Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Growth Pains

Sign in to follow this  
TigerXtrm

Ah! The joy of a growing city. So many things that happen. For instance, people started looking at the lonely stores on the road to Mount Jordan and noticed that they were making a killer profit. And if one person is making a profit damn well everyone should be making a profit, so it wasn't long before a lot more stores popped up along the road.

594961636.jpg

The stores alongside the busy road.

594994458.jpg

Speaking of people taking opportunities, the new road leading to Westwood was well received. Not only did it finally make the settlement reachable for traffic, it also gave access to the fertile ground west of the settlement. Requests for large patches of farmland were put in with the council and since there was plenty of space, soon the first farms popped up nextdoor.

596093829.jpg

First farms show up west of the settlement.

Meanwhile, over at Mount Jordan, the first signs of industry sprouted at the base of the mountain. Research buildings, production. More and more companies wanted to build their factories out here, next to a reliable power source and where the ground was still cheap. Lines were litteraly forming at the Westwood city hall and plots of land were given out faster than the zoning officials could design.

Late 1907 it was decided by the city of Westwood that the influx of industry, while good for the development of the settlement, should not at the same time hold it back. Council was worried that to many factories right next to the residents, on the other side of the railline, would cause growth to stagger. And that would mean losing money. Any future industry would have to settle around the base of Mount Jordan, away from the main residents.

596641813.jpg

The start of the industrial annex, close to the Mount Jordan power plant.

Elsewhere, the new road was having a positive effect on the area. New farmland, new houses, more jobs. Only downside was... more cars. The T-section that led to the rail crossing and to Mount Jordan was becoming packed with cars and accidents were becoming a morning routine everyone left home 30 minutes early for.

596286786.jpg

The dreaded T-section.

596309952.jpg

Yay for traffic lights!

The settlement had grown so much since the first row of houses a few years back. It was becoming hard to keep calling it a settlement. So on January 5th, 1908, the settlement officially became a town with it's own name. Welcome to Jordan!

596541598.jpg

The unstoppable growth of Jordan.

596751170.jpg

Regional shot.

Sign in to follow this  

9 Comments

Recommended Comments

Ive been looking for this journal for some time now . Reminds me a bit of the current city im working on... It's always great to see a metropolis bud from a small settlement.

Share this comment

Tigeriffic!

I suggest a trip to the STEX to get a water, rock and terrain mod, this will give your cities their own personalised look.   You can use single road tiles to flatten out building sites before zoning...  (demolish first)  this avoids the foundations.

Share this comment

abcvs: I use the flattening method in other cities but for this one I decided not to do so. Only in extreme circumstances where I really need flat terrain, but other than that I like the city forming around the terain and not the other way around.

Share this comment

Sumwonyuno: Railways are always as straight as possible to make the risk of derailment as small as possible. Remember that this part of the railline was originally meant for getting from point A to point B as fast as possible.

Share this comment

This is the first CJ I'm reading/visiting. I liked the storyline so far. simple and alive.

Share this comment