Sign in to follow this  
Infinitum80

Now I have seen everything

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

So we know how to play SimCity 2013 offline - we have been shown how so EA felt it needed to respond indirectly to this

http://www.ea.com/news/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

I hate to disturb you when you’re playing SimCity, but I’d like to offer some straight answers on the topic: Always-Connected and why SimCity is not an offline experience

Always-Connected is a big change from SimCities of the past.  It didn’t come down as an order from corporate and it isn’t a clandestine strategy to control players.  It’s fundamental to the vision we had for this SimCity.  From the ground up, we designed this game with multiplayer in mind – using new technology to realize a vision of players connected in regions to create a SimCity that captured the dynamism of the world we live in; a global, ever-changing, social world.

Multiplayer in mind?
So something in them said "Players want to play with other cities online" - where did this come from? The outrage regarding this suggests it didn't come from the players, so where?

If Blizzard decided to take WoW offline for some reason and used the same excuse, there would be uproar. I have no doubt that there are some WoW players that would prefer to play offline and some SC players who want to play online but the majority in these cases suggests that you design a model to fit their demand and then treat the secondary model as an option.

SC offline + option to go online? That would have been fine!

We put a ton of effort into making our simulation and graphics engines more detailed than ever and to give players lively and responsive cities. We also made innovative use of servers to move aspects of the simulation into the cloud to support region play and social features. Here’s just a few:

• We keep the simulation state of the region up to date for all players.  Even when playing solo, this keeps the interactions between cities up to date in a shared view of the world.
  • Players who want to reach the peak of each specialization can count on surrounding cities to provide services or resources, even workers.  As other players build, your city can draw on their resources.
  • Our Great Works rely on contributions from multiple cities in a region.  Connected services keep each player’s contributions updated and the progression on Great Works moving ahead.
  • All of our social world features - world challenges, world events, world leaderboards and world achievements - use our servers to update the status of all cities.
  • Our servers handle gifts between players.
  • We’ve created a dynamic supply and demand model for trading by keeping a Global Market updated with changing demands on key resources.
  • We update each city’s visual representation as well.  If you visit another player’s city, you’ll see the most up to date visual status.
  • We even check to make sure that all the cities saved are legit, so that the region play, leaderboards, challenges and achievements rewards and status have integrity.

So here it is ladies and gents - we have gone from "Complex calculations that need to be run on the server" to "Online is just about running the region and social stuff. Which is pretty much what we have figured out ourselves.

So instead of saying "We screwed up, we lied to you, we are sorry" they say "Actually what we meant to say about online is that it does all of this... can you just forget we said the other stuff please?"

Lucy Bradshaw and EA are stupid or they think we are stupid, either way stupid comes into it!

Cloud-based saves and easy access from any computer are another advantage of our connected features.  You can pop from work to home, play the game and have your cities available to you anywhere.

So now she thinks we are playing the game at work?

I don't know about you but my work doesn't let me play facebook games let alone full blown install to harddrive PC games.

Bizzare!

Almost all of our players play with connected cities. But some chose to play alone – running the cities themselves.   But whether they play solo or multiplayer, they are drawn to the connected city experience. And Always-Connected provides a platform for future social features that will play out over regions and servers.

How do you know they are DRAWN to the connected experience?
Have you polled people?

The only draw players have is the handcuffed requirement to play online, it isn't a draw it is a requirement and stop making it sound like players want this, we don't. Let those that do click the "play online" button whilst the rest of us will pick "play offline" - that choice was taken away from us and to come out saying it was decided for us because that is what you not only thought we WANTED but that we continue to WANT is beyond arrogant and extremely insulting.

Poll the players, ask them - they dont want it online and whilst you will get SOME that do, stating SOME as ALL is lies at worst, incorrect at best.

The game we launched is only the beginning for us – it’s not final and it never will be.  In many ways, we built an MMO.

They used the 3 magic letter word that has completely been avoided until now.

Why not just call this SC: Online and market it as an MMO?
... well because players would have kicked off long before launch and the trap-money they wouldn't have got otherwise would be spent elsewhere

So, could we have built a subset offline mode?  Yes.  But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision. 

Your vision?
I appreciate Maxis is a creative work and they have reign to do as they please but this isn't an indie game, this is a £45 ($60) billed product and when you charge so much money for something you go past the "This is my creative work I hope you like it" into "We have to build something people want"

I won't go so far as to say the communities vision is stronger or more important than maxis

What I will say is that community deserved consideration, even a smidge and it got none

We did not focus on the “single city in isolation” that we have delivered in past SimCities.  We recognize that there are fans – people who love the original SimCity – who want that.  But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality.

Single City Isolation?
A nice way to put down the version of the game most players wanted.

Categorizing that there are SOME fans who want offline but 1000s who love the functionality - this is saying that the offline fans are in the minority.

We aren't

You can skew figures to say anything - I can say there are 1000s of anything and compare it to some of another thing but it doesnt make it right.

The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology.    

