• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Sign in to follow this  
400Z9

Newcastle wasn't even recognised in the maps, atlas or even tourist maps; the town was a shame to the country. Newcastle was a backwater and an extremely sleepy town with less than 30 permanent inhabitants. As you drive around, you might notice that there are no big-brand companies such as McDonalds, all retail and shops in the town are self-managed by small business owners. There are only one petrol station, located at the edge of town. Only one "educational facility" to serve the town, small medical clinic with one doctor - no police station; no nightclubs, no "high-end" taverns, bars or pubs. The locals are extremely lazy but friendly, most of the locals never saw a single tourist, Newcastle are not recommended by the tourism promoters, they deemed a vacation in Newcastle as a total waste of the time.

By the contrast, Newcastle have one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the landscape was extremely beautiful, there are so many natural cliffs and steep hills edging all around the unusual-shaped mountains and so many small coves around The Gulf, with beaches dotted along the coastline. There are a massive monument sitting on the top of Mount Royal overlooking Newcastle and its foresty mountains. The locals are undeniably proud of the surrounding landscape, especially the North Beach, Craigs Cove and Bligh Hill.

IN 1987 Newcastle, the locals are very different back then. I remember what the life was like in Newcastle less than thirty years ago, I used to go to the only school in the town, with 2 of other students. Teachers travel all the way from the big city to teach us two times a week, which it is Tuesday and Thursday. I remember having a stroll down the narrow main road that leads us to North Beach and have a quick swim. I have a few friends, only about two or three of them, I was hoping for a new baby to be delivered so the baby will grow up here and be friends with me. I've never seen a new baby since 1984 (that's when Samuel was born) et alone new inhabitant from the big city. Almost every weekend during the scorching summer, we would go to the local ice cream store down at Millers Street and feast ourselves with a nice and cold ice cream. It was the most surreal feeling, and also a feeling of being peace, without any worries or stress. Newcastle was so small, you could even walk from North Beach to the furthest part of the town in five minutes tops. I really hate where I live, because my house is located at the top of the hill on Park Street, and it was the town's steepiest functional street. I remember the pain of walking up and down every school day, before school and coming home after school. It was terrible.

My name is Joshua, and I am only one of three children under nine (who lives in the town), and also only one of two children who go to local school. I am lonely, because I cannot hear.

cxlscreenshotnewcastle3.jpg

cxlscreenshotnewcastle4.jpg

The housing developments at the new suburb - Hashen Cove.

The lands for houses rarely get sold, or even developed.

cxlscreenshotnewcastle1.jpg

City Beach in 1987, but in my time, it was called "No Man's Land" and it was the popular area for fishing. No one seems to swim down there. City Beach today is really different.

cxlscreenshotnewcastle2.jpg

The picture of Newcastle town centre in 1987 and the famous North Beach.

Sir? Can you please wait for a moment for me to fiddle through my photo albums? I think I have one really good picture of Newcastle in 1988, I'll find it for you.

Sign in to follow this  

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.