• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crazychickensc12

Suburb to city

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • I have jus conquered creating some nice looking suburbs but now i need some ideas for the conversion from suburbs to outer city and then into the inner city and ideas or pictures of how i could creat a seamless transition???

thanx

• Original Poster
  • Just wondering in your city i see your region pop is 3.4 million how many maps is that because im building a whole new region and im only on my first large map with abuot 9000 people all 1x1 medium wealth and also how many commercial and industral jobs do you have?? and im really new to Sc4 like 2 weeks ago i got it im trying to create a realistic lookin city with downtown and then suburbs...nice region though i hope to make mine look like that someday

I have been working on just this issue and I think I have done fairly well with it.  here is the latest region view of my CJ, Newtopia Valley.  you can plainly see the suburbs and the urban area.  What I did was to seperate the two with a winding highway and that seems to have worked.

0001regionoverview2ei.jpg

here is a closer view of the suburb/urban transition.

001nicoverview6po.jpg

I think the trees help a little, but then again, I think trees help everything 3.gif

If you want to learn about making good transitions between suburb/urban areas, try looking at some real life examples using Mapquest or Google Earth/Maps.  You can find a real life metropolitan area (like Miami or Dallas) with lots of suburbs and see how the transitions (both in terms of road layout and building density) look between the downtown and the outlying areas.  Checking out real life cities is usually the best way to learn how to make your sim cities more realistic.  Hope that helped 48.gif!

• Original Poster
  • nice i like that what is the population of that region?? thats the one thing i dont like about suburbs is you have to have a lot of them for a good population im using the urban housing mod here are 2 pics.. o yah and how do you make your pics appear like that you have to click on mine

what i would do is go from large grid/random asymetrical road layout to a stricter grid. also mix commercial and residential. try to keep it as low-rise as possible

Since you have to build a nice suburb before you can think about converting it into a city, its good that we're discussing suburbs. From my experience, cities and suburbs are fundamentally laid out differently (city blocks vs. meandering streets), and I have yet to convert a modernish suburban sprawl into a high-rise center.

Tips for building a good suburb: definitely read STomnibus's tutorial that he so generously pasted above.

Basically, from my GoogleEarth trips to the major cities, as well as driving and flying near many suburbs in the US, I' ve realized a few things.
    1. Usually, unlike contiguous city-block style developments, suburbs definitely are more neighborhood-oriented.  That is, there is a clear boundary between one development and another, often in the form of an avenue, treeline, hill, or the streets between two developments won't flow into one another as they do within neighborhoods.
    2. Often, access to roads and higher traffic networking is limited.  Instead of every street connecting, there will often be a handful of streets specifically connecting the neighborhood to the road.
    3. Rarely do suburbs have residential lots attached to roads or avenues. Instead, they will be connected to a parallel street, and often trees instead will  border the road.  Not only does this increase property value but its provides future expansion space for the road into avenue, or avenue into highway (both in real life and in the game).
    4. I'd suggest making liberal use of the PEG random forest lots.  They are cheap and look great, especially if you can't afford a grass lot for every unfilled tile.
    5. Referring back the the last number. Often, it actually looks better to build your streets so that the lots you put in don't take up all the space between streets. In other words, if you can't stretch two lots and there is space in between or in the middle of a block (or loop, etc) then fill it in with trees.
    6. Learn the hotkeys for laying zones.
    7. Download the Oct 2005 Network addon mod. I find the diagonal streets are essential.
    8. Oh, and use lots of cul du sacs (dead ends). if you have the network addon mod, you will get really cool turnarounds at the ends of streets, just loop your streets around to form a donut at the end of it.

One thing to note is that while suburbs generally look very random, the general structure is still a grid. Take a look at a few of the real life pictures cybersite posted and you can see the "supergrid" with meandering streets inside. So, downtown you might have a supergrid block that is grided inside, however in the suburbs, that same supergrid is filled with dead-end neighborhoods.