

Here is the bird's eye view.

Birdseye.jpg

Here are the local parks.

Parks.jpg

A new office park went in recently.

Officepark.jpg

The overhead view.

Overhead.jpg

The housing district for middle class families.

MiddleClass.jpg

And the view from the hill.

CityfromtheHill.jpg

[800x600 max image size - GlobexCo]

Good start, I hope this city will grow fine. You can edit your first post, and thereby change the name of your CJ. If you need any more help you can send Jesse Swiss or me a PM. Enjoy your stay at Simtropolis! 4.gif

• Original Poster
  • A couple of updates.

The city's first elits have moved in, creating a new wealthy subdivision that is quite exclusive.

Newsatwithexpressway.jpg

Firstelitesarrive.jpg

On the other side of town, construction has been completed on the underground expressways that will take traffic under the future CBD core of the city.

Eliteneighborhood.jpg

The old middle and working class neighborhoods are filling up, and people continue to move into the city. Soon, it will be time to expand up the hills.

• Original Poster
  • One more update for the day. (Can you tell I am off work and my kids are all out of town but one?)

The city is up to 85,000 residents and the first high rise has been built. Executives, who concentrate on work and have little need for expensive yards and pools, demanded luxury condo-living, and they got it. The communtiy is still sprouting around them so more jigh end retail will soon be there.

Firsthighrise.jpg

The east side expansion clear to the cliffs (future home of Clifton Heights) is nearly complete, as seen here.

Easternexpansion.jpg

From atop the cliffs, we see the bridge connecting the lower east side to the cliff.

Atopthecliff.jpg

The view of the city from the bridge headed down.

BridgeHilllookingdown.jpg

The city night sky.

nightlights.jpg

Transportation map.

roadmap.jpg

The tunnels under CBD are there in the bottom middle. The expressway that travels up the back of the cliff will loop around the top of the cliff and head down the back. Under consideration by the town leaders is a possible bridge across the CBD to connect the two cliffs. Cost and traffic flow will be considered before making a final decision about this proposal.

Great job out there, your skills are improving by the day! One thing, is that you should move the panoramic restaurant to a more densily populated location. It doesn't fit in the suburb feel you got there. Hope this tip helped.

Good luck with the journal.

• Original Poster
  • Damastius and Denon: I agree with your point about the restaurant. My intent was to create a place where they could see up on the cliff but it does stick out. I think I will move it to the edge of Clifton Heights where it can over look downtown later. Thanks!

• Original Poster
  • It has been a little while since my last update. I wish I could say the city has grown by leaps and bounds, but alas, it is just a small update. Hopefully this weekend, I will have some time to expandthe city more fully up the cliffs. For now, here is the new stuff. The city now boasts nearly 200,000 residents!

Transportation Map is below. Anyone have suggestions why I keep getting the "Traffic totally blocked" message? I have may two tiny stretches that are red and a few small spots that are orange. I haven't started the bus lines yet and would like to hold off until the sity adds another 100k or so.

TransMap.jpg

Newest sky photo:

Viewfromsky.jpg

View headed into town:

Headedintotown.jpg

The Executive High Rise was a huge success and others were built nearby as the downtown began to build up.

ExecHiRisewithOfficeinback.jpg

NewDowntown.jpg

The middle class begins to expand up the sides of the cliff as they seek homes with better views of the city.

MiddleClassexpandsupthehills.jpg

Future site of the proposed Cross Cliffs Bridge

BridgeSite.jpg

Good job, the map has a nice topography for the city. You should just ignore those 'traffic is totally blocked' messages, the game likes to 'overreact' a little, so to say 2.gif

• Original Poster
  • The city has grown a great deal since the last update and now has over half a million residents!

Arieal4.jpg

Panaromic41.jpg

The city management is working diligently to keep traffic under control as the city expands. The poor and even middle class want mass trnasit services--as long as they don't have to increase their taxes for them. The upper and elite classes see no reason for busses when people still have feet to walk on.

Transport4.jpg

A new 8 lane connection is made on one side of the CBD.

8laneconnect41.jpg

The other side of the CBD has seen growth in medium and high density residences. Two 8 lane connections, one in each direction, have been added to ease congestion.

8laneconnect42.jpg

The CBD now boasts its first Mega Structure!

CBDmega4.jpg

A new middle class suburb popped up seemingly overnight.

Panaromic42.jpg

New  residential area for executives.

Newhighdensecliff42.jpg

High tech office park with the CBD in the background.

Newhighdensecliff42.jpg

The original plans for the Cross Cliffs Bridge are being scrapped by developers because demand for CBD office space is far outpacing residential demand on the Cliff Edges.

• Original Poster
  • Yes a metro network is coming. I just have not wanted to sit down and do it because I have not really done them before in the game. They seem a little more complicated that SC4 so I have been slow about it.

• Original Poster
  • The mass transit efforts have begun. Three small bus lines have started in one of the larger poor neighborhoods. The lines service this community and link to the industrial zones near the city's edges.

cxl_screenshot_platouenia_0.jpg

cxl_screenshot_platouenia_1.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the encouragement!!

Southern expansion up the cliff and toward the CBD is the next phase of development. This will mostly be low density until the edge of the cliffs at the CBD. Prior to this though, I want to expand the metro network for the rest of the poor and then middle class neighborhoods. Otherwise, I am afraid the traffic toward the CBD will be unbearable.

