Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pioni

Region map problem

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I have SimCity 4 + Rush Hour + all available SC4 updates installed. It's been running without crashes for quite a long time now and I haven't done any driver updates in at least a year. Anyway, recently I encountered a problem that causes Simcity to sometimes freeze during exit or save. Last time it crashed right after save meaning that now I have a broken region map with simply a hole where one of my cities used to be. I can't load the city, because it can't be selected. Changing resolution did not help (I hoped it'd draw the maps again). Because a picture tells more than a thousand words, look at the attached picture of San Francisco region map. Please help. I need my city back.

I had one save on a large area city take a long time.  I thought it froze as well.  I just let it do it's thing and went to bed as I had planned.  When I woke up, the game was at the region area.  If you stopped the game the first time it appeared to freeze, then this would result in a corrupt file being created, which is what it sounds like has happened (either personnally or computer caused).

It doesn't help, but...

Check the directory for the region. If the city is present, create a sandbox region and pick a city of the same size. Then try to iimport the city. If it fails, the chances are your city is corrupt.

Check your region and make sure that the city is there, if it is then back up your region and reinstall the game. When I moved to another computer I reinstalled the game and put the old regions in the new regions folder in my documents. It worked fine same with plugins. Now if you the city is not in the region file that is in my documents then some how it was deleted or corrupt. Tough luck. Also what does your neighbor cities do, can you still make deals or connections with the "hole"

• Original Poster
  • I can still make deals and connections with the hole. As far as I know, the city lives normally, it only can't be selected from the region map because it doesn't have thumbnail or whatever it is. Can I somehow load the city without selecting it from the region map? I think the problem would be solved by saving the city again.

Originally posted by: N_O_Body

This may sound silly, but try importing it, in place. If it works, do an immediate save (CTRL+S).quote>

Not silly at all this just might work. Save the file somewere else and import it. Or like I said you might have to reinstall the game and import everything back to the region.

• Original Poster
  • Importing didn't help at all. The imported city shows as a new hole in region. I guess the city was permanently expletive deleted. I don't know how Maxis does things, but I'd make the save function to save city in a new file and when (and only when) successfull, replace the original city. This way the problem wouldn't be possible.

It's gone now. I'm starting from empty map and will build a better city. Thanks to everyone!