Sign in to follow this  
jorgen45

How do you use pics as texture for a GMAX model

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

How do you use pics as texture for a GMAX model im having trouble its easier with regular colors. example im making a water tower that is design as a coca cola bottle and i want the label placed on the bottle

This is rather advanced. You'll have to make a prop to hold the label, then letter it. Texturing is another matter, and getting the letters above the textures may mean that the lettering has to be an object in the model. The overall texture of the building just has to fit around this.

Making your own textures is easy. Just make a square item that can handle being tessellated across the surface in question. The pattern should be seamless. Just take a look at some of the textures in the library and you'll get the idea.

Your question is pretty basic, and I'm not sure if I'm doing any good answering it. There are quite a few texturing tutorials on the Omnibus and SC4D, all you have to do is pick one.

To guide you through the procedure, the steps are:

- Create a material using the texture.

- Apply the material to the object or objects you want to texture.

- Create a UVW map modifier and select the proper mapping shape, eg for a cylindrical object choose a cylindrical mapping.

- Adjust the necessary parameters, eg how many times it will be wrapping around the object, and/or resize and move the Gizmo as needed.

Hope this helps.

I am with cogeo on this. If there is no royal road to mathematics (Aristotle), then there is definitely no quick road to computer graphics. There are ample tutorials, and from your recent submissions I gather that you haven't much engaged in perusal and absorption of them.

Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes, it is a stiff climb. No, you can't do it by guess and by golly. You need solid knowledge, not a surface go over.