Sign in to follow this  
hittwice99

hittwice99's Lot Thread

1. 1. Which is your favourite lot / project?

• Maximum Security Prison
    • Cricket Stadium
    • Bionic Fusion Power Plant - V2
    • Civil Defence Tracking Station - V2
    • Industrial Lot Project (all packs)
    • Incinerator
    • Water Tower Variety Pack

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

lotthreadbanner.png

Hello everyone!

I've decided it is time for me to open a lot thread, as I have some plans of projects to work on.

I believe it is a good idea and will help my lotting skills develop further. I am looking forward to see what you think of my work and then I can make any necessary changes before I upload.

In this thread I will keep you updated on how my projects are progressing. I will take into consideration all posts that you write, but please be specific.

Watch this space...

mylots.png

1. Bionic Fusion Power Plant - 23/10/2009 (superseded)

2. Civil Defence Tracking Station - 19/11/2009 (superseded)

3. Maximum Security Prison - 19/2/2010

4. Cricket Stadium - 5/4/2010

5. Bionic Fusion Power Plant - V2 - 31/5/2010

6. Civil Defence Tracking Station - V2 - 7/6/2010

7. Industrial Lot Project - ID Pack 1 - 8/6/2010

8. Incinerator - 9/6/2010

9. Industrial Lot Project - ID Pack 2 - 20/6/2010

10. Water Tower Variety Pack - 21/7/2010

11. Industrial Lot Project - ID Pack 3 - 6/9/2010

12. Industrial Lot Project - IM Pack 1 - 25/12/2010

Edited by hittwice99  

• Original Poster
  • Project under Development: Maximum Security Prison

Hello everyone!

I have now started a project on creating a new jail lot for Sim City 4. When I first played Sim City 4, the jails really bothered me. They were too small, and there were no walls or fences to keep the prisoners in! So I decided it would be of benefit to see some more added realism to the game by improving this.
    I aim to redevelop the original lot, by expanding it and adding numerous new props etc.

When my lot is up to a reasonable standard, I will post pictures here on this thread.
    I will hope to show the first pictures by tomorrow. So in the meantime, I better get back to work!

Thanks for reading

Well, sounds like you know what you're going for and have a realistic concept. That's always good.

You may want to browse the STEX for high-security prisons (I bet they have been done) to get some inspiration and to see where other lot makers missed something. This way, you can copy ideas from the lots you like, and avoid weaknesses you see in other lots. Good luck!

• Original Poster
  • Maximum Security Prison - Small Adjustments

I am currently making small adjustments to the MSP. Once this is done, I will test it so it works. I will be looking to upload in the next few days if all goes to plan. So if you have any suggestions, now is the best time to tell me so I can make any changes. Also, I have found the car park textures on the STEX and I can now make them a dependency. Thanks anyway Nathan.

*sniff*

What a contrast to much of the stuff that's been uploaded recently! Finally someone clearly put a good amount of thought and work into a lot. It looks realistic, it's well arranged and logically structured, everything is in its place, and the overall result is absolutely convincing. To top it off, there are even some beautiful details like those dog kennels, the helipad, the vegtable patch, and - best of all - the truck delivering more rocks to be bashed. 17.gif Excellent! Bravo!

Now for some tiny suggestions:

1) If you look closely, the road textures you used don't always align properly. I know that problem, it cannot be eliminated altogether. A workaround would be to switch to those grey driveways that are as wide as Maxis streets. You could transit-enable the entrances for streets, too, so everything would align seamlessly. Otherwise, you'd have to resort to using yet another dependency - I think there's a pack somewhere that contains the Maxis road textures as overlays. You know how to flip textures and to stack overlay textures, don't you?

2) Did you place all cars manually? Remember that you can use prop families to randomize the cars that are displayed. Prop family #0000000f is for cars that appear during nighttime (intended for residential lots), whereas family #0000003d is for cars that appear during the day (intended for all lots where people work during daytime and drive home in the evening). They will look all the same when placed in the LE, but if you highlight the prop family and hit "n", the LE will cycle through all props it contains. This is precisely what the game does when displaying such prop families, so your parking lots will look differently occupied each time the lot is plopped. What's more, the cars will appear and disappear as the day progresses. If there's an individual parking slot to be occupied, you can resort to prop family #00000038.