Could you post some info about your population, satisfaction and income please? Maybe I can help you further. Thanks

Could you post some info about your population, satisfaction and income please? Maybe I can help you further. Thanks

• Original Poster
  • Yes. I will try to get in and do those screen shots of the satisfaction that I see people post.

Here is some basinc info though: I had kep everyone over 80% until this afternoon. My skilled workers keeping dropping into the 70s.

The expansion across the cliffs to the south went into full swing, with several new developments springing up. The wealthy have begun funding a MegaStructure called "The Redeemer." Phase Two should begin as soon as the resources are gathered for it.

The bus lines were finished for the poor working class folks but the middle class routes have not yet been implemented. The routes have about 35-65% use rates right now and the cost is about 38,000.

The city has over 800,000 residents.

• Original Poster
  • The city has grown by huge numbers as the cliffs to the couth were opened for full developement finally. The city now has 862,000 residents and plans for development that will easily push it over the 1 million mark soon. The city managers know that handling the added traffic flow down all sides of the cliff expansion will be a major challenge.

As such, the bus lines have grown to include most of the middle class neighborhoods. A few have been left out that expanded into areas that are mostly unsettled. (I tried to take pics showing the bus lines, but they didn't show up. I will post them here and maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong. I took one in the daytime and one with it dark but neither show the lines.)

Busnight5.jpg

Bus5.jpg

Satisfaction is high among all groups. Skilled workers show the lowest at 79% satisified. Elites are at 80% and executives have 83%. The unskilled class is the highest at 85% satisified. Here is the overall satisfaction photo:

Satisfaction5.jpg

Here is the future site of the Redeemer statue. Building is currently in Phase 2.

TheRedeemersite.jpg

The expansion of the city came rapidly up the southern cliff. Here are a couple of shots of the newest neighborhoods.

Suburbslookingsouth.jpg

Cliffsuburbs.jpg

The city from above:

Skyview5.jpg

The area up to and around the Redeemer statue will be Executive and elite housing. All the areas around this will be middle class neighborhoods. A planned development of medium density middle class living will be going up soon near where the expressway meets the dual one-way-six-lane roads. Beyond the edge of the pictue above, a new industrial park is beginning to form and working class housing has started to spring up nearby.

The housing near the edge of the cliffs where the CBD is located will be filled executive and elite housing that is a mix of medium and high density.

The CBD will soon fill the causeway between the cliffs and spill out to the south and gradually move up the sides of the cliffs.

• Original Poster
  • Here is a screen shot of the wealth (neighborhood breakdown by unskilled, skilled, executive, elite).

Wealth.jpg

And here is a shot of employment satisifaction and unemployed.

Employed.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Well readers (or reader as the case may be), Platouenia has experienced some major changes since the last update at 860,000 residents. I will try to provide a little history since I realize I have told you very little about this city as it has grown up. 

About 20 years ago, Platouenians elected a pro-growth mayor who promised to stop the bleeding coffers of the city. The cit y had run negative budgets for nearly four decades thanks to low taxes, high quality services, and mass transit freely available to all. What started as modest budegts soon ballooned. On the day of the election, the city bus budget peaked at 100,000!

The new mayor set right to work, slashing the bus budgets. He elminated under performing lines and shrunk systems to mini lines where ridership was low. Taxes went up--across the board--to close the gap. As promised, he did not slash goverment spending on health, education, or safety. These remained with stratispherically high approvals.

The mayor's next step was to push growth. He did this several ways. He sommissioned the building of a Great Work, The Redeemer, and had it set square in the center of growth atop the cliff. The work took a great deal of resources and time. While it built, the mayor oversaw the exansion of the CBD out of the causeway and into the old flood plains. Several new Hi Tech districts were opened and a new industrial park srpung open at the southern border of the city. As these new work places opened, demand grew and grew for living quarters. The completion of The Redeemer set in motion a housing bubble unlike anything the region had seen before.

Builders could not build fast enough. Concrete coudln't dry fast enough. As soon as a road was completed, it was clogged with traffic. neighborhoods filled up before the building crews could even get off the streets. Critics said this bubble would lead to a meltdown. Critics said the traffic grid would not be able to handle the influx of people. But critics just like to complain.

The city now boasts 1.7 million residents! Working class poor give the city a 73% approval rating, mostly due to high food prices and few housing options. The middle class is soldily behind the city with a 78% approval rating. Executives and the Elite cannot stop talking about this great city, giving approval ratings of 83% and 86% respectively. The city also now has profit of 150,000, more than enough to begin an advanced mass transit system which can be used to help with traffic concerns brought on by the doubling of the population.

Here are some photos of the expansions.

Overhead view of the city today:

6Overhead.jpg

6Arieal.jpg

Transportation map:

6Trans.jpg

The expansion of the CBD meets the Executive Housing Bubble:

6CBDmeetsExec.jpg

Opera House:

6Opera.jpg

The Redeemer:

6Redeemer.jpg

Expansion opportunities still are plentiful in this growing metropolis. A large football stadium for the working crowd is planned here on the edge of the cliff's rise.

6FutureFootballstadium.jpg

A new city hall will be built at the crossway of the expressway and the new single direction eight lane roadways that take the new population down to the CBD.

6Futurecityhall.jpg

And here one sees where the CBD will expand toward the opposing cliffs.

6Expansionopportunity.jpg

Here are other shots of the growth of the city:

6ExecHiRise.jpg

6Cityshot.jpg