Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bLUEbYTE

Explanation needed about Freight trains

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Hi,

I know that freight rail stations are used to transfer industrial goods, but there are points that are not completely clear for me:

- Between what zones, they transfer the products? Ind-Ind or Ind-Com?

- Are the producs to the freight stations transported by road? (trucks)

- Are they viable?

- They are (very?) useful between industry zones and seaport, but not for airports, right?

- Is garbage transported via the freight network?

Thanks.

As far as I know they NEVER go to any ZONE per say.. they will go

1. Off map (their favorite place)

2. Water docks .. oops I mean SEAPORTS.. getting old.. 4.gif (which is another way to represent "off map"

I believe it is purely an artifact to represent "trade" in the game.. nothing more.. and it always is trying to go "away"

3. Oh and to "freight stations" which are to..... (you guessed it) Go OFF MAP.. 4.gif

Garbage is only transported by the road based networks.

If you use the freight station mod (search the stex), you can use freight stations to transfer freight trains to the seaport.

I'm not sure what Eskiman meant. I have had both rail and roads transfer freight to seaports (at least i'd swear I have??) Once the freight leaves an industry, it has ONLY ONE GOAL and that is to get "off map" .. oh.. and it doesn't show up on the connection's other side.. it just vanishes into "SimNation" 4.gif Oh, but I do put freight stations into my seaport network..so maybe that's why. I didn't use any mods at that time. And freight will leave in giant streams off map via ROAD or RAIL or SEAPORTS if you build the "connections" to off-map. I'm not sure about FERRIES.. I don't think I recall freight taking a ferry off-map, but I won't swear it never does.

EDIT: I was wrong about this for SC4. I was confusing it with the old seaports using in SC3000U. My apologies. IF I put a station at the seaport, it simply takes part of the freight and sends it .. (you guessed it) OFF MAP.. 4.gif

It's also worth pointing out that "off map" can mean an adjacent city within your region that either is or is not developed yet, and into adjacent regions. If you don't have enough connections for your freight, you'll get a message about the industrial goods piling up. Off map freight simulates the macro economy, while regional and inter-city transport is the micro economy.

It appears the sims prefer to ship industrial good on rail instead of truck, but it won't go out of it's way to find a freight station. Medium/heavy industry and the parts of farms with buildings, if they are adjacent to a rail tile will load their freight directly onto the tracks without need of a station. If this looks too goofy you can plop rail spurs next to your industry tiles. With farms, you're sort of stuck as to where the main tile gets placed, so often you'll need a local freight station if you want to take the load off your streets.

If you're playing a rural area, don't be too quick to place a freight station. You may want the traffic from the freight trucks to help stimulate demand for commercial zones. Early on the freight traffic may be two or three times the residential commuter traffic. Once you're traffic volume is up and you wish to take a load off your streets rather than upgrade them to roads, then go ahead and plop a freight station. Freight stations also make a great justification for laying out a small village at the street/rail transit junction.

By "stimulate the commerce" I assume you mean "customer" level? I didn't know it counted freight as customer.. 4.gif learn summ'n new every day.. Also I DON"T THINK.. tho I may be wrong.. pretty sure tho.. .that freight doesn't count as "traffic" for congestion.. they seem to work like buses..

Regarding freight stimulating commerce; it's an observation, but I don't have proof from some insight into the game mechanics. Working rural areas, though, freight traffic is probably one of the largest sources of traffic on the side streets.

I'm pretty sure freight trucks count against congestion, because most of my paved areas are streets, and I'll get yellow and red status around feeder streets that bring produce trucks out to the main road. In many cases the freight counts as 40-60% of the total traffic, partly because the farm residences don't have to commute more than 20 - 30 tiles to their jobs.

Has anybody got them to work? My freight stations have always a zero usage. Someone in the past said they work for farms only.

I get them to work, but the path through the rails have to be shorter than the path over the roads. I run my rails very straight, first piece of transportation infrastructure that gets laid.

Freight stations WORK FINE.. I don't know what you are doing wrong.. perhaps you can fire us a screenshot of your city.. if you have FREIGHT, a FREIGHT STATION, and RAIL & ROADS PROPERLY ATTACHED to the stations then they JUST WORK [The ARROW on the "placement tool" MUST point to the ROAD .. the TRACK may pass touching on any of the other sides] .. no trick to it.. Recall the rail from the station MUST LEAD TO A connection off the edge.

Oh infoscott.. I made a test city following your posts (Just a small city square COVERED with farms and a few houses interspersed) and used it to try to test our questions.. As far as I can see freight doesn't count as traffic.. If you aren't using any NAM type plugins, the streets turn red at 100 cars... all other traffic.. busses, trucks, pedestrians, etc seem not to count. I will admit I didn't test it far enough to PROVE it.. (I have the NAM 2x plugin and it has to hit 200 cars and I couldnt get taht many trucks on the road.. but I had 141 trucks and nearly 100 cars and it was yellow only at intersections where two heavy roads ADD traffic together where I'd get a barely red intersection) I even slapped down a few dirty industries to try to get the count up. You might do this test yourself.. it was kinda fun actually just slapping stuff down and not worrying about anything.. hehe..

Also the trucks were perfectly happy to LOOP AROUND several streets to get to the FREIGHT STATION in PREFERENCE to a nearer ROAD off=map connector, though it did send plenty of traffic via the road, too. But I am not sure how it makes its decisions as to how to route it. I have the "PERFECT PATH" mod on my city so your milage may vary.. 4.gif