Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Parakeet Quay and the city today

Powertothekosovans

Introduction

Greetings fellow Simtropolitans! I would like to share with you a city of mine which I have been nurturing over the past couple of years- from the mud of an old industrial estate to a thriving commercial megacentre. Until recently this flagship city was blandly dubbed 'Metropolis', but to celebrate its second birthday (actually, in the game it is 137 years old!) I have lovingly re-named it Paragonia, as I believe it is a shining reflection of the qualities found in many big cities across the world; a balance of old and new and of nature and concrete.

overviewm.th.jpg

Paragonia is loosely based around specific areas of real life cities. Most of my inspiration has been drawn from the cities of London, New York and Paris (clichéd I know!), but I feel it has given the city an interesting character that doesn't look out of place.

The main purpose of this journal will be to describe several areas of my city which I feel contribute the most to its character and beauty. I will also point out certain things I have added or modified within the game which I feel makes the experience of SimCity 4 far more immersive and fun in an attempt to give you all ideas for how you can improve your own city!

Parakeet Quay

parakeetquay.th.jpg

This is the first district of Paragonia I decided to redevelop, and I wanted to give the impression that the development focused around a derelict trading wharf, much like The Isle of Dogs in London. The idea was to create a body of water which would encroach on the city centre then taper off, cutting out an island-like piece of land which I would then develop on.

fenchurch.th.jpg

The designs were taken directly from the layout of the Canary Wharf with the relevant building beings placed as they would appear in real life. The project, from conception to completion, took about three hours of work. However, I feel the outcome was worth it!

The water models used were from SimGoober's Canal Set and the towers were from NDEX.

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

I would love to comment. I love your backstory. But I can't see the pictures! Go find a hosting sight like imageshack.us and embed them instead 'o attaching pics! You'll get way more views and a higher rating! And more pictures too couldn't hurt :)

Alex

Share this comment

I can say it does not look half bad. Not at all. But there is one thing you are missing, and I particularly love it: suburbs. Your city is looking good, just follow the tips above and you will be fine :P

Share this comment

Thanks for the feedback Exla357 and Whysomadyo, I have hosted the images on ImageShack so hopefully they should be viewable now. Let me know if the images are an ok size :)

Share this comment