So I’ll finish with another HUGE thanks to everyone who stuck with us through this launch.  Hundreds of thousands are building and sharing cities online now.  And what you’re creating just blows us away.  SimCity is a special game, with a very special community of players, and we’re proud to be a part of it.

I almost want to start picketing this crazy ladies house and the offices she works at.

This is worse political speak than we get from our political leaders.

MOST fans want Offline

MOST fans never wanted Online

I don't have fancy number as such Lucy does but I know how to read the pulse of a gaming community and this one from the players, the community members (forum posters, chatters, bloggers etc), reviewers, youtube posters, magazines are all screaming the same thing.

You only have to read the twitter feed of Simcity to see propoganda in action live.

Its beyond fluff and just had some random twitter responds saying "I am glad you enjoy the game, post some pictures of your cities" where I reckon for every 1 fluff tweet there are 10 less fluffy ones and no surprise they arent getting commented on by EA.

Its one thing to go against our interests and make a game the most of us dont think is good enough

Its another to say that is what we wanted

Its like assualting some and saying they asked for it!

Yeah its double speak all the way. These people go to school to learn how to do public relations. Thats fancy speak for lying to masses of people. Same breed as politicians

• Original Poster
  • The best thing about it all is the comments underneath the article post

Streams of people complaining with 100 positive thumbs up

You get the occasional "stop moaning, i love the game" comments which get -100 thumbs

And to make things even funnier, the only post Maxis replies to in the entire chain of pain is someone saying that they love the game, the reply says "Thank you, we hope others see it this way soon" and that reply got many thumbs down where people responded saying "Maxis, how come you are replying to the ONLY comment that is being positive and not addressing the negative"

Seems like this is EA all over from here on in.

I think we have to honestly consider abandoning SC - Gone are the days of proprietary fixed content that is only set to one game.

LOL, HON, DOTA and DOTA2 are examples of this - basically the exactly same game but with some visual tweaks

So why can't we start looking to Steam and Kickstarter for the next SC - we waited 10+ years for a decent SC game and they got it wrong - i hate this, i really want to play this game but i really cant stand what they have done to us.

ok so they lied its not exactly the first time a big company like ea have lied (and from such a sexy lady) i see this as a good thing in a way yes the online is needed for the leaderboards and all that rubbish we cant get now but i look at it this way in the future it leads the way to a possible offline patch and/or if the servers are switched off to make the game an offline model (they cant exactly lie again as shes blatently said what the online is required for). tbh i don't really care whether its online or offline all i care about is that they fix the bugs the bsod issues that users on amd chipsets are having (me) 

Ever heard of the Big Lie theory? A concept that builds upon the innate desire of people to want to believe. It is part of business development as a science as much as it is an integral part of any other science from psychology to game theory. Continuing the lie and enhancing it is required in order to control the eventual messaging left after upheavals, resulting in a general awareness equal to the content of the lie, and not the actual truth. 

A concept very related to this is that of "the victor writes history", another more simple example is found in our legal system today (the biggest budget buys the longest breath and thus "justice").

Almost all of our players play with connected cities. But some chose to play alone – running the cities themselves.   But whether they play solo or multiplayer, they are drawn to the connected city experience. And Always-Connected provides a platform for future social features that will play out over regions and servers.

How do you know they are DRAWN to the connected experience?

Have you polled people?

The only draw players have is the handcuffed requirement to play online, it isn't a draw it is a requirement and stop making it sound like players want this, we don't. Let those that do click the "play online" button whilst the rest of us will pick "play offline" - that choice was taken away from us and to come out saying it was decided for us because that is what you not only thought we WANTED but that we continue to WANT is beyond arrogant and extremely insulting.

Poll the players, ask them - they dont want it online and whilst you will get SOME that do, stating SOME as ALL is lies at worst, incorrect at best. 

Yeah. And just because almost all the players play in connected cities, doesn't mean that they actually interact. For we know, two players in a region do not have a highway connecting between them. I remember a part in one of Haljackey's videos where he asked why all the road networks aren't even connected. Only four cities could connect in one network and there was four road networks. What was the point of bringing 16 cities together if they were going to be divided anyway.

Also, players, for all we know, may choose to ignore their neighbors for most of the time they are playing in their city.

The best thing about it all is the comments underneath the article post

Streams of people complaining with 100 positive thumbs up

You get the occasional "stop moaning, i love the game" comments which get -100 thumbs

And to make things even funnier, the only post Maxis replies to in the entire chain of pain is someone saying that they love the game, the reply says "Thank you, we hope others see it this way soon" and that reply got many thumbs down where people responded saying "Maxis, how come you are replying to the ONLY comment that is being positive and not addressing the negative"

Seems like this is EA all over from here on in.

I think we have to honestly consider abandoning SC - Gone are the days of proprietary fixed content that is only set to one game.

LOL, HON, DOTA and DOTA2 are examples of this - basically the exactly same game but with some visual tweaks

So why can't we start looking to Steam and Kickstarter for the next SC - we waited 10+ years for a decent SC game and they got it wrong - i hate this, i really want to play this game but i really cant stand what they have done to us.

Lol. I saw that comment too. That was really funny.