3) Don't plant trees directly on concrete, use the "dirtcircle" prop. It's a Maxis standard prop.

4) You could add some more detail and variation to that green patch towards the front using the prop families #0000004a, #0000004b, and #0000004c for small bushes, shrubs and plants. Just scatter some around as you like.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the comments T Wrecks, it is much appreciated. I will attempt to make these changes you have suggested. The only problem I have is with the roads. I never liked how they aligned and I would like a way to get around the problem. I have had a search around the STEX and I can't find the Maxis road textures although I may have come across it previously. What should I do with the roads, as it is a small but irritating problem.

Thank you.

• Original Poster
  • Maximum Security Prison - Now Available

The Maximum Security Prison is now available on the STEX!
    I hope you like it, please rate and comment! 2.gif

Click here

• Original Poster
  • Maximum Security Prison - Update - Tennis Court Removed

Here are the updated pictures of the Maximum Security Prison.

Changes: The tennis court has been removed because of complaints and the fact that it looked out of place. I agree that a prison is not the right place for a tennis court after all; it is a prison, not a sports centre!

maingx.jpg

gateyd.jpg

sidenight.jpg

newpicture1.jpg

backsb.jpg

I hope this improves the MSP

• Original Poster
  • Thank you. I am hoping to make a cricket stadium or an industrial themed lot in the near future, but nothing is finalized yet. I am open to any requests or recommendations that anyone may have.

One thing that I've been tinkering around with was inspired by Todd's recently released W2W industrial BATs. I like the concept of W2W industrial.

In SimCity, players mostly tend to place industrial zones out in the boonies, where their pollution won't affect anyone. However, in most real-world cities you will find some industrial facilties right inside the city, surrounded by residential zones. Recreating this in SimCity is not only a step towards realism, but it also helps to reduce commute times. The problem is that there are awfully few industrial W2W BATs available, especially not as dirty industry.

I've played around with jestarr's prop packs and found out that some models could be used to make W2W lots - does that sound interesting to you? Imagine a block with rows of W2W buildings, and the backyard of a W2W factory in the middle...

I was thinking of doing the same thing, I just haven't studied how well each building fits onto the lot. Just tack that on my growing to-do list 3.gif

In reality, cities were built (residents flocking to the area) because of the the industrial jobs (lord knows the services industry wasn't what it is today). Sure offices and banks and the multitude of small businesses (mom and pop shops) formed the core of the city, but the bulk of the jobs were in the factories, big or small. They were, like T-wrecks said, integrated directly into the grid of the city and, more often than not, only a few blocks from downtown! Even if you (or I, or anyone for that matter) don't want to make the buildings industrial, many old factories and warehouses are turned into lofts, sometimes rather high end ones due to the aforementioned proximity to downtown.

It looks like you have some potential in LE, certainly better then I am at the moment 3.gif Best of luck to you,

-Todd

• Original Poster
  • Thanks guys, I know what you mean. It would be great to make a pack of industrial W2W lots. One of the most annoying things about SC4 is the limitations of where you can build industry. You are forced to build the industrial areas on the edge of the city to avoid polluting your residential areas. Then commute times become an issue. You are right; this is not very realistic or lifelike. I will have a look at jestarr's prop packs and I may get around to making an industrial W2W lot project. I am quite busy at the moment so I will not be able to work on lotting until next week or so.

Thanks again 2.gif

I wanted to drop by and give you some props, hittwice99. This is definitely a good start. You can tell you didn't want to put out something "slapped together." Your attention to detail is evident. I also admire how you take feedback. Good stuff!! I hope to see more of your work on the STEX.

• Original Poster
  • Project - Commencement

I have not been able to do any lotting work recently because I have been very busy with assignment work. However, I am looking to start a lotting project within the next week. I will try and complete this project before I go on holiday on the 6th of April, for a 10 day break.

I am planning to make a cricket stadium lot using custom props and textures. I am a big fan of cricket and there hasn’t been many cricket stadiums made for SC4. So I thought I'd make one!  I am hoping to make the cricket pitch textures myself and I have already found some cricket props. It would be great to use some custom made stands (seating) but I will have to resort to the maxis stadium stands if I cannot find any suitable ones. If you have any suggestions / recommendations, I would love to hear them.

