Sign in to follow this  
jayraymo

How to clean SC4 Deluxe without reinstall?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello, sorry if this has already been posted but is there a way to clean out your simcity without a reinstall. Since coming back to the game after a year or so I have no idea what mods are on my game so I can simply reinstall all the ones that I like. I know how to clear my plugins folder but for PEG's mods and the NAM team's mods you have no way of knowing what is in your game.

all of NAM's stuff are in the plugins. i think most mods don't tamper with the main game. and if you're only concern about cleaning the mods, then just clear it out. but saying that you wanna start fresh, i think reinstalling would do the trick. it won't really take that much time i guess. it's worth the wait. i just started playing again too and reinstalling did me good

Delete the My Documents/SimCity 4/Plugins folder and remove all non-image files (I think the game uses BMPs, and these particular files in here are vital) from Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4/Plugins.

That'll remove all mods that you have installed.

Aside:

The NAM does not touch any part of your computer aside from your MyDocs Plugins folder. I can't say the same of PEGPROD content (because I neither have all of it or am aware of its structure), though Pegasus generally only instructed you to install content to the MyDocs plugins folder.

The only mod that I can think of offhand that installs to the Root plugins folder is the DAMN, out of necessity.

Edited by jdenm8  

• Original Poster
  • Ah so that's where they are stored I was only aware of the C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe/Plugins folder where all the other things are stored.

There has to be a set of sky textures in C:\Program Files ....\SimCity 4\Plugins Be sure you don't delete them. If you do, you can retrieve them from the installation media.

You should never put anything in C:\Program Files nor fool with this area unless you are confident that you know exactly what you are doing. Stay in the user space.

To get a complete restart of the game, save whatever you may want to keep then delete the folder C:\<you>\Documents\SimCity 4. When you start the game, all the user space will be created fresh with all the default settings.

Edited by A Nonny Moose