Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A199999999

Help me!!

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Can anyone help me! My CD has numerous scratches after my sister took it out ant left it in a plie of junk. Whenever i try to load a city the game crashes and whenever i try to load blank land it loads but as ocean and when i try to terraform, the game crashes! so in general i cant play Sim City and rush hour at all!! If i get a new RH(rush hour)CD will it load into that or do i have to just wipe out all my sc 4 stuff and start all over! that would %$#% suck! is there any way to fix the badly scratched CD or is my current sim city stuff doomed???CAN ANYONE HELP!?!?!?brokenheart.gif

A new installation will not wipe out your current sc4 stuff, but to be on the safe side always make a back up of your Regions and Plugins folders. In fact, I would recommend that to anyone irrespective of whether or not they are going to do a reinstal. As for the disc being badly scratched, you could ask at your local computer store if they have any disc cleaning facilities, as some shops can restore scratched discs (well our local one can), so that might be a cheaper alternative to buying again. However, once a disc has been damaged it is always best to replace it, so I would recommend getting a new copy and making sure that this time your sister can't get at it.

Hey there, the CD shouldn't have too much effect on Simcity crashing, because once Simcity has loaded up, it no longer needs the CD. So its either a mod thats messing up your game, or something might be incompatible with Simcity. I suggest that you backup all your cities mods etc. before messing wiht anything

A tip on scratched disks.

If the disk is not scratched through to the metal layer, you can carefully polish it with Brasso (Brass Polish) to effect the removal of scratches. The recording is actually on the metal substrate.

If you do this, and you can successfully read the disk, copy it using the most stringent bit by bit copy you have making sure you duplicate the "damaged" sectors. Polishing a disk with Brasso makes it thinner, and more likely to be damaged.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the tips! after i deleted a mountian cap snow mod the game went back to normal, I guess it wasent the disk. Thanks again.

A moderator can now close this or you can just let this topic "die".

Be carful with buffering the cd though if you over do it you could damage your cd permantly. Plus never lend your cd to your sister again.