• Original Poster
  • Cricket Stadium - First Pictures & Information

I am currently constructing my Cricket Stadium and it is about 50% completed. So now it is starting to look like a cricket stadium, I have decided to release some pictures.

Please note that there are still many details I have yet to add to it!

cgprototype1front.png

cgprototype1back.png

cgprototype1players.png

Well, as you can see, the area covered by the stadium is quite large (17 x 19). I have tried to make the size of the pitch a realistic scale. The main custom content used is the stadium stands, the players / umpires / stumps, and the wicket and pitch textures. As always, I have took note of the dependencies and found the links to them.

I think the stadium stands give some variety instead of the maxis ones. I am not too sure of the colour, but the size and model is good. The only major issue, is there are no spectators in the seats (imagine it is a boring game!). The cricket players etc. are part of NUTs Prop Pack A by diggis. They are a great find because they make it very authentic. If you understand cricket at all, you will notice that I have arranged the players in correct positions. There are 11 fielders, but you can only see 10 because the other one is off screen. The textures are from BSC Textures Vol 2. The wicket looks great (especially for bowling on!). The building for the pavilion is originally part of the Maxis University and gives some character to the stadium (has similarities to Lords Cricket Ground). The other building is a maxis commercial that resembles a media centre. There is a scaffold used at either end for TV cameras to use like this.

As I said, it is about half complete and I have many details to add before uploading. This will include a ground keeper's area, a front garden and entry gates to the corners. I hope you like it so far and, I am welcome to hear any recommendations or comments.

So that's all for now. I better get back to work! 2.gif

• Original Poster
  • Cricket Stadium - Now Available

The Cricket Stadium is now available on the STEX!
    I hope you like it, please rate and comment! 2.gif

Click here

• Original Poster
  • Project Commencement - Industrial Lot Project

After a long wait, I can finally announce a new lotting project! 37.gif

In this project I aim to create a set of about 4 industrial lots. These lots will be a small to medium size and will feature both ID and IM types (possibility HT). Again, I will try to minimize the Maxis buildings to create more variety in the game. I will make all of the lots growable, but if anyone wants, I could make a ploppable version also.

Currently, I am experimenting with different prop packs to find buildings that are suitable for the project. Hopefully by this time next week I should have some first pictures to show.

Until then...

Edited by hittwice99  

Sounds good hittwice99 - I liked the cricket stadium so I'm hopeful you'll be able to produce something just as good or even better for this project 4.gif

Can't wait to see some pics but it sounds promosing. Good luck. Findng good props is half the fun 2.gif

Richard

• Original Poster
  • Industrial Lot Project - First Pictures

After a delay in the project I can now present some first pictures of the first lot in my industrial lot pack! 1.gif The first one is a fuel storage tank that I have lotted, modded and tested for in game functionality. It grows and functions well as intended. Here are the stats for it:

Stats:

Occupant type: ID

Lot Size: 2X2

Jobs: 20

Growth stage: 2

Bulldoze Cost: 90

Wealth: Medium

Pollution at centre: Air: 4 | Water: 8 | Garbage: 0 | Radiation: 0

Pollution radii: Air: 8 | Water: 12 | Garbage: 0 | Radiation: 0

Flammability: 90

Max Fire stage: 4

Power Consumed 15

Water Consumed 3

Pictures:

fuelstoragefront.png

Front - day

fuelstoragebacknight.png

Back - night

- I have added security fences (with gates) around the outside and also 2 street lights to allow for any work at night.

- The tank is part of a prop set (not created by me) which I found would be suitable for this project.

- I have already researched and collected the prop packs I think would wok well. Because this is going to be a pack of at least 4 (maybe 6-8) lots, it will require a number of dependencies for the whole pack. I will however list the dependencies for each individual lot if you don't want the whole set.

If you are thinking that this lot is simple and not detailed enough, well you are correct! I have reduced the detail because it is a fuel storage tank and not a factory. Don't panic, because there will be some factory and processing plants that will include more detail.

Thanks for reading... more are on their way 44.gif

Edit: Changed title from 'Industrial Lot Pack' to 'Industrial Lot Project'.

Edited by hittwice99  

That looks really good, nice idee. Superb lotting, I don't normally DL stuff like this but I will now make an exception. Looks great and I can't wait for it to be available on the STEX

Well done mate,

Richard