Sign in to follow this  
Platypus5

Sims living commercial offices?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

My cities are constantly plagued with this mysterious unemployment issue. T

The number of high income jobs outnumber the number of high income earners, and yet unemployment is still rampart among them. Trafffic and commute times dont' seem to be a particular issue either. Demand is high, the population has good health and education (large hospital + schools elementry thru college) and I am drawing in a large profit, but I can never seem to stop th

I think it has something to do with the fact that some of my workers appear to be commuting FROM commercial buildings. when I use the route finder (this is rush hour) many offices will have "commute" arrows extending to other offices

Is this normal, and is this where all of my jobs are going? If so, I am going to be pissed.

post-557507-0-36618300-1352692973_thumb.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks Moose. Unfortunately, I will need to wait until I can get the admin to type in her password. (Long story)

I must admit, I found the instructions in the link a little confusing... (what is a DAT file?)

Thanks Moose. Unfortunately, I will need to wait until I can get the admin to type in her password. (Long story)

I must admit, I found the instructions in the link a little confusing... (what is a DAT file?)

A .dat file is a data base file that is used by the game to save its tables on disk. When read into memory, these data are moved into the tables that drives the game. The game is table driven.

If you need help with this, I suggest you get someone who is more computer aware than you are to do it. As I recall, this fix means that one of the game's main files is modified using the ilive reader. This is tricky enough for experienced people, and if you have no leaning towards computer science and programming, you will definitely need help to do this.

• Original Poster
  • Is there anyone in particular I should contact? (Aside from my system administrator) I will be seeing a computer-savvy friend in 2 weeks, but I am not entirely sure he is familiar with DAT files.

Get whoever is assisting you to be sure to read and understand the tutorial. It is written for computer aware people and should not be all that hard to follow. Be damned sure you back up any files that are going to be altered. If this operation should fail you would definitely want to put them back.

If you modify the game files, then you can't do a reinstall without saving the altered files first. After a reinstall, you will have to put the altered files back.

I suggest you should also spend some serious time with your computer aware friends and learn as much as you can about the file system, the operating system, and go through the

• Original Poster
  • Get whoever is assisting you to be sure to read and understand the tutorial. It is written for computer aware people and should not be all that hard to follow. Be damned sure you back up any files that are going to be altered. If this operation should fail you would definitely want to put them back.

If you modify the game files, then you can't do a reinstall without saving the altered files first. After a reinstall, you will have to put the altered files back.

I suggest you should also spend some serious time with your computer aware friends and learn as much as you can about the file system, the operating system, and go through the

Thank you, Moose. I will do just that. In the mean time, I can live with the dilapidated buildings.

I have this problem myself. When you zone Commercial over the top of Residential development, the game seems to not always (and in the case of a custom Commercial building growing where a custom Residential building with the same footprint was in quick succession, almost never) clean up the table that stores information about residents. The end result is this: Sims not realising their houses have been demolished to make way for Commercial development and continuing to commute from the commercial lot.

You can fix the problem if it appears on a particular lot by dezoning the entire lot, letting the game run for an in-game month, then rezoning it to what you want it to be.

This ensures that trash data in the table is properly cleaned up.

• Original Poster
  • Wait. I realized I forgot to mention something:

I have no addons or patches whatsoever. If it didn't come with the Steam download, I don't have it.

The Steam download is version 1,1,641, and is complete with all published patches.

You are free to add any plugins you like to your user structure. Stay away from Steam's structure in Program Files and you'll be OK. You might want to learn more about both your system and the way Steam has installed the game before you try something like the fix for I-HT.

• Original Poster
  • If the I-HT patch came with my version of simcity4, then it appears to already have been integrated into Simcity_1.dat

In this case, how should I go about fixing the issue?

The I-HT patch is not an official patch, it's a community made one, is not included and it won't fix your current problem either.

The problem is that the game isn't cleaning up trash data properly, so the Traffic Simulator is still calculating routes from these tiles. This isn't a simple refresh from the Traffic Simulator problem, I've had lots do this for decades in-game.

Dezone the entire lot's footprint, leave the game delete the commutes then rezone it.