Sign in to follow this  
Easy Bakes

How not to get into Harvard

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

What web of lies this guy strung together.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/17/student-conned-harvard-sorry

He also won the $4,000 Hoopes Prize, $2,000 Sargent Prize and an $8,000 Rockefeller research grant, all through plagiarismquote>

^^

You would think the people who review what you did to get their prizes would have caught it.

is the kid a genius for getting away with it for so long, or does this story just show that no one checks peoples credentials any more?

The amount of effort it takes to put forward that kind of plagarism is harder than doing assignments. Most of the students who I have seen get busted for plagarism are the ones who genuinely don't care about school and are frequently pushed to academics by their parents.

Things I liked about the story: he is not allowed to profit from his story.

One of the commenters said he should be in politics I think he would be better suited to espionage but he'll never get that kind of security clearance.

I'm impressed but I am still laughing.

This is clearly a horse on Harvard.  (Couldn't resist the alliteration).

When I was teaching, plagiarism was rife, and the school paid for a computer program to search and compare papers on the Internet.  As a professor, I had discretion over the micreants to a certain degree.  On a first offense, a zero on the course.  A second offense was fatal to the career of the offender, because it caused a hearing before the dean in which the circumstances of the first offense were admissable.  We avoided legal proceedings where possible, and usually simply expelled the student, but if necessary, we would go public with it.  All of this is laid out in the calendar, so students can't say they were not